Subwoofer/ Sound System

leximann

So for a while now, Ive had this idea that I was going to beef up my cheesy factory sound system.... And lesson learned, do you research first lol. I've been looking at a similar set up to the pic below, but am worried about when I have the top down and how it will affect the sound quality.. I'm wanting to mount it on the tail gate so it doesn't take up too much room in my 2 door and eventually I plan on getting a tire carrier, so it will have less pull on the tailgate, the amp would most likely be stored in the cubby hole right near the sub. Thoughts...?
photo(4).JPG

Devallee

It'll pretty much be useless with the top off. I have 2 12" subs that I put against the back seat facing the front of the jeep (4 door) and I can hear it but I have a lot more power coming out of mine compared to yours. Your best bet would be trying to fit it under your back seat or something. But having that far away from you with the top off, you won't get much out of it. If you can't fit it under your seats, I would at least put it as close to you as you can (against back seats if you have them in) if you wanna hear it

leximann

It'll pretty much be useless with the top off. I have 2 12" subs that I put against the back seat facing the front of the jeep (4 door) and I can hear it but I have a lot more power coming out of mine compared to yours. Your best bet would be trying to fit it under your back seat or something. But having that far away from you with the top off, you won't get much out of it. If you can't fit it under your seats, I would at least put it as close to you as you can (against back seats if you have them in) if you wanna hear it

Thats true, but most of the time I have the back seats out so putting them there wouldnt really work for me, I really need all the space I can get because of my dog and hauling misc things... Im mainly worried about the top hitting the sub when its down and it not fitting together like it should..

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Maybe just do some good quality speakers in the sound bar and dash, then amp them? Easier to store an amp than a big bulky sub box. A lot of the speakers that fit the factory locations sound really good with an amp pushing them.

leximann

Maybe just do some good quality speakers in the sound bar and dash, then amp them? Easier to store an amp than a big bulky sub box. A lot of the speakers that fit the factory locations sound really good with an amp pushing them.

I havent thought about that.. I put some Polk Audios in the sound bar, and got a pair for the dash 1/2 off Im just waiting for a free day to install em.. But I just figured it would sound even better with a 12" in the back

jeeeep

Hooked
So for a while now, Ive had this idea that I was going to beef up my cheesy factory sound system.... And lesson learned, do you research first lol. I've been looking at a similar set up to the pic below, but am worried about when I have the top down and how it will affect the sound quality.. I'm wanting to mount it on the tail gate so it doesn't take up too much room in my 2 door and eventually I plan on getting a tire carrier, so it will have less pull on the tailgate, the amp would most likely be stored in the cubby hole right near the sub. Thoughts...?
View attachment 81017

I thought about the same placement for my sub but I carry too much stuff and that's the most likely place it'll get damaged fast..even when open I find myself using my body to hold the gate open ...

I ended up with a down box I can move around the back, amp under passenger seat. Was worried about it bouncing around at EJS but I used bungee cables to hold it facing the back seat and worked great!

I like the larger sub so I'm going to try my hands at fabbing a box to mount in the stock location, or I may just get an 8" and swap the stock sub. the way I use my Jeep and storage it's only a matter of time before I damage the current setup.

leximann

I thought about the same placement for my sub but I carry too much stuff and that's the most likely place it'll get damaged fast..even when open I find myself using my body to hold the gate open ...

I ended up with a down box I can move around the back, amp under passenger seat. Was worried about it bouncing around at EJS but I used bungee cables to hold it facing the back seat and worked great!

I like the larger sub so I'm going to try my hands at fabbing a box to mount in the stock location, or I may just get an 8" and swap the stock sub. the way I use my Jeep and storage it's only a matter of time before I damage the current setup.

thats definitely something Ill have to watch out for is damaging it when closing the door, and hauling stuff might be a bit more tricky but I think its do-able, do you think the top will interfere?

jeeeep

Hooked
thats definitely something Ill have to watch out for is damaging it when closing the door, and hauling stuff might be a bit more tricky but I think its do-able, do you think the top will interfere?

mock it up with cardboard box and lower your top, I don't have a soft top but my friend does and i can see it getting in the way (but doable).

biggest issue i see is how the top down will affect the sound, or create new sounds from the top.

904Jeep

Have an audio shop build a sealed down-firing box for you or you can build your own. This will keep the subwoofers themselves out of exposure to the elements and will help retain the bass notes in the cab. I run 2-10" subwoofers in a down-firing box behind my rear seat. With no top, no doors, and going 75 on the interstate, i can still hear my subwoofers and it will still vibrate the mirrors, seats, etc. I can take some pictures so you can get an idea for the setup.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I havent thought about that.. I put some Polk Audios in the sound bar, and got a pair for the dash 1/2 off Im just waiting for a free day to install em.. But I just figured it would sound even better with a 12" in the back

I've thought about putting a box in the rear for the 12" I have in the garage that I took out of my truck before I traded it. Thought about doing some kind of quick disconnects on the wiring so it'd be easily removable if I need to haul anything. But I think I'm just gonna put some good quality speakers in the stock locations, they won't deliver as much bass, but anything's better than stock. Especially without the Infinity or Alpine system.

Devallee

X2 on the down firing box. A buddy of mine had one in his Tahoe and it hit hard. And it kept it away from stuff he throws in the trunk. I'm planning on getting one built when I upgrade my subs soon. I cracked one with a snowboard :banghead:

tapcola

X2 , A downward fire box is the way to go just remember it takes more power to run a sealed box , go for a quality made box that is matched to the sub you are using , they make steel grill covers to so you can't damage the sub's .If you bolt it down it works even better .

leximann

Have an audio shop build a sealed down-firing box for you or you can build your own. This will keep the subwoofers themselves out of exposure to the elements and will help retain the bass notes in the cab. I run 2-10" subwoofers in a down-firing box behind my rear seat. With no top, no doors, and going 75 on the interstate, i can still hear my subwoofers and it will still vibrate the mirrors, seats, etc. I can take some pictures so you can get an idea for the setup.

I would love a down firing box, but the. I'm back to losing all my space.. I guess I gotta decide what means more to me.. But yes, send pics!

GuillaumeC91

Started a similar thread a while back: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=11551

Still haven't pulled the trigger but I'd like to find something to fit under the two front seats. I've also seen guys rip apart the rear seat in two door JKs to build a sub enclosure into the bottom part of the seat. Comfort is obviously out the window since the passengers are basically sitting on a plywood box, but it saves a lot of space! Lol

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

leximann

Started a similar thread a while back: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=11551

Still haven't pulled the trigger but I'd like to find something to fit under the two front seats. I've also seen guys rip apart the rear seat in two door JKs to build a sub enclosure into the bottom part of the seat. Comfort is obviously out the window since the passengers are basically sitting on a plywood box, but it saves a lot of space! Lol

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

That would be pretty cool to just have them attached to the underside of the seat so they would take up zero space and be somewhat protected.. Hummmm let me know if you decide to do it and how you attach em!

Landman

Has anyone heard of making a custom enclosure that would fit over the rear wheel wells? Towards the front of them specifically?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

utiadam

LOSER
You lose a ton of mid and low end bass when the top comes off. I have a JL Audio 10W7 in the JL H.O. Box and I lost almost all bass when the top is off. That's with 750W rms going to it. I have JL Audio C5 components front and rear which are amplified and can keep up pretty good with wind noise.

JungerJk

My brother-inlaw and I played with the idea a bit, but all of the cutting and customization really didn't seem to be worth it, especially from a storage or capacity perspective.

Devallee

Has anyone heard of making a custom enclosure that would fit over the rear wheel wells? Towards the front of them specifically? Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I saw a company that did this in a jeep at a car show but I can't think of the name of the company. Maybe a google search will yield some results. I discussed with him about it and obviously it would save some space and keep it up and away from damage. However I run 12"s and you would only be able to run 10s in that spot. Also, what do you do when the top is off? They're just sitting there waiting for someone to rip em out if you're in the wrong neighborhood one night. Sounds like a great idea if you're someone that keeps the top on year round, but one of the reasons I bought the jeep in the first place was to take the top off all summer so it wouldn't make sense for me. Seems like a great idea tho and it looked really nice and clean but I'd rather have something I can keep covered when I have the top off

Top Bottom