EVO bolt on coil over vs EVO DTD vs ?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
For those who have practical real world experience with both systems, what is the honest functional difference between the two from a performance standpoint both on and offroad? I'm am trying to justify over double the price and need to hear pros and cons. Is there another system that is in between that I should be considering? I am currently looking to upgrade my entire short arm 3" lift to a long arm coil liver system. There seems to be approximately a $5k price difference between the two systems excluding the additional cost in installation. Besides telling me "depends on what you use the jeep for" I am trying to figure out which is the best solution by evaluating all the pros and cons.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The difference is going fast and going really fast through whoops. Also you can flex with bolt ons and you can really flex with DTD.

There is another thread on this exact comparison that was asked not to long ago.

36Fan

For those who have practical real world experience with both systems, what is the honest functional difference between the two from a performance standpoint both on and offroad? I'm am trying to justify over double the price and need to hear pros and cons. Is there another system that is in between that I should be considering? I am currently looking to upgrade my entire short arm 3" lift to a long arm coil liver system. There seems to be approximately a $5k price difference between the two systems excluding the additional cost in installation. Besides telling me "depends on what you use the jeep for" I am trying to figure out which is the best solution by evaluating all the pros and cons.

A lot of the pros and cons will be determined by, "depends on what you use the jeep for".

JAGS

Hooked
One is bling'd out and one is really really bling'd out. Lol. Not sure your going to experience much difference on road. Perhaps someone who's had both can chime in?

Mel is basically running the off the shelf DTD on EVO1 race rig. So that is an example of the difference.

- Jason

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
One is bling'd out and one is really really bling'd out. Lol. Not sure your going to experience much difference on road. Perhaps someone who's had both can chime in?

Mel is basically running the off the shelf DTD on EVO1 race rig. So that is an example of the difference.

- Jason

Call EVO and they say it's "night and day" but I don't have much context. Is there any other system that should be. Front runner in a final decision ?

JAGS

Hooked
Call EVO and they say it's "night and day" but I don't have much context. Is there any other system that should be. Front runner in a final decision ?

Night and day on road? Not to many i know who have run both. Really just Eddie.

If you have the coin to go DTD, then do it. The offroad difference will be worth it to you. Flex and speed like Overlander said.

- Jason

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Night and day on road? Not to many i know who have run both. Really just Eddie.

If you have the coin to go DTD, then do it. The offroad difference will be worth it to you. Flex and speed like Overlander said.

- Jason

I wouldn't be asking if it was completely out of any budgetary possibility. The thing is, it's also a lot of coin. I'm trying to guage how much I'll notice it on the trail and how much I (she) would on a drive around town with the fiancée. Trying to see if y'all nudge me one way or another. Right now it sounds like both are pretty damned good.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you don't tell us what you use your jeep for we can't tell you which to get. If you have the money get the DTD.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have run both setups and can tell you that there really is no comparison. Put simply, you get what you pay for. This is not to say that the bolt-on coil over setup isn't nice - certainly, it's way better than anything thing else out there but hands down, you just can't do any better than a DTD. having said that, if you don't have anything to compare it to, I think you will find the bolt on setup to be outstanding. Having both, all I want to drive is the DTD - hence, this is why we are now getting a DTD installed on our other JK.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't tell us what you use your jeep for we can't tell you which to get. If you have the money get the DTD.

To this point, I would have to say that that I agree with Adam, how you use your jeep would determine what you should get. No need to get a DTD is if you can't or never plan to really use it.

turbineguy

I have run both setups and can tell you that there really is no comparison. Put simply, you get what you pay for. This is not to say that the bolt-on coil over setup isn't nice - certainly, it's way better than anything thing else out there but hands down, you just can't do any better than a DTD. having said that, if you don't have anything to compare it to, I think you will find the bolt on setup to be outstanding. Having both, all I want to drive is the DTD - hence, this is why we are now getting a DTD installed on our other JK.

Eddie. How does the long arm setup factor into the equation? Is a DTD with a quality mid-arm setup going to be significantly awesomer (I know that's not a word) than a Bolt On CA setup with a mid-arm? Whats the difference between a DTD with LA and a DTD with a mid-arm? (Besides for the clearance that the Evo system gives).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie. How does the long arm setup factor into the equation? Is a DTD with a quality mid-arm setup going to be significantly awesomer (I know that's not a word) than a Bolt On CA setup with a mid-arm? Whats the difference between a DTD with LA and a DTD with a mid-arm? (Besides for the clearance that the Evo system gives).

Honestly, how a manufacturer can make control arms 1" longer than stock and suggest that's it's somehow "mid" way between stock length and "long arm" has always seemed to be a joke to me. I mean, long arms are typically about 10" longer than stock and I would think in order to be anywhere close to being "mid", you'd have to be at least half way there. But, I digress.

To answer your question, yes, long arms will make a difference in the ride quality and for the better but, I have run the DTD setup with single coil overs and factory length arms before getting the long arms and would still have to say that they offer a better high speed ride and greater flex than the bolt on setup. Again, this is NOT to say that the bolt on coil overs don't offer a great ride and flex as well, just that if you ever have the opportunity to test both out at the same time, you can definitely feel and see a difference. There just is no comparison to the DTD's.

turbineguy

Honestly, how a manufacturer can make control arms 1" longer than stock and suggest that's it's somehow "mid" way between stock length and "long arm" has always seemed to be a joke to me. I mean, long arms are typically about 10" longer than stock and I would think in order to be anywhere close to being "mid", you'd have to be at least half way there. But, I digress.

To answer your question, yes, long arms will make a difference in the ride quality and for the better but, I have run the DTD setup with single coil overs and factory length arms before getting the long arms and would still have to say that they offer a better high speed ride and greater flex than the bolt on setup. Again, this is NOT to say that the bolt on coil overs don't offer a great ride and flex as well, just that if you ever have the opportunity to test both out at the same time, you can definitely feel and see a difference. There just is no comparison to the DTD's.

Thanks. That's what I sort of figured. Basically means that I could eventually go with a DTD purchase and procrastinate any LA setup purchase, and still see a significant benefit.

I agree with you with the mid-arm terminology. I was using it more to refer to JK stock length-ish vs TJ stock length (really really short arm).

StrizzyChris

and procrastinate any LA setup purchase, and still see a significant benefit.

What I and many others do! Just do adjustable front lowers until the pennys add up to a LA setup or keep short arm if you dont mind the feel of the already pretty long stock CA length :yup:

turbineguy

What I and many others do! Just do adjustable front lowers until the pennys add up to a LA setup or keep short arm if you dont mind the feel of the already pretty long stock CA length :yup:

Yeah. I ran a setup with adjustable front lower BDS arms for a year with a 2.5" lift and it drove really really nice. Just got a full MC 3.5 lift with 8 arms to run for a while. Just trying to figure out my next big purchase for the next time the overtime starts rolling in and my bank account is overflowing. I tried to talk myself into buying a bolt on CO system, and I was close. Luckily I loss my stubborness, and just went with a decent spring/arm kit, to tie me over for a while.

BTW, I'm quietly following your build thread... looks awesome.

Last edited:

GCM 2

.......Just trying to figure out my next big purchase for the next time the overtime starts rolling in and my bank account is overflowing. I tried to talk myself into buying a bolt on CO system, and I was close. Luckily I loss my stubborness, and just went with a decent spring/arm kit, to tie me over for a while.

I have to say that "turbineguy" is one of the few guys who had the guts to fight through all the lure of the shiny offroad jewelry known as coilovers and just go with a decent suspension for the right reasons. Good for you brother!

Since you are a newer member here, welcome to the forum! Now don't be offended, as I don't pull any punches when answering a question, I deal in facts, comedy and more facts. As Wayoflife stated earlier, in one way or another, the EVO bolt-on coilover is actually better than any other bolt-on suspension available for a JK. And the Double Throw Down, that is infinitely better than the bolt-on system. But as everyone else has asked; what's the intended use for the jeep? More than likely, living in Houston, TX. you don't need either system......unless your rig will visit our insane wheeling locations out here in the west a few times a year or you just want to go for the over-the-top "look at my jeep's suspension" effect which the DTD does every time. No matter what you decide the reason that you "need" bolt-on coilovers or the DTD, here are some other things to consider if you decide before your purchase:

1- Either system requires additional things to be done to the jeep, and much more so with the Double Throw Down. Things like maintenance will increase, the need for aftermarket drive shafts, removal of stock exhaust/addition of new re-routed aftermarket exhaust, cost of install and fabrication work. It's NEVER just buying shocks at the level of a system like the DTD front and EVO Lever Rear DTD (Which is the same system we race on in the Ultra 4 series/King of Hammers). Again, this is why Wayoflife speaks highly of the DTD, he uses the hell out of his the way it was intended. In fact, the only guy with more miles on the DTD than Wayoflife, is the inventor of it, Mel Wade.

2- If it's going to be a Parking lot Prowling Princess, or the Triple "P" rig, congrats! You will be admired, and hated, all at the same time. Take the time to at least learn every possible specification and capability of the system you just spent $12k on, so you seem like you have been off road. Being capable of regurgitating numbers and measurements and stuff can be quite impressive when stopped by someone asking a question about your vehicle as you are walking into Costco.

3- If the jeep IS for off road, what are your capabilities as a driver. Be brutally honest, leave the ego out of the equation. What have you run before, not just trails, but suspension as a benchmark? Would you even know that an EVO bolt-coilover or DTD is better than what you had before? Either of these systems provides your JEEP much more capability than you can ever imagine, I say again, your JEEP. Heck, a stock jeep gets most people into bad spots they never should have gone. If you plan on building up to the DTD, it will give the jeep the ability to go places that previously only tube buggies and race cars were venturing. My jeep is simply waiting for a better driver to come along, since I am definitely the jeep's limiting factor, and after 30 plus years of wheeling I am still learning new ways to get into deeper trouble ;)

4- If you don't have access to this kind of terrain, a Double Throw Down is really kind of pointless. And for what it's worth, it is the bypass shocks piggybacked to the coilovers that make driving through this kind of terrain at 50, 60, 70 mph or above possible, not just having coilovers.

image-452854667.jpg

5- If you are going for the Triple "P" effect, and there is nothing wrong with that, study all forums and threads so people know you have been offroad and learned all the major wheeling spots and larger events by name, pick up a magazine subscription ("JP" if you want to be well rounded, "Crawl" if you want to sound hardcore, "Overland Journal" if you want to come across as a worldly and snobbish) Then just keep your rig clean and polished. Take lots of photos from different angles in different places and try to post a different shot every couple of weeks so you can let your forum friends know you "use" your rig often.

image-4038423003.jpg

6- Lastly, just to prove that you don't need coilovers just watch any Wayalife film, especially the ones covering the JK Experience since many of the jeep's that attend have traditional coil spring suspensions.....although that is becoming less and less due to the availability of quality coilover set ups like what EVO mfg offers. In the photo below, this two door on 3-4" coil springs went everywhere my DTD rig went, in fact it recovered me after I rolled my jeep over when my rear coilovers "unloaded" while going down a waterfall. You don't need the best suspension to go to bad places, but having the best supension can get you to the bad places quicker and more comfortably.

image-715065342.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well said Greg. :yup:

I once heard a guy tell me that he doesn't need any fancy EVO coil overs cause his Brand X lift got him through the Rubicon just fine and it was a lot cheaper! And to that, I would had to agree, an EVO coil over suspension system is far from something that anyone "needs". Without question, an experienced driver behind the wheel of a stock Jeep can make it perform in a way that a rookie behind the wheel of a built up one could never hope to. If nothing else, what coil overs will do is make that trip across the Rubicon a hell of a lot more comfortable.

GCM 2

...... If nothing else, what coil overs will do is make that trip across the Rubicon a hell of a lot more comfortable.

You and I both know that at the end of the day (or the end of every day after a full week of wheeling) that this is one of the best aspects of the Double Throw Down, you just aren't as beat to crap from the ride! Even though some may not run as hard or fast as I like to when I do get out there, a guy like you who runs difficult and technical trails with more frequency than anyone else I know, definitely benefits from the comfort of our DTD. I think that this is a great selling point, but this comfort aspect is a high price to pay for a guy who doesn't live in our terrain and only wheels a few times a year in an environment where the EVO Double D traditional coil spring suspension will be a better fit for his daily driver. If I wasn't a wanna be racer boy, that's probably the system I would run after riding in a few rigs with the Double D.

MTG

Caught the Bug
5- If you are going for the Triple "P" effect, and there is nothing wrong with that, study all forums and threads so people know you have been offroad and learned all the major wheeling spots and larger events by name, pick up a magazine subscription ("JP" if you want to be well rounded, "Crawl" if you want to sound hardcore, "Overland Journal" if you want to come across as a worldly and snobbish) Then just keep your rig clean and polished. Take lots of photos from different angles in different places and try to post a different shot every couple of weeks so you can let your forum friends know you "use" your rig often.

Would it be possible to rattle can my traditional coils electric blue? :idontknow:

Top Bottom