Home made "hothead" headliner

utiadam

LOSER
This last weekend I began my own headliner project. I got the idea from the Hotheads version.
I began with (2) 4' x 8' 1" foam insulation board
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398794207.601173.jpg
Then I cut it into the shapes to fit the hardtop.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398794270.737688.jpg
I was originally going to do black or grey speaker box carpeting but decided on black vinyl to match the leather seats.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398794328.879395.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398794344.629351.jpg
Then I used Rustoleum black truck bed liner to paint the inside the hardtop.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398794387.856080.jpg
I used liquid nails for foam to attach the panels.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398794430.280019.jpg
The end result came out pretty good I think.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398794456.730293.jpg
Total cost I think came out to about $160 or so.

JCDriller

I like your solution, *but* I've read of others doing this the same way and the foam board outside lining came loose over time allowing the rest of the board to sag. Did you do anything to keep the layers of the board from separating?

Rottenbelly

Made mine out of R5 insulation and used carpet to cover it. 3m tape still holding it up great. I put the silver side up to reflect heat.
Over 2 yrs since installed and still holding up great.
Was about 65 bucks for everything.
DSCN0387.jpg

DSC_0059-1.jpg

DSC_0053-2.jpg

DSC_0056-1.jpg

utiadam

LOSER
I like your solution, *but* I've read of others doing this the same way and the foam board outside lining came loose over time allowing the rest of the board to sag. Did you do anything to keep the layers of the board from separating?

I'm not really sure what you mean about outside lining. The vinyl wraps around about 2" past the sides on mine.

Tigereye10

Looks awesome, I'm really thinking about painting the inside of my hardtop this summer if it ever gets warm enough for more than 1 day at a time. :doh:

utiadam

LOSER
Made mine out of R5 insulation and used carpet to cover it. 3m tape still holding it up great. I put the silver side up to reflect heat.
Over 2 yrs since installed and still holding up great.
Was about 65 bucks for everything.
DSCN0387.jpg

DSC_0059-1.jpg

DSC_0053-2.jpg

DSC_0056-1.jpg

I like the way yours turned out! I think most of my cost was for the cans of bed liner spray paint.

dahreno

Banned
They both look great. I would be afraid to paint the inside black as that will make it get even hotter on the inside.

dahreno

Banned
I bet painting the top white did make a big diff. Won't really even need the insulation inside. BTW, love the pic., looks like a great place !

Buddy22

Looks GREAT

I live in AZ so its hot almost all year round I like how they both turned out. I think I'm going to give it a try thanks for showing this :rock:

BlackKnight

You basically just proved out the idea I had this winter when I was looking at the purchased alternatives. Looks great! I Planned on using an Olive drab fabric (commando colored jeep), or a black (either a pho-suede, or other non shiny black fabric). I have a "foam" cutter from my days playing with Miniatures, and was going to us it to carve out the panels.

Again, Great Job :)

JCDriller

I'm not really sure what you mean about outside lining. The vinyl wraps around about 2" past the sides on mine.

I believe other reported that the silver lining separated from the foam board allowing it to sag so the silver was stuck to the roof while the foam hung. I want to do this DIY mod, just try to see if others were concerned about the layers of the insulation board separating.

utiadam

LOSER
I believe other reported that the silver lining separated from the foam board allowing it to sag so the silver was stuck to the roof while the foam hung. I want to do this DIY mod, just try to see if others were concerned about the layers of the insulation board separating.

Oh I see what you mean. I glued the fabric to the silver side and the white side towards the hardtop

Top Bottom