AIRAID 2007-11 Jeep JK Wrangler Cold Air Intake System Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

Without a doubt, one of the easiest mods that just about anyone can do to their Jeep JK Wrangler, even those without ANY mechanical experience, is to upgrade their factory air cleaner with a cold air intake system. And, by far, one of the best cold air intake systems available on the market today is made by AIRAID. Affordable and extremely easy to install, the AIRAID Cold Air Intake System is designed to deliver more air to the engine and is routed in such a way to draw it from the coolest location in your engine. Of course, with more air flow, your engine will see a slight boost in horse power and torque. And, being that this kit is used with an easy to clean, reusable filter and for added protection, can also be used with a pre-filter, you can be sure that your engine will still be protected with superior filtration. The write-up below will show you just how easy it is to install this great cold air intake system.

What You Will Need
• 8,10,13mm Socket/Wrench
• 5/16″, 7/16" Socket/Wrench
• 3/8″ Drive Ratchet
• 6″ Ratchet Extension
• Standard Flathead Screwdriver
• Small Flathead Screwdriver
• Phillips Screwdriver
• 5/32", 7/32" Allen Wrench

Installation Instructions
This is a pic of all the things you will get with your new AIRAID 2007-11 Jeep JK Wrangler Cold Air Intake System. Make sure that you have everything in the list before you begin this project.
main.php

1. Unlock the IAT sensor on your Jeep's air intake tube by pulling back the red tab on the wiring harness connector.
main.php

2. Squeeze the wiring harness connector and then disconnect it from the IAT sensor on the air tube.
main.php

3. Using a flat head screwdriver, loosen the hose clamp securing the air tube to the air cleaner box.
main.php

4. Again, using a flathead screwdriver, loosen the hose clamp securing the air tube to the throttle body.
main.php

5. With both hose clamps loosened, wiggle the air tube free of both the air cleaner box and throttle body and then remove it from your Jeep.
main.php

6. Carefully insert a small flathead screw driver in between the IAT sensor and the grommet holding it in place. Rotate the IAT sensor so that your screwdriver is making contact with one of the two plastic ridges extending from the base of it as shown in the pic to the left. Then, carefully pry the IAT sensor out of the air tube. NOTE: the IAT sensor is very delicate and will break easily if you are not VERY careful with this step.
main.php

main.php

7. Grab the CCV hose firmly and pull it off your Jeep's air cleaner box.
main.php

8. Grabthe air cleaner box and pull it up and out of the engine compartment.
main.php

9. Using a flathead screwdriver, carefully pry out the 2 lower rubber grommets that previously held your air cleaner box in place.
main.php

10. Install the 2 provided well nuts into the 2 lower holes that you just removed rubber grommets from.
main.php

11. Using a 10mm socket, remove the bolt securing the plastic factory air cleaner tray to the body of your Jeep. Save this bolt as it will get reused.
main.php

12. Using a 10mm socket, remove the bolt securing your radiator to the support as shown.
main.php

13. Take the bolt that you just removed, insert it through the round hole on the L-bracket provided with the kit and then thread it back into the radiator support as shown. Leave the bolt loose for now.
main.php

14. Use the 7 small 6-32 screws, flat washers and kep nuts provided to assemble the AIRAID Cold Air Dam panels together. The kep nuts are spoked and so all you really need is a phillips screwdriver to fasten the hardware together.
main.php

main.php

15. Carefully lower the AIRAID Cold Air Dam into your engine compartment and on top of the factory air cleaner tray.
main.php

16. Use the factory bolt you removed back in step #11 to secure the AIRAID Cold Air Dam and plastic factory air cleaner tray to the body of your Jeep. A 10mm socket will be needed for this job.
main.php

17. Using 2 of the 3/8x1 button head bolts provided with the kit, secure the bottom of the AIRAID Cold Air Dam to the well nuts you installed back in step #10. A 7/32" allen wrench will be needed for this job.
main.php

18. Using 1 of the 1/4" button head bolts, 1/4" flat washers and matching serrated nut, secure the last AIRAID Cold Air Dam mounting hole onto the L-bracket you installed back on step #13. A 5/32" allen wrench will be needed for this job.
main.php

19. Tighten the bolt securing the L-bracket and radiator support using a 10mm socket.
main.php

20. Place the smaller of the 2 hose clamps onto the narrower end of the reducing hump hose provided.
main.php

21. Install the narrower end of the reducing hump hose onto your Jeep's throttle body and secure it in place by tightening the hose clamp. You will need a flathead screwdriver for this job.
main.php

22. Install the rubber grommet provided into the AIRAID intake tube as shown.
main.php

23. Slip the larger remaining hose clamp onto the wide end of the reducing hump hose.
main.php

24. Install the AIRAID intake tube onto the reducing hump hose.
main.php

25. Rotate the AIRAID intake tube down and slip the opposite end into the round opening on the Cold Air Dam.
main.php

26. Using the 2 remining 1/4" button head bolts and washers provided, secure the AIRAID intake tube to the Cold Air Dam. A 5/32" allen wrench will be needed for this job.
main.php

27. Carefully reinstall the IAT into the AIRAID intake tube.
main.php

28. Reinstall your Jeep's CCV hose onto the AIRAID intake tube.
main.php

29. If you purchased an AIRAID pre-filter, be sure to install it on your AIRAID premium air filter now.
main.php

30. Carefully install the air filter onto the end of the AIRAID intake tube.
main.php

31. Secure the AIRAID premium air filter in place by tightening the hose clamp with a flathead screw driver.
main.php

32. Install the provided weather stripping along the top edge of the Cold Air Dam.
main.php

33. Take a step back and enjoy looking at the fruits of your labor.
main.php

34. If you live in California, make sure to apply the CARB decal somewhere on or near the Cold Air Dam.
main.php

And, that's pretty much it. Your 2007-11 Jeep JK Wrangler now has one of the finest Cold Air Intake systems installed. :cool:

TRAUMAhead

Any sound clips? IIRC the Youtube video that you have of the Dynomax Evolution Competition system, you said you were running an air intake, was it a different brand?

StrizzyChris

this thread says for 2007-11....so I am guessing its on Moby and the previous install was on the 2012

curious if anyone has ever Dyno'd one of these to see real life improvements

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any sound clips? IIRC the Youtube video that you have of the Dynomax Evolution Competition system, you said you were running an air intake, was it a different brand?

the clip you saw was on our 2012 and it's running an airaid too. in fact, we got one for it first and then got this one for our other JK after. among other things, what i like about the airaid is that their intake systems are carb compliant and this is important for when you get your jeep smogged in CA.

this thread says for 2007-11....so I am guessing its on Moby and the previous install was on the 2012

curious if anyone has ever Dyno'd one of these to see real life improvements

up, this was installed on moby. i have not done a dyno but, airaid has charts posted up on their website.

TRAUMAhead

the clip you saw was on our 2012 and it's running an airaid too. in fact, we got one for it first and then got this one for our other JK after. among other things, what i like about the airaid is that their intake systems are carb compliant and this is important for when you get your jeep smogged in CA.
This is the clip I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1sSysyT_3s&feature=plcp

Guess you guys were are/were running the Rock Crawler version at the time, not sure where I read you guys were also running an air intake, maybe I'm just imagining things. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is the clip I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1sSysyT_3s&feature=plcp

Guess you guys were are/were running the Rock Crawler version at the time, not sure where I read you guys were also running an air intake, maybe I'm just imagining things. :thinking:

oh, ok, when we did this clip, we were running the rock crawler exhaust and a purejeep cai. the sound is about the same between it and the airaid.

Top Bottom