Engine Oil Issue?

loscann48

Just popped my hood to check my oil levels. I'm about mid way, milage wise in needing an oil change, and found this.... 1399214492651.jpg 1399214538921.jpg

It appears I have oil being pushed out the filler cap. Is it just a bad seal on the cap, or something potentially more serious? Thoughts and advice please. I do regular oil changes using 5w-20 full syn.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hack12

Mine looks about the same.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399215038.426631.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399215047.639541.jpg

I top off my oil once in between changes. I don't think I'm leaking anything, simply burning it off more rapidly, like these 3.8L are notorious for.

loscann48

My concern is that it mine hasn't looked like that since I bought the jeep, but just appeared in the last month or so. I also have never seen much of a loss of oil between oil changes before, and now my dipstick is almost dry. Is it because I've climbed over the 50k mark? I guess that's always a possibility. It is definitely something I can live with as long as its not an indicator of another problem.

jeeeep

Hooked
looks like a lot of mud residue under there..do you mud much?
I switched to Mobile1 5w-30 and it made a difference in oil burn off - also, how clean is your air filter?

here's a trick i use when trying to find oil leaks or bad seals...use a black light... the oil will show up.

loscann48

Yep, it shouldn't be pressurized up there. Is your exhaust tip black?

No, my exhaust tip isn't really black. I can see some color, but no more than I've seen on other vehicles I've owned. Noting that I would consider abnormal.

loscann48

looks like a lot of mud residue under there..do you mud much?
I switched to Mobile1 5w-30 and it made a difference in oil burn off - also, how clean is your air filter?

here's a trick i use when trying to find oil leaks or bad seals...use a black light... the oil will show up.

No I don't mud much, but I do have a few roads near my house that have mud puddles...sometimes rather large mud puddles. I wasn't completely paying attention and drove through one fairly quickly. My entire jeep looked like that, inside and out....even my kid sitting in the back seat!:D

loscann48

Well here's an update. Sunday I replaced the filler cap, changed to 5w-30 and cleaned everything under the hood. Tuesday I replaced my air filter. My MPGs had dropped to a dismal 17.2 over the last few weeks(ever since I noticed the problem). Since the replacing the items my MPG has started to climb back up, upto 18.7 and still climbing.

jeeeep

Hooked
Well here's an update. Sunday I replaced the filler cap, changed to 5w-30 and cleaned everything under the hood. Tuesday I replaced my air filter. My MPGs had dropped to a dismal 17.2 over the last few weeks(ever since I noticed the problem). Since the replacing the items my MPG has started to climb back up, upto 18.7 and still climbing.

that's great! :beer:

Zstairlessone

A clean air filter is like putting in a CAI if it's been really restrictive from not changing, definitely helps MPG. Good to see it come back up!

Top Bottom