Thoughts on the Uniden 880

TheLloyd

I know the Cobra 29... Is a great radio. But the size of it keeps throwing me off. It was fine in my big truck, but in the Jeep, well it's kinda like a large Alabama black snake, fits but it's pretty dang tight. My Cobra 29 which is nearly 15 years old decided to stop transmitting last week while in Moab. So I am now in the market for a new radio. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Uniden vs the Cobra. BTW the Cobra 75 is in the crosshairs too.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398646663.044007.jpg

I have the Cobra Ultra 19 III, inexpensive radio and smaller than the 29. Could be another option for you.

witchdoctor

All cb radios are limited by law to 4 watts transmit. So unless you plan on going in and "tweaking"... they should all perform the same.

TheLloyd

All cb radios are limited by law to 4 watts transmit. So unless you plan on going in and "tweaking"... they should all perform the same.

True, but some are made better than others. I've been reading a ton about all these radios and the only info I keep seeing is professional Truckers or HAM guys talking about mods and all the things I care less about as well that they are nice radios but one should go buy a galaxy 2000 supersonic hyper space drive continuum distorted radio that will be unlimited and unmatched in reaching the farthest reaches of space.

witchdoctor

Unless you want to spend the money for an export. Mine will do 150 watts barefoot. View attachment 80678

Same here. 150watts. But it is an illegal radio. I don't want to mislead anyone here. The biggest draw to exports and even cobra 29s and such is their ability to put channel kits in them and also peak/tweak/supermod them. A properly worked on 29 can throw out almost 30 watts

kingg5

Thanks for the 411, that's probably the most important feature I'm interested in.

I just did more research...you cannot tune this radio without an swr meter....there is not one built in. the manual does not even say a single word to that. just shows you how to adjust squelch. the digital readout is not a swr meter.

Landman

Same here. 150watts. But it is an illegal radio. I don't want to mislead anyone here. The biggest draw to exports and even cobra 29s and such is their ability to put channel kits in them and also peak/tweak/supermod them. A properly worked on 29 can throw out almost 30 watts

My 29 has roughly 25 watts and does great in hilly mountain terrain! If I had mounted my antenna on the hood it'd be even better.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rottenbelly

I have one and I like it better than my cobra75. I like that it has its own diagnostic features. It will test its own antenna and SWR's.
It can be peaked and tuned also. If you want to go that route.

munstie

I'm running the 880 and I am more than happy with it so far. Yes it is smaller and lighter and has all of the big box features.

Sent from the Zone of Influence

Attachments

• 1398694759829.jpg
    1398694759829.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Top Bottom