Decisions... Need some help

moorecb3

So I recently installed my lift and I'm already dieing to get 35s. The only prob is I have 3.21 gears in my 2011 sport. So my next two mods are gonna be tires and gears but with funds right now I can only do one at a time. Which should i do first??

So I recently installed my lift and I'm already dieing to get 35s. The only prob is I have 3.21 gears in my 2011 sport. So my next two mods are gonna be tires and gears but with funds right now I can only do one at a time. Which should i do first??

Have you though about keeping the money ear marked for gears and when you get the funds for tires and wheels do them all at once. Just a thought. If you have a place to store the gears then I would get the gears and then hold on to them until you can do both.

R/
Will

moorecb3

It's a 2.5 but really a little over 3 inches. I totally agree with all of you guys on doing both at the same time it's what I really want to do but the next few months I literally only have to drive two miles back and forth to work that's why I considered doing tires first. I'll prob not be happy untill I get gears tho..

TheStick

It's a 2.5 but really a little over 3 inches. I totally agree with all of you guys on doing both at the same time it's what I really want to do but the next few months I literally only have to drive two miles back and forth to work that's why I considered doing tires first. I'll prob not be happy untill I get gears tho..

If that is the case go for it. It will be a dog but going slow will make it easier for people to see your new meats :cheesy:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
If that is the case go for it. It will be a dog but going slow will make it easier for people to see your new meats :cheesy:

:cheesy::cheesy:

I have a 2 door 2012, with 3:21's I am going to go with 35"'s then gear later at least I will be able to enjoy some of the trail with everyone.:twocents::idontknow:

moorecb3

What I would be running would prob feel similar my only concern is every few weekends I do have to drive ~100 miles on the highway

andrew2336

has anyone drove their jeep with the 3.21s and 35s before re gearing?

Hey man. I actually just did this less than a month ago. I have a 2011, 6 speed with 3.21. I just got 35's. Honestly I notice the difference for sure, but its not anything I can't deal with while saving the money to regear (which is definitely in the future, but its worth it to have the tires now).

I will add that I bought a Flashpaq and am running the 87 tune. So that probably helps a lot, but still.

If you're going to mostly use it as a DD (like mine) you should be fine. You won't be able to go fast and its true you pretty much lose 6th...but still...its not undrivable. I think its all pretty subjective and my opinion is that its not awful...different, but not awful.

Christarp

Is it the 6 speed or auto? If it's the auto I'd definitely wait. With a 6 speed I'm sure it's possible given the super low first gear, and 6th gear isn't as high as 4th gear on the automatics.

MurderedJK

Save yourself the headache and do both

I have a 2011 JK Unlimited and I ran it with 35s on the stock 3.73 gears. My transmission was unable to find gears jumping in and out of OD resulting in catastrophic transmission temps. At only 28K miles, my transmission was toast. The fluid turned grey as a result to the aluminum inside the transmission began to pit. The chucks of aluminum would flow through the torque converter and get pulverized resulting in a shiney grey fluid. Luckily my dealership went to bat for me and Chrysler replaced my transmission with a brand new unit under warranty. I was given the advice that due to my tire size and overall weight (metal fenders, bumpers, etc) that my transmission is working too hard on the 3.73 gears. I got a ARB rear locker and 5.13s done at Northridge and what a difference. Im always in ECO mode even at speeds of 70MPH. I have so much more power and much happier. I also installed a transmission cooler and my transmission fluid never reaches 180 (which is normal op temps according to Chrysler), its always at 115-140 degrees. So my advice is to do it and do both at the same time.

JAGS

Hooked
Sola brings up a good point. You running heavy aftermarket front/rear bumpers or stock? Any other added weight? This too would impact the ride with the 3.21s.

But if you just want the look, do tires first. Jeep might be a dog, but you can still drive it.

Like others have said, try and save to do both at se time, or close as possible.

- Jason

noroad

It really depends if you have an auto or manual! I have a 2dr on 37s and i wheel it with 3.21s. It sucks balls wheeling but its do able, also i drive 80+ miles a day highway. (no 6th gear really). If you have a auto you are going to need a programmer ASAP to change the shift points and that will help till you get re geard and will also help after to change them in the computer!

Flyer

You can get away with it on flat land (I could not here in Colorado) but I would be worried about over-stressing some internals- like the transmission. You can deal with the sluggish drive and the gear hunting, but a tranny failure would be expensive to fix. Personally, I would wait till I had the money to do both.

I have 35s (auto- 4.10) and am probably okay though it is annoying going up steep mountain passes. It stays in 3rd and even tries to jump to 2nd so I have to drive carefully while not getting stuck behind a semi doing 20-30. I can't decide on 4.56 vs. 4.88 so am going to wait till I figure it out.

DMF

I don't have 35" tires. 33" with the 3.21 gears and 3.6 w/ auto. At hwy speeds and my 285/70r17 tires its ok but any incline it will start hunting for gears. So I can't imagine wanting to run 35x12.50 with 3.21 gears.

jeeeep

Hooked

Auto or manual trans?? anyway, you'll also want to save for a tuner to get your gear/tire reading correctly or you'll have other issues.

Sugarbear

I have a 3.6 six speed and 3.21 gears with 3 inches and 35's it's a little sluggish up hill but no big deal you should do both at same time but If ur like me and can't wait get the tires first if ur only driving 2 miles IMO

Top Bottom