Newbie lift question

JL8

Hey guys.. I'm ready to beef up my 99 TJ sport so I've been researching as much as I can. I've looked at all the posts on here n got some ideas but I was told to roll on 35's you need a 6" lift.. Is that right?!! I like the look of the 35's but I definitely don't want a 6" lift.

I was looking into the Currie lifts but that is way too expensive at this point so I was thinking about the Rubicon Express.

My jeep is a daily driver (for now) but I want to wheel on the weekends. Any info would be appreciated!

Jiffy05

Hey guys.. I'm ready to beef up my 99 TJ sport so I've been researching as much as I can. I've looked at all the posts on here n got some ideas but I was told to roll on 35's you need a 6" lift.. Is that right?!! I like the look of the 35's but I definitely don't want a 6" lift.

I was looking into the Currie lifts but that is way too expensive at this point so I was thinking about the Rubicon Express.

My jeep is a daily driver (for now) but I want to wheel on the weekends. Any info would be appreciated!

I have a 6" lift and I wish I only went with 4". If were to do it again I would have went with 4" suspension lift and 1" body lift.

JL8

I have a 6" lift and I wish I only went with 4". If were to do it again I would have went with 4" suspension lift and 1" body lift.

Thanks Jiffy. Yea I don't want to go too big. Maybe I'll just start with a suspension lift and add to it.

Jiffy05

That's what I would do. If I didn't plan on getting rid of my jeep I would go back to a 4" and then see what got hit first by the tires and fix what I needed to.

RuffneckTwoZero

I have a 4 inch suspension and 2 inch body on 35s. It works pretty well and you don't have to worry about such steep steering/driveshaft angles. I'm thinking about switching for a 1 inch body. It's a good stance right now but I really don't like the body lift pucks. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398735446.578708.jpg

JL8

I have a 4 inch suspension and 2 inch body on 35s. It works pretty well and you don't have to worry about such steep steering/driveshaft angles. I'm thinking about switching for a 1 inch body. It's a good stance right now but I really don't like the body lift pucks. View attachment 80795

That's about the look I'm going for.. What do you mean "body lift pucks?" I haven't heard that term before. Lol. Thanks!

RuffneckTwoZero

I'm talking about the actual bushings that act as spacers from the frame to body. They resemble hockey pucks. I have since painted them black so they're less noticeable. Yes, my bumper is bent in this pic. Haha

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398737854.827703.jpg

JL8

I'm talking about the actual bushings that act as spacers from the frame to body. They resemble hockey pucks. I have since painted them black so they're less noticeable. Yes, my bumper is bent in this pic. Haha

View attachment 80797

Oh ok thanks for clarifying that. Well if it's bent that means you've had fun. Ha.

Last edited:

Roblaza

I'm on 4'' suspension with 1.25'' body on 35s. Looks decent (I think) and seems to work pretty well in the trails and rocks...

staud11

Hello! My brother ran a 6" suspesion lift with 35's and I can tell you it was scary just watching him crawl. What axles do you have? I'm assuming with your research, you have realized what it takes to run 35's/3"+ lifts.. ?

Jiffy05

With 6" of lift this moment was a lot worse than it should have been. It doesn't look that bad but it did not take much pulling to make it want to be very tippy. IMG_1335.jpg

JL8

Hello! My brother ran a 6" suspesion lift with 35's and I can tell you it was scary just watching him crawl. What axles do you have? I'm assuming with your research, you have realized what it takes to run 35's/3"+ lifts.. ?

I bet! That's too high for me. I think I'll stick with the 4" lift.. I was told as long as I get different fender flares 35's should clear it. Everything is stock right now so I understand the axles/gears will need to be changed. Not sure what route I want to take for that.. A ford 8.8 or try to find a D44? Any suggestions on that? Things just keep getting added to the list. Lol. Thanks

Jiffy05

The 8.8 is a little stronger than a D44. If you do get the 8.8 look for one from an explorer. If you don't feel like putting brackets on then go with a D44 if you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JL8

The 8.8 is a little stronger than a D44. If you do get the 8.8 look for one from an explorer. If you don't feel like putting brackets on then go with a D44 if you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok thanks Jiffy. I saw 2 on craigslist today.. One was off of a Bronco, not sure about the other but I'll look again. If you don't mind me asking.. What's different about the explorer that you say that?

staud11

The main reason i'd go with a dana 44 is because the 8.8's diff hangs lower to the ground so you lose clearance.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using WAYALIFE mobile app

staud11

I'm not to sure why people prefer the 8.8 out of the explorer, but I think its because it has disk brakes and the bolt pattern.. I'm not 100% though.

CerOf

I'm not to sure why people prefer the 8.8 out of the explorer, but I think its because it has disk brakes and the bolt pattern.. I'm not 100% though.

WMS to WMS is almost the exact same as stock. Makes for an easier build/swap compared to other options.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Jiffy05

Ok thanks Jiffy. I saw 2 on craigslist today.. One was off of a Bronco, not sure about the other but I'll look again. If you don't mind me asking.. What's different about the explorer that you say that?

I believe the Explorer has slightly larger shafts. I know they have more splines for sure and they are stronger. I'm sure one from a Bronco would be fine also.

Edit: Here's a link that you may find helpful. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?371713-8-8-FACTS-OPINIONS-amp-HOW-TO-S-(F-A-Q-)

Last edited:

Yorkie

glad you have a thread going so i didnt have to start another one. im in the same process with trying to get everything needed for 35s as well. from what ive found is people look for 8.8s because they're stronger then the 44s. ive been bouncing around between the two and im leaning towards a d44 because its a bolt right in and no fab work is needed. if your tj isnt your dd and you have time to have your axle out and spend some time measuring and what not i would go with the 8.8, but if your driving it daily a nice bolt up axle is always nice lol. i did find a website that sells 8.8 pre welded to fit along with anything you might wana add (detroit trutac, gear ratio, no calipers,brake pads, drive shafts really you name it). if you just go with what you need really it comes to around 950 or something close to that, which isnt a bad deal when you think about all the welding and work that may need to be done.

Top Bottom