Lj steering upgrade help

Ljwheeler852

I am looking to upgrade the steering in my 04 lj, any help or suggestion on brands or kits? Not looking to break the bank!! I so far found a rustysoffroad kit I liked, and a teraflex high steer kit but the teraflex was over double the price of rustysoffroad. I don't mind paying the extra money but is it a good kit and worth it?

Indefatigable

Teraflex? did they change it? OK, just a quick check. Nope.
They mention, but do not outline in the quick blerb that you must change your track bar angle as well. If you do not, bump steer and other problems. I had a couple friends go this route and saw the problems enough to avoid buying it. I think it would be nice for a custom set up or a YJ! And the wheels you use may interfere with the new knuckle.

The Currie correct link seems to be popular. Friends that have it only see to complain about the price of replacement rod end as the rod end is the arm and is a Currie specific thing. Otherwise seems to be good.

I and a few others run the ORO kit. It works well enough for me. The Currie probably does a better job of reducing bump steer. But this one has no Y, it is cross over and my alignment stays good. The two TRE on the drag link are stock TJ pitman arm TRE. The other two on the tie rod, vary depending on the edition. I have an older one, but they are a day away from the local NAPA. I understand the new joints used are bigger and more readily available. I was going to aftermarket wheels, so I had no issue with this system, but it will not work with the stock offset wheels.

HTH

Top Bottom