Traildash camera input

Rebel JK

Anyone tried and tested this? Ordered camera yesterday and am curious if the screen on TD is activated only when 12v is applied to camera? Either tied in to reverse light circuit or thru toggle for undercarriage view?

leximann

I haven't tried it, but at Jeep beach the rep was telling me all about it. This is probably the only reason I'd go with the trail dash instead of the flashpaq

TheDuff

Anyone tried and tested this? Ordered camera yesterday and am curious if the screen on TD is activated only when 12v is applied to camera? Either tied in to reverse light circuit or thru toggle for undercarriage view?

Using this as an option for under vehicle poses a issue: if it is placed to view towards the front of the jeep, the picture will be flipped, sadly that's how back up cameras work. The more important question for this would be, does the camera flip the picture or does the device?
I've not tried this on my trail dash, but since its tied into the ECM, I assume it turns to the back up camera screen when the reverse sensor is triggered. I had found a pretty sweet alternative that would do what you are looking for in terms of under carriage view. I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rebel JK

Your right on the flipped image, I did a quick temp hookup and the image is flipped when facing forward. It doesn't engage in reverse automatically though you need to touch "menu" then select camera. Not a big deal as long as your patient enough for screen to wake up before backing up. You can view image while driving also if you want.
Only downside is the traildash doesn't come with the accessory circuit output for camera power, so I'll pick that up somewhere else. Don't want full time 12v to camera.

TheDuff

Got you covered there: one of the 2 cig Lighters is only on with IGN (left side I believe).

JKFlyer

Your right on the flipped image, I did a quick temp hookup and the image is flipped when facing forward. It doesn't engage in reverse automatically though you need to touch "menu" then select camera. Not a big deal as long as your patient enough for screen to wake up before backing up. You can view image while driving also if you want.
Only downside is the traildash doesn't come with the accessory circuit output for camera power, so I'll pick that up somewhere else. Don't want full time 12v to camera.

My trail dash comes on automatically w reverse. Once signal gets power, it takes over traildash

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rebel JK

My trail dash comes on automatically w reverse. Once signal gets power, it takes over traildash

I may need to play with it some more with normal power permanently hooked up.

TheDuff

It could also be an option to run it either way?

Rebel JK

Tried it again tonite and backup view popped up automatically on screen in reverse. Not sure what happened the other day. Going to be nice as I cant see jack right now with the spare tire.

Rebel JK

Needed to build a little bracket for recessing into the bumper.

ForumRunner_20140510_162714.jpg

Got it mounted, now just need to finish up the wiring.

ForumRunner_20140510_162735.jpg

JKMigs

How are you running the wiring for the power? Did you tap into the reverse light? I have to go through options to get it to pop up. Thanks

Rebel JK

Mine is now coming on automatically with reverse or manually while driving. Im not sure about JKFlyer, but I picked up an accessary circuit so that camera has power whenever the key is on, not only when the reverse circuit heats up. I think the signal (when powered)is always transmitted from camera to TD, but only displays when in reverse or manual input.

Heres a pick from last trip while in manual mode, not in reverse.

Attachments

• 20140525_144843 - Copy.jpg
    20140525_144843 - Copy.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 118

JKFlyer

How are you running the wiring for the power? Did you tap into the reverse light? I have to go through options to get it to pop up. Thanks

Yes tapped in to rev light wire

Mine is now coming on automatically with reverse or manually while driving. Im not sure about JKFlyer, but I picked up an accessary circuit so that camera has power whenever the key is on, not only when the reverse circuit heats up. I think the signal (when powered)is always transmitted from camera to TD, but only displays when in reverse or manual input.

Heres a pick from last trip while in manual mode, not in reverse.

Damn good idea. Need to do that ...but question...I thought if I did that it would power on my reverse light. Does it do that when u activate your switch?

Rebel JK

Yes tapped in to rev light wire

Damn good idea. Need to do that ...but question...I thought if I did that it would power on my reverse light. Does it do that when u activate your switch?

Negative. The rev. circuit and the aux. ckt are electrically seperate so the lights arent affected by camera status and only work when supposed to.

JKFlyer

Negative. The rev. circuit and the aux. ckt are electrically seperate so the lights arent affected by camera status and only work when supposed to.

Cool. Keep in mind that at least on mine the wires close to camera get hot when on. Not sure chespy Amazon cameras ( that's what I have) are meant to be on for long periods of time.

Top Bottom