5.13s

So i got my jeep back with the new 5.13s installed its a 2012 sahara on 38" toyo everyone online says anything over 35s go 5.13 so i figured yeah must be good! haha

now my questions is how do you guys drive down the highway!? haha mines an automatic the 5 speeds and if im doing like 100km/h which is what like 60mph im now at 2600rpm and if i try and cruise the fast lane as 110-115 so 70mph ish, its at 3000+rpm

is everyones like this? kinda crazy no? i just went on the highway for a second to see what it would be like gonna cruise around town to break them in but I dont know how my 4 hour trips to the closest trails will be like screaming down the highway at 3000rpm for fuel milleage

Before with 3.73 on same tires at 110-120 it would be at 2400rpm but would always down shift on big hills and hunt for gears which was annoying haha

So what is your setup like? similar?

Jerms

So i got my jeep back with the new 5.13s installed its a 2012 sahara on 38" toyo everyone online says anything over 35s go 5.13 so i figured yeah must be good! haha

now my questions is how do you guys drive down the highway!? haha mines an automatic the 5 speeds and if im doing like 100km/h which is what like 60mph im now at 2600rpm and if i try and cruise the fast lane as 110-115 so 70mph ish, its at 3000+rpm

is everyones like this? kinda crazy no? i just went on the highway for a second to see what it would be like gonna cruise around town to break them in but I dont know how my 4 hour trips to the closest trails will be like screaming down the highway at 3000rpm for fuel milleage

Before with 3.73 on same tires at 110-120 it would be at 2400rpm but would always down shift on big hills and hunt for gears which was annoying haha

So what is your setup like? similar?

Did you reprogram? You definitely need to do that with a superchips or a some kind of programmer. Im running 2400 rpms at 70mph with 37s and 5.13s

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Did you reprogram? You definitely need to do that with a superchips or a some kind of programmer. Im running 2400 rpms at 70mph with 37s and 5.13s

the only difference is that he has the 3.6 and you have a 3.8 since yours is an 08.

OP- according to the gear ratio chart in the newbie section you are right on the money for where your RPM's should be sitting. my 3.8 with 35's and 5.13's are in the same rpm range as you so i understand what your talking about. all i do is go the speed limit anymore so i dont burn thru fuel anymore than i normally would. on a positive note i wouldnt want any other gear ratio. the 5.13's are amazing!

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Definitely reprogram! If you haven't already. My question is this, is 6th gear on a '12 manual higher or lower than 5th gear on the automatic? I'm stuck between 4.88s and 5.13s for when I do regear. My JK is 95% DD and will remain that way for some time, I'm sure.

Jerms

the only difference is that he has the 3.6 and you have a 3.8 since yours is an 08.

OP- according to the gear ratio chart in the newbie section you are right on the money for where your RPM's should be sitting. my 3.8 with 35's and 5.13's are in the same rpm range as you so i understand what your talking about. all i do is go the speed limit anymore so i dont burn thru fuel anymore than i normally would. on a positive note i wouldnt want any other gear ratio. the 5.13's are amazing!

If you dont go in to your computer and tell it that your gear ratio is different, its going to be off...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you dont go in to your computer and tell it that your gear ratio is different, its going to be off...

i know and i agree he should make sure it was programmer correctly. i was more or less commenting on the difference of where your RPM's are and where his are. his are naturally going to be higher because of it being a different motor.

Jerms

i know and i agree he should make sure it was programmer correctly. i was more or less commenting on the difference of where your RPM's are and where his are. his are naturally going to be higher because of it being a different motor.

Roger that!

rocxtreme

3000 RPM's is not out of line, a way to look at it is when you are out on the open highway, you will have less downshifts for the hills, and less foot through the pedal, if the engine is not straining to keep speed, and running at a higher rpm, more power is available.

I am running 4.10's on my 2012 with Auto and 37's. I thought I was going to be fine, but after the trip to Moab, I want the deeper gears to bring the rev's up and keep it consistent. Not to mention, hauling an extra 600lbs of family and gear on long trips, really makes it a no brainer.

Other side, with the 5.13's, talk about a crawling monster, thought it was already good, can't wait now......

Yes my buddy has 2009 4 door auto with 3.8 when hes beside me on highway and were talking on cb today he was at 110kmh rev were 2300rpm with 5.13s

I was at 110kmh with 2012 4 door auto and i was at 3000rpm

I used Procal to recal but i can try doing it again it is in 5th gear though

It takes off AMAZING I dont even have to touch the gas pedal really and my Eco light is always on now when driving around it doesnt hang up in gears at 4500rpm not wanting to shift like it used to with 3.73

They are a great setup and it is my DD i travel 80km a day with it 5 days a week. I cant wait to put in 2 weeks with them because with my 3.73 gears and 38" toyo I was getting 520km to a tank of fuel and thats filling up before the gas light comes on... none of my jeep buddies get that milleage maybe 400km if there lucky so I hope i get more now.

When i was on 35's i was getting 600km a tank

Would 5.13 be overkill for 2012+ 2 door manual on 37s? I'm also on the fence between 4.88 or 5.13

I would say yes but have not driven it.

My one buddy has a 2010 4 door with 4.88s and 35s manual tranny and he hates it says over 95kmh its over 3000rpm so he stays in slow lane way under the speed limit takes him 5 hours to get to trail and we wait around takes us 4 haha he is dieing for 37s now

Heholua

On a side note, the 2012+ models you have to reprogram to the correct gear ratio or your rig will go into limp mode.

On a side note, the 2012+ models you have to reprogram to the correct gear ratio or your rig will go into limp mode.

Yup this happened to me lol. When its in limp mode it wont go over 35 miles an hour.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WBJK

Yes my buddy has 2009 4 door auto with 3.8 when hes beside me on highway and were talking on cb today he was at 110kmh rev were 2300rpm with 5.13s

I was at 110kmh with 2012 4 door auto and i was at 3000rpm

I used Procal to recal but i can try doing it again it is in 5th gear though

It takes off AMAZING I dont even have to touch the gas pedal really and my Eco light is always on now when driving around it doesnt hang up in gears at 4500rpm not wanting to shift like it used to with 3.73

They are a great setup and it is my DD i travel 80km a day with it 5 days a week. I cant wait to put in 2 weeks with them because with my 3.73 gears and 38" toyo I was getting 520km to a tank of fuel and thats filling up before the gas light comes on... none of my jeep buddies get that milleage maybe 400km if there lucky so I hope i get more now.

When i was on 35's i was getting 600km a tank

520km! Wow. I've got stock gears on my '14 with 35's and I get 400km on a tank if I'm lucky.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
That is correct for 5:13. I have a 2012 with4:88 and at 70 I'm close to 3000 rpm's. Maybe between 2800 and 2900. I really wish I went with 5:13 though. In the long mountain climbs it would be nice not down shifting into passing gear. You will be fine running at that rpm's. I ran 75 to 80 all the way from wv to CA and back. By the way I did use a procal.

I still have the 3.73 if you are looking for a set and ya I'm enjoying the gears now after more seat time with them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MI jeepskate

2010 auto 2dr with 33's and 4.88's with a locker, 2400 RPM at 70. my most recent fill up was 18.5 mpg 70% city 30% highway. I should have gone 35 with how much power it gave me. luckily i know a guy who sells tires for a living

Top Bottom