Steering Stabilizer Relocation

kaptkrappy

So I got tired of looking at and picking the weeds off the factory JK steering stabilizer tie rod mount.
I got a JKS SS tie rod relocation bracket for free from a fellow JK enthusiast, but I still needed to move the other end up and out of the way so I made a bracket.

This thing had to go.
SS 0.jpg

I made this. 1/4" steel plate and the pin from the factory bracket pressed into it.
SS 1.jpg SS 3.jpg

Put it here. Simple bolt on to the track bar mount.
SS 4.jpg

I put it all together with the free JKS bracket. Did I tell you I got this for free !?
SS 5.jpg

I cycled the steering left and right, and jacked up each side to make sure there was plenty of clearance for the relocated parts.
It solved all my problems. (the ones associated with the steering stabilizer anyway)

Yeti-09

Cool deal man... But why couldn't you just put a bolt threw it instead of making that backing plate?

kaptkrappy

Cool deal man... But why couldn't you just put a bolt threw it instead of making that backing plate?

Thanks, and I really thought about using one of the existing holes in the factory track bar mount, but it just didn't work out.

First, it looks like the perfect place, just stick a bolt through one of the existing 2 holes already in the factory track bar and you're done, but it would have to be extra long for the stabilizer to clear the track bar bolt sticking out.

Second, the factory bracket is stamped out of very thin steel and I didn't think it would stand up to the extra twisting of the stabilizer (because of the long bolt) being bolted to it up there.

In the picture, you can see the 2 holes. The one with the arrow doesn't have enough clearance behind it to use. The one in the circle would work, but it would have to be a special bolt and it would be bolted to very thin steel.

Third reason I didn't just put a bolt in is........ it gave me a chance to use the new drill press I had to buy to make the bracket. :thumb:

Stock Track Bar Mount 1.jpg

Yeti-09

Oh ok I'm tracking now! From the looks of the first few pics I thought you were running a track bar brace and that you added this plate to it. Didnt notice it was added to the factory location, good shit man! Thumbs up, I like it

Top Bottom