ESP driving me crazy..could one of the speed sensor line be the cause

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
I'm familiar with ESP popping on and off over the years and got a good sense of when it would happen based on my speed and sharpness of turn and the lean of the front side of the jeep.

My alignment (caster and toe)in is pretty much on. Haven't changed my ride height or any front end steering components for many months. Steering wheel is positioned straight when I'm going straight.

But for some reason the ESP is turning on at slower speeds and less sharp turns. Any ideas?
Thanks

jeeeep

Hooked
Even stock it would trigger on and drive me crazy, before I had the 35's put on I did the steering wheel dance and turned mine off permanently ... never made any sense as to why it would trigger on.

Devallee

I've had mine permanently disabled since day one. Never seen a use for it. I know it's supposed to be a "safety" device but it's more dangerous when it was on

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Even stock it would trigger on and drive me crazy, before I had the 35's put on I did the steering wheel dance and turned mine off permanently ... never made any sense as to why it would trigger on.

I guess I'm going to do the hokey pokey. Do you remember the recipe? Or have a link? Thx

Hack12

I guess I'm going to do the hokey pokey. Do you remember the recipe? Or have a link? Thx

Hokey pokey is the way to go. I permanently turned my ESP off about 6 months ago and haven't looked back since. Best thing I ever did. Here's the method...

The ESP Hokey Pokey:

1.Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.

2.Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position and ensure parking brake is firmly set.

3.Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.

4.Turn ignition on (and optionally start engine to make turning the wheel easier – will work with or without engine running) and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.

5.Turn the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).

6.Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly then release and wait for chime.

7.Turn the steering wheel back to centre, then continue turning the steering wheel one-half turn to the left (counter clockwise).

8.Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly, release and wait for chime.

9.Turn the steering wheel back to centre.

10.Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.

11.Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

Hack12

i found it easier to do with the Jeep running, i tried for 30 minutes with in the "on" position before I actually started it up, got it on the 2nd try with it running

X2. Took me a couple attempts to get it right. Just make sure you hold the button down for the full 7 seconds, regardless of the beep you'll get around 4-5 seconds.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm familiar with ESP popping on and off over the years and got a good sense of when it would happen based on my speed and sharpness of turn and the lean of the front side of the jeep.

My alignment (caster and toe)in is pretty much on. Haven't changed my ride height or any front end steering components for many months. Steering wheel is positioned straight when I'm going straight.

But for some reason the ESP is turning on at slower speeds and less sharp turns. Any ideas?
Thanks

It's definitely possible that you have a speed sensor going bad. Certainly, I've had to replace more than one over the life of my Jeep. A scan tool at a dealership might even be able to tell you which one if they scan it while driving. But, before you do that, I would inspect your front ABS lines carefully for any chaffing, worn out insulation or damage. If it is damaged and exposed wire is making contact with something metal on your Jeep, it will trigger your ESP. Ask me how I know.

Devallee

It's definitely possible that you have a speed sensor going bad. Certainly, I've had to replace more than one over the life of my Jeep. A scan tool at a dealership might even be able to tell you which one if they scan it while driving. But, before you do that, I would inspect your front ABS lines carefully for any chaffing, worn out insulation or damage. If it is damaged and exposed wire is making contact with something metal on your Jeep, it will trigger your ESP. Ask me how I know.

I would get a quote before taking it to the dealership. Mine wanted I think around $100 just to hook it up (no warranty) I replaced all 4 speed sensors for cheaper than that. Might not be the same for every dealership but my jeep is also red flagged so they don't like me too much anyways :cheesy:

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug

Thanks Eddie, I will try that approach first. I do know I've had some rubbing on the lines but don't know if wire is exposed. It just seemed weird that with no set up changes for over 5 months and proper alignment that all of a sudden it started getting more sensitive and progressively so.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would get a quote before taking it to the dealership. Mine wanted I think around $100 just to hook it up (no warranty) I replaced all 4 speed sensors for cheaper than that. Might not be the same for every dealership but my jeep is also red flagged so they don't like me too much anyways :cheesy:

It's been a while since I've had to replace one but the last time I did, it cost me $11. If it's still the same, it would clearly be a LOT cheaper to get 4 new ones :crazyeyes:

Thanks Eddie, I will try that approach first. I do know I've had some rubbing on the lines but don't know if wire is exposed. It just seemed weird that with no set up changes for over 5 months and proper alignment that all of a sudden it started getting more sensitive and progressively so.

It takes a certain amount of revolutions and tripping of the computer to finally say there is a problem. Of course, a chaffed line just needs to ground out to trigger it.

jgrove12

Does anyone have a video how to do this. I tried for about 30 minutes earlier and gave up haha

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Devallee

It's been a while since I've had to replace one but the last time I did, it cost me $11. If it's still the same, it would clearly be a LOT cheaper to get 4 new ones :crazyeyes:

It takes a certain amount of revolutions and tripping of the computer to finally say there is a problem. Of course, a chaffed line just needs to ground out to trigger it.

They quoted me for an hour of labor which I thought was absurd as well. But maybe I'll try another dealership next time. Either way I think the sensors were like 15 bucks a piece so I just did em all

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

txjeeplover

As others noted, it's possible that you have a worn or bad speed sensor, or that one of your wheel bearings is failing and causing a sensor to get a bad reading. It's also possible that your gear box has developed a slight bit of play. As I have learned, one degree or two of play in the steering gear will cause the ESP to activate unexpectedly.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Ok problem solved. But I'm not sure how. Bearings checked. No issue. I did not have dealer diagnose nor change any sensors. All linkage on front end check. No issues.
But here's what I did over the last week.. I had replaced only my rear tires about 3k miles ago. My fronts had about half a tread left on them. I replaced them this week and balanced. I also returned my tuner to stock. And then retuned again. So which of these may have done it. Or none of them:thinking:

JeepFan

Hooked
Ok problem solved. But I'm not sure how. Bearings checked. No issue. I did not have dealer diagnose nor change any sensors. All linkage on front end check. No issues.
But here's what I did over the last week.. I had replaced only my rear tires about 3k miles ago. My fronts had about half a tread left on them. I replaced them this week and balanced. I also returned my tuner to stock. And then retuned again. So which of these may have done it. Or none of them:thinking:

I think the new tires solved your ESP light. :yup:

Top Bottom