Transmission oil

Devallee

Ive been having some "hot oil" warning light issues lately on my 09 jk and am wondering what to do about it. It has come on every time I drive up this trail. It's maybe a 30 degree incline. I mean it's as steep as a 2wd will get up without tire spin (I know you're wondering why the hell I have a 2wd jeep. It was a gift from my parents they didn't know any better and I sure as hell wasn't gonna turn it down so I live with it). But I'll be driving up the incline and the hot oil dash light pops on. If I try to keep going it'll get to a point where I will have my foot to the floor and the jeep won't budge. Has anyone had this issue or have any idea what might be wrong with it? I'm assuming it's a power train issue so I'm thinking about taking it to the dealership and letting them deal with it through the warranty but I'd like to know or have some idea what it might be before I take it in. Any ideas??

RockyJk

my buddys jk would do this when we would go wheelin in a creek turns out it was cuz he wasnt aired down and the jeep would struggle to get through the sand once he started airing down it never came on again....

kaptkrappy

Hey Devallee, I have a question. Have you ever serviced your auto trans (changed the filter and fluid) ?
I don't know if that would make a difference, just curious.

There are hundreds (not exaggerating) of threads in all the jeep forums about auxiliary auto transmission coolers.
It seems to be a very common problem.
The best one (thread) I have read through is over on JK-Forum. Here's the link.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been having some "hot oil" warning light issues lately on my 09 jk and am wondering what to do about it. It has come on every time I drive up this trail. It's maybe a 30 degree incline. I mean it's as steep as a 2wd will get up without tire spin (I know you're wondering why the hell I have a 2wd jeep. It was a gift from my parents they didn't know any better and I sure as hell wasn't gonna turn it down so I live with it). But I'll be driving up the incline and the hot oil dash light pops on. If I try to keep going it'll get to a point where I will have my foot to the floor and the jeep won't budge. Has anyone had this issue or have any idea what might be wrong with it? I'm assuming it's a power train issue so I'm thinking about taking it to the dealership and letting them deal with it through the warranty but I'd like to know or have some idea what it might be before I take it in. Any ideas??

you really need to make sure to use a lower gear when climbing. if it's really steep, put it in 4-low. the lower gearing will help keep your transmission cool even without an aftermarket cooler.

kaptkrappy

you really need to make sure to use a lower gear when climbing. if it's really steep, put it in 4-low. the lower gearing will help keep your transmission cool even without an aftermarket cooler.

I didn't catch this the first time I read it either. 2WD, I think trans cooler may be his only option.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't catch this the first time I read it either. 2WD, I think trans cooler may be his only option.

:doh: well what do you know, he did say 2WD. i guess it just sounds so forign that i didn't catch it.

still, dropping the tranny into 1st helps a lot but, a tranny cooler is the best option.

Devallee

wayoflife said:
:doh: well what do you know, he did say 2WD. i guess it just sounds so forign that i didn't catch it.

still, dropping the tranny into 1st helps a lot but, a tranny cooler is the best option.

I know the 2WD sounds weird but I wasn't gonna turn it down! Actually in the process of piling up the parts for the 4WD conversion. But I just installed the tranny cooler and the problem is solved. Thanks guys!

JaySC

Had the same problem...went to Off Road Evolution to have a trans cooler installed for a decent price.

Top Bottom