Tuned jeep vs vehicle inspection

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I am going to have my state inspection and emissions testing done tomorrow and I have a question. Currently I have a flashpaq and I programmed the 87 tune on my jeep. Do you think I will be alright leaving the tune on? I ask because I went to set it back to the stock tune and it made my tire size and gear ratio go back to stock. When I try to change it on the stock tune I get a "update failure" message. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This is the error I am receiving with the jeep on the stock tune while trying to reset my axle ratio/tire size
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398987500.981248.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

GCM 2

I just did the emission testing for Arizona one week ago today. AZ does their testing on most new vehicles thru the OBD II port, so I'm not sure what you will face. However, I have mine tuned with the flashpaq to 91-93 octane tune, my motor is stock, no cold air intake and have a dynomax cat back rock crawler exhaust. Do not do what I did!!!!! Before heading over to the emissions test facility (it's less than two miles from my house) I checked for any thrown codes and I did have a small emissions leak according to the flashpaq. I knew it was my gas cap, because it had thrown that code before, so I drove to the facility thinking I will outsmart them. Well just before pulling into the test site, I cleared all DTC's then proceeded in like a champ. What I also did by clearing any codes was also erase the entire normal drive cycle history stored on the ECU, which is what OBD II emissions testing uses to judge if you have issues. I received a huge FAILURE and was sent on my merry lifted jeep way. They were kind enough to tell what happened and how to fix it. So I immediately went to the dealer, bought a gas cap, drove my jeep for about four days of city and highway mixed driving (why four days? google search normal drive cycle for any car/truck to see if you can manage to accomplish it by the book. It's crazy) Anyhow, I passed on the next attempt, and never returned to stock tune, but I do regular maintenance and run injector cleaner every so often. As for your flashpaq issue, try updating it on the internet thru a USB port. Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just did the emission testing for Arizona one week ago today. AZ does their testing on most new vehicles thru the OBD II port, so I'm not sure what you will face. However, I have mine tuned with the flashpaq to 91-93 octane tune, my motor is stock, no cold air intake and have a dynomax cat back rock crawler exhaust. Do not do what I did!!!!! Before heading over to the emissions test facility (it's less than two miles from my house) I checked for any thrown codes and I did have a small emissions leak according to the flashpaq. I knew it was my gas cap, because it had thrown that code before, so I drove to the facility thinking I will outsmart them. Well just before pulling into the test site, I cleared all DTC's then proceeded in like a champ. What I also did by clearing any codes was also erase the entire normal drive cycle history stored on the ECU, which is what OBD II emissions testing uses to judge if you have issues. I received a huge FAILURE and was sent on my merry lifted jeep way. They were kind enough to tell what happened and how to fix it. So I immediately went to the dealer, bought a gas cap, drove my jeep for about four days of city and highway mixed driving (why four days? google search normal drive cycle for any car/truck to see if you can manage to accomplish it by the book. It's crazy) Anyhow, I passed on the next attempt, and never returned to stock tune, but I do regular maintenance and run injector cleaner every so often. As for your flashpaq issue, try updating it on the internet thru a USB port. Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

Thanks Greg! So basically as long as I don't clear any codes I may have I should be ok.

And yes I will call superchips in the am and ask about it.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Roscoj

leave it tuned. I have always left mine tuned and no one ever says a word nor have I had issues getting anything passed. Maybe it's different here on utah though.

GCM 2

Thanks Greg! So basically as long as I don't clear any codes I may have I should be ok. And yes I will call superchips in the am and ask about it. Sent from my iPhone

If you have emissions related codes, look into fixing those before clearing out anything and you should be good. As long as you fix the issue, the codes tend to clear themselves thru the computer doing its checks. Now If it's any other code (like some of the ones you get from running LED headlights etc, those do not go away, you clear and they come right back) Again, I would not clear these types of non emission related codes because you will still dump the normal run cycle memory.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Thanks Greg! So basically as long as I don't clear any codes I may have I should be ok.

And yes I will call superchips in the am and ask about it.

Sent from my iPhone

If you have any codes in the system, your check engine light is on, and/or the drive cycle monitors are not set it will FAIL the emissions inspection. The new way of doing the emissions inspections through the OBD II port is a way different process than when they stuck the sniffer in the tailpipe. I've seen some Chryslers have power steering codes causing the check engine to be illuminated FAIL emissions. I know it sounds like BS, but the inspection machine will fail the vehicle if there are any DTCs in the system.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you have any codes in the system, your check engine light is on, and/or the drive cycle monitors are not set it will FAIL the emissions inspection. The new way of doing the emissions inspections through the OBD II port is a way different process than when they stuck the sniffer in the tailpipe. I've seen some Chryslers have power steering codes causing the check engine to be illuminated FAIL emissions. I know it sounds like BS, but the inspection machine will fail the vehicle if there are any DTCs in the system.

Well that's gay. The only codes I saw was for my truck lites. Had a code saying something about them but I ignored it

Sent from my iPhone

GCM 2

Well that's gay. The only codes I saw was for my truck lites. Had a code saying something about them but I ignored it Sent from my iPhone
I think you should be good! I had those trucklite LED codes being thrown too, zero emission related codes though, and I passed without any issues. I would not attempt to clear any of those DTC's since they are irrelevant for emissions.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Well that's gay. The only codes I saw was for my truck lites. Had a code saying something about them but I ignored it

Sent from my iPhone

The machines may be different per state. I know that here in Missouri it would fail with any codes

GCM 2

The machines may be different per state. I know that here in Missouri it would fail with any codes
Well then that would be considered a vehicle safety inspection and emission inspection and the OP might need to be prepared for that too I guess. Sorry coz' :(

That's why I live in AZ; no real lift laws, no fender laws, no safety inspection, and only emissions test on newer vehicles.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well then that would be considered a vehicle safety inspection and emission inspection and the OP might need to be prepared for that too I guess. Sorry coz' :(

That's why I live in AZ; no real lift laws, no fender laws, no safety inspection, and only emissions test on newer vehicles.

It's all good Greg I appreciate all the help! I guess I will just have to wait and see what they say. I'm taking it to my dealer who works really closely with Quadratec on the brute builds they do and other stuff so they are good with dealing with upgrades and stuff

Sent from my iPhone

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just an update. I left the tune on the jeep and they didn't say anything about it. Passed with flying colors. Thanks for the help/advise everyone!

Sent from my iPhone

GCM 2

Just an update. I left the tune on the jeep and they didn't say anything about it. Passed with flying colors. Thanks for the help/advise everyone!

Sent from my iPhone

That's awesome! I was hoping that we (me) had not set you up for failure with bad info. Glad to hear you are legal :rock:

SDG

Caught the Bug
Random question...

How the hell would they know if you had a tune anyway?

The timing advance, change to injector settings, or whatever these tuners do would require the test facility to have all the "stock" programming info for every single year for every make and model of car sold in Merica....

About the only thing they could do is check a CRC, and I still think thats waaaaaay to complicated.

Or are there people at the inspection station scanning through your ECU watching it like its the matrix???

TheDuff

So, the gas cap did fix that small evap code completely? I get the same code a lot, when I clear it I can get anywhere from 60-150 miles before it comes back. I figured it was the evap canister, even though I have no signs that it's been hit on the trail. Guess the gas cap is a cheap try at fixing my issue:)

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

So, the gas cap did fix that small evap code completely? I get the same code a lot, when I clear it I can get anywhere from 60-150 miles before it comes back. I figured it was the evap canister, even though I have no signs that it's been hit on the trail. Guess the gas cap is a cheap try at fixing my issue:)

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The gas cap fixed my code, if you are still getting the code thrown after that many miles it may be a leak at the evap can

The gas cap fixed my code, if you are still getting the code thrown after that many miles it may be a leak at the evap can

It was mentioned on another thread about the o-ring on the canister filter. Didn't get a chance to look at it while I was home last week but it was mentioned to try a bit of silicon on it. I'm still throwing the gas cap code even after the stealership did an ECM update.

Top Bottom