River Raider Snorkel

leximann

I'm looking at adding a snorkel to my 2 door jk in the near future. I like the slim look of the river raider cast aluminum snorkel, but an curious to see what you guys think! I would go with the less expensive rugged ridge or similar model, but they are just too bulky for me. Plus I just got some LEDs to mount on my windshield, so I'd need one that allows room for em... Whatcha think?

Last edited:
I'm looking at adding a snorkel to my 2 door jk in the near future. I like the slim look of the river raider cast aluminum snorkel, but an curious to see what you guys think! I would go with the less expensive rugged ridge or similar model, but they are just too bulky for me... Whatcha think?

You should have purchased a submarine. I avoid fording anything deeper than my axles because of the clean up afterwards.

Post up a link.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You should have purchased a submarine. I avoid fording anything deeper than my axles because of the clean up afterwards.

Post up a link.

Lol then you must not wheel in the swamps. :D

A snorkel is not needed if you cross slowly to keep the wake in front of you. But if it is deeper then your hood or flowing fast your probably screwed.

Jersey_Devil

AEV and ul still have plenty of room for lights. uploadfromtaptalk1399249317368.jpg Make sure to extend ur breathers and seal the holes in ur airbox. Overland is the first person I've ever seen say that about water fording. That's how I learned water crossings. All by myself, go slow make a wake and stay in it. My jeep was the first vehicle I put a snorkel on. But I love the look and the added security of knowing I'm not in too deep. And if I am in too deep, well then I have other problems! Lol

Sent from my obama monitoring device

A snorkel is not needed if you cross slowly to keep the wake in front of you. But if it is deeper then your hood or flowing fast your probably screwed.

nah the swamps suck because the mud stinks

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

JK-JOHN-E

a snorkel would be nice a several places we wheel and Will is right, the mud/muck dries like cement and smells not so good ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399252903.714993.jpg

leximann

I'm looking at the one that goes up the windshield, but it's good to know that it shouldn't interfere with my lights! I went on a ride yesterday with the North Florida Jeep group and we went through some deep-ish holes but most everyone had a snorkel, besides me. I learned the hard way about the wake because I did get a small amount in my air filter but just dried it out and were all good! I figured better safe than sorry, especially in Florida rainy season!

Beyrgut

I don't really care for the looks of snorkels but if I decide to get one down to road due to our wet seasons it would be their expedition one.

K9wells

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399275498.023521.jpg

I have the riverraider one I like it alot. I also put there universal air box in and sealed it, and extended all breather hoses to it.

Though now that I have a snorkel everyone asks me to test out the depth of water before they enter the first time I did this water came up over the hood no problems tho.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399275593.365535.jpg

Last edited:

leximann

View attachment 81759

I have the riverraider one I like it alot. I also put there universal air box in and sealed it, and extended all breather hoses to it.

Though now that I have a snorkel everyone asks me to test out the depth of water before they enter the first time I did this water came up over the hood no problems tho.

View attachment 81760

It looks nice! I like it out of all the other ones because I think it looks sleek and kind of blends in..

But I figured it'll be cheaper in the long run to invest in a snorkel rather then the repairs for the damage without one lol

K9wells

It looks nice! I like it out of all the other ones because I think it looks sleek and kind of blends in..

But I figured it'll be cheaper in the long run to invest in a snorkel rather then the repairs for the damage without one lol

Thats the reason i went with a snorkel ive aleady hydrolocked one vehicle trying not to do it to another.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen both and without question, I would put "looks" aside and get the AEV snorkel if you really have to have one. It's a MUCH easier install and one that is SIGNIFICANTLY less obtrusive. If in the future you decide it's not for you, a simple hood replacement will fix the problem. Also, if you actually use your Jeep in areas where you can hit the snorkel, the plastic AEV will do a lot less damage.

K9wells

I have seen both and without question, I would put "looks" aside and get the AEV snorkel if you really have to have one. It's a MUCH easier install and one that is SIGNIFICANTLY less obtrusive. If in the future you decide it's not for you, a simple hood replacement will fix the problem. Also, if you actually use your Jeep in areas where you can hit the snorkel, the plastic AEV will do a lot less damage.

Yes you can or if you are like me constantly hitting large tree limbs, Id rather not keep buying plastic. Plus it has saved my wind shield a few times, though left some nice gauges down the side. I dont care about drilling holes as long as it looks clean!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I wouldn't buy the river raider because of the mess of a tube under the hood. That would bother the shit out of me.

K9wells

Only thing else I am going to add is that even tho you plan on adding a snorkel please look at a different air box other than the factory one it does not seal that great.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can or if you are like me constantly hitting large tree limbs, Id rather not keep buying plastic. Plus it has saved my wind shield a few times, though left some nice gauges down the side. I dont care about drilling holes as long as it looks clean!

Don't get me wrong, I'm NO fan of snorkels and wouldn't run one on my Jeep. But, if I had to run one, I'd rather bang up some plastic than to have a metal snorkel tear up the side of my Jeep or worse. Same reason why I run trimmed factory fenders instead of metal tube fenders.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't buy the river raider because of the mess of a tube under the hood. That would bother the shit out of me.

Yeah, have to say I'm not a fan of that either. Of course, the Volant hood slug is even nastier looking :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom