Backspacing Problem?

moorecb3

So I was thinking about ordering a set of nitto trail grapplers 35x12.5x17 this week and I checked my wheels for the correct back spacing and I may have a problem... The wheels I bought I got from discount tire when I got my current set of 33s a few years back, I got them for 60% from discount tire bc someone ordered them and never picked them up so I didn't even think about the back spacing because they worked with my current tire. When I look online there is different backspacing options for this tire (since I'm not sure when one I have) looks like 5, 6, and 8 inches.http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/wheels/mb_wheels/product/byName.do?r=INMINT&tmn=Stryker&typ=Truck , here are some pictures I took

Attachments

• wheel one.jpg
    wheel one.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 166
  • wheel two.jpg
    wheel two.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 165

moorecb3

So I just took off my spare and did a more accurate measurement and it looks like I actually have 5 inches of back spacing, should that be fine or should I add one inch spidertrax spacers?

Briguy114

I you're going to add spacers I wouldn't add anything less than 1.5". Anything less than that and you'll have to trim the wheel studs

moorecb3

I you're going to add spacers I wouldn't add anything less than 1.5". Anything less than that and you'll have to trim the wheel studs

glad you mentioned that, that did not even cross my mind! would I be better off just going with what I have or add spacers which would put me at around 3.5in of back spacing

Christarp

I'd try what you have and see if you get any rubbing. If you do get very minor rub you can adjust the steering stops. if it's particularly bad then maybe try and just not do a lot of tight turning when you drive while you wait for spacers.

Briguy114

I personally like a wider stance so 3.5" backspacing will give you that. I think that you would have some rubbing issues with 5 inches of backspacing

moorecb3

thanks for the feedback guys, from what I have seen it looks like 4.75in is where you have no rubbing, but I have also seen that you shouldn't go less then 3.75? because of it being too wide. I guess I'm kinda in that awkward spot where ill have rubbing or ill be really wide

StrizzyChris

There's no one answer to your question. You want the least offset wheel(without a spacer) you can have on your vehicle without rubbing at full turn and articulation to prolong the life of axle components such as ball joints.

There are general rules that everyone fallows like 3.75"-3.5" of backspace for use with coilovers and ~4.5" of BS with oversized tires and traditional suspension.

....but even little things come into play when you get too much BS, such as your axle being offset by lifting it and not correcting the track bar height/length.

moorecb3

There's no one answer to your question. You want the least offset wheel(without a spacer) you can have on your vehicle without rubbing at full turn and articulation to prolong the life of axle components such as ball joints.

There are general rules that everyone fallows like 3.75"-3.5" of backspace for use with coilovers and ~4.5" of BS with oversized tires and traditional suspension.

....but even little things come into play when you get too much BS, such as your axle being offset by lifting it and not correcting the track bar height/length.

Wow I didn't know there was so much to backspacing :shock:

Right now I have traditional suspension, One day year or two down the road I would like to have coil overs and or beadlocks, So for now I would really like to try and make due with the wheels I have, with the new tires. What do You think would be better to do add the spacers or not?

StrizzyChris

You may be just fine with no spacers and the wheels you have. I had plenty of room to spare (with my axle centered) running 4.75" BS with 12.50" wide 35" tires. Worse case scenario, try it with no spacers and you MAY have a minor rub at full turn. Then just be careful while you wait for your spacers to arrive.

moorecb3

You may be just fine with no spacers and the wheels you have. I had plenty of room to spare (with my axle centered) running 4.75" BS with 12.50" wide 35" tires. Worse case scenario, try it with no spacers and you MAY have a minor rub at full turn. Then just be careful while you wait for your spacers to arrive.

Alright thanks for the info, I think I'm gonna give it a shot without the spacers first since I have my axle centered as well since that would save me about 200 bucks if I don't really need them

rocxtreme

Try it, if you get a little rub on lock, adjust the steering stop with a washer. The benefit of keeping the wheels as is, is the scrub radius is maintained closer to stock. Secondly, less leverage on the "plastic" ball joints.

moorecb3

Try it, if you get a little rub on lock, adjust the steering stop with a washer. The benefit of keeping the wheels as is, is the scrub radius is maintained closer to stock. Secondly, less leverage on the "plastic" ball joints.

I Hope I get lucky and don't have any rubbing issuers or can fix them without spacers, But I guess ill find out soon

Top Bottom