Leak fixed? Not quite...

cyberil

Greetings from rainy England :cool:

I'm not going to bore you with details but like a lot of JK owners for the last two years my hard top has had leaks. Last week after what seemed like it's 10th visit to the dealers I screamed Eureka! when my leaks were fixed...

Until on both sides I checked the footwells and found damp where the hook in the centre clips into the mats. The damp is on the base of the rubber mats and on the carpet. Twice now I've dried out this area with large bags of crystals you get in new TV's etc. but after each rainstorm it's damp again just in this area.

Where can this moisture be coming from? It's dry by the edges of the door sills, could the drain plugs had fallen out and how easy is it to reach these. I struggled today to get much of the carpet out. If I wanted to I think I would need to unbolt the seats first.

Any ideas on what to do?

Paul

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Rainy France

Greetings from rainy England :cool:

I'm not going to bore you with details but like a lot of JK owners for the last two years my hard top has had leaks. Last week after what seemed like it's 10th visit to the dealers I screamed Eureka! when my leaks were fixed...

Until on both sides I checked the footwells and found damp where the hook in the centre clips into the mats. The damp is on the base of the rubber mats and on the carpet. Twice now I've dried out this area with large bags of crystals you get in new TV's etc. but after each rainstorm it's damp again just in this area.

Where can this moisture be coming from? It's dry by the edges of the door sills, could the drain plugs had fallen out and how easy is it to reach these. I struggled today to get much of the carpet out. If I wanted to I think I would need to unbolt the seats first.

Any ideas on what to do?

Paul

Hi,
I've been there with Rainy France and the best fix I found is cleaning the seals and reseating my hardtop and freedom tops w/out tightening the freedom tops too much (guess it warps them). The other solution (which i have now) is a garage:yup:!!! (sorry for the pun)
here is a link to a Jeep fix:

http://www.jeep-club.net/graphics/manuals/85/JK_Water_Leaks_All.pdf

Strainger

Caught the Bug
You might want to check the drain plugs to see that they are properly seated. Here in the states we have an aerosol can of liquid rubber called Flex seal or something like that. You might get under the Jeep and give the underside of the plugs a spray of that stuff and see if it helps.

cyberil

The drain plugs were in place, the water came from the door seals that have now been replaced.

Just went back to the Jeep and found on both the driver and passenger side footwells at least a few mm of water. I left the carpets in but managed to remove the four drainage plugs, which will stay off overnight to air, mopped up the surplus water and put the bags of crystals under the carpets. I reckon a few days of this and it'll be dry. Now that hopefully the source of the water is fixed that should be the problem solved. Only in a Jeep!

Strainger

Caught the Bug
Glad you found the source of your troubles. I hope the carpets remain as dry as the English humour that I have come to admire and that you have no problems in the future.

pastorwug

Glad you found the source of your troubles. I hope the carpets remain as dry as the English humour that I have come to admire and that you have no problems in the future.

true that! :clap2:

My son lives in Bristol, England - I never understand their jokes.

Top Bottom