I'm debating on whether or not to get a roof rack.

ShinDiggity

The fact is, I have two good sized dogs, we love to go camping, but there is always a storage issue with camping gear in the limited space in the JK. I was throwing around the idea of possibly getting a roof rack to help out in storage of camping gear. I have a JKU with a soft top and would like to still be able to go topless with the rack on. Any suggestions or input would be great. Thanks all.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
The fact is, I have two good sized dogs, we love to go camping, but there is always a storage issue with camping gear in the limited space in the JK. I was throwing around the idea of possibly getting a roof rack to help out in storage of camping gear. I have a JKU with a soft top and would like to still be able to go topless with the rack on. Any suggestions or input would be great. Thanks all.

I love my roof rack and it has come in extremely handy for just this reason, BUT choose wisely! My personal experience with the Wild Boar roof rack is that it is extremely frustrating to mess with your soft top with this roof rack. Although their website says it will work with soft tops, the rear cross member does not allow for the soft top to fold down all the way without removing the bow from the roll bar. Because of this I just leave my hard top on all the time. This time of year I'm quite jealous of everyone riding around with their tops off. I also can not utilize a hoist to remove the hard top because of the roof rack.

You can pull the hard top off but you need at least two decently strong people to carefully slide it out the back, which in most cases eliminates the wife from helping, which makes it a big PITA.

Also you will find you become subject to being the pack mule on long trips with friends who lack space in their own Jeep. Typically it's your friends in the 2-door Jeeps ;).

Some roof racks are easier to remove than others but I am personally only familiar with the Wild Boar.

On a positive note it has great mounting points on the rack for lights 4 front, 2 rear, 2 A-Pillar style on front. It is very strong and can carry lots of stuff and no rattles if you follow the instructions and seal the joints with caulk.

I typically just run with the front top panels off instead of completely topless. My Jeep is my DD so I really don't mind running the hard top all the time. It's especially nice here in TX when the temps get up during the summers.

Flyer

The Gobi is pricey but looks really good and is not very tall. If I needed a roof rack, that would be my top choice.

MICP3309

X2 for the gobi. No squeaks from it, but if you do wheel... The 60lbs of weight that high up make it, well interesting.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Does the Gobi require drilling of sheet metal? Sorry it's a pet peeve of mine unless absolutely necessary.

ShinDiggity

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I want to still be able to go topless with some ease. I saw one on the internet where the front of it lifts back and you can fold down the soft top. Anyone know which one that is? I think it will help a lot when we do the long camping trips.

Cole Trickle

seems like alot of work and $$$$ and I imagine dropping the top would be a pain

I just got the ACE cargo basket and it really helped transporting 4 of us 1800 miles round trip to EJS. Having that second level came in handy.

Maybe a small utility trailer/offroad trailer for camping trips?

StrizzyChris

seems like alot of work and $$$$ and I imagine dropping the top would be a pain

This^^^

I originally wanted a rack, then decided that the mods required to run a good rack, the cost of one, the little amount of weight I could safely carry while wheeling, etc. were all huge cons and I decided against running one. Ultimately if I will pack lighter when wheeling.

A roof rack also raises your center of gravity which on a trail can cause a roll over. Something to think about. Have you looked into an off road trailer?

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Jkjamesdawson

Lots of things "can" cause a rollover, it doesnt mean they will. If you want a roof rack, get a roofrack. I wheeled the Rubicon without incident hauling 300 pounds on my roofrack. I know 300 pounds is a no no if you ask the Internet, but it can be done. I also know its sacrilege to exert those forces on the hardtop but I routinely do that also. My rack is mounted directly to, and thru the hardtop...has been for years. I almost always wheel fully loaded. There is only one reason that you "can't" and that is that some guy who hasn't tried it said so. Sure there are reasons not to, but that's up to you man...it can be done.

For the record I also have two huge dogs (mastiffs) that take the entire rear cargo area....choices.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I say rock the roof rack! :rock:

You've got to figure out what works for your life and lifestyle. :yup:

JKFlyer

U should consider getting a fairing. It stops wind noise which can get ready loud over 50 mph

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

bholder817

If you do it get the Gobi! Spend the extra money on the better product. I had the Wild Boar for almost two years. The Wild Boar was PS. The cross bars bent after about a year of carrying equipment to go camping and the bar that runs the length of the jeep bent also.... In my opinion not worth your money or time.

Super T

I have the body armour rack for my JKU and it's sturdy and can haul a lot of weight. It's great too as it sits on the outside of your hardtop and acts as hardtop rails in tight spots.

ShinDiggity

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I still can't decide if I should even get one or just pack lighter. I don't do any crazy wheeling but you never know I might run into a really technical portion and roll. I guess I'll have to try packing light first on this years first camping trip and see if it works out. If not, I might have to fork out some money for a gobi since that seems to be the better rack out of all I have looked in to.

ShinDiggity

And also, I thought about the trailer option too but I just think it would be harder to maneuver around on some trails....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! Back when I had a TJ and was carrying Cindy, myself, my son and my dog PLUS all my tools and camping gear, yeah, a roof rack was definitely needed. I hated it but really, your options were limited. Roof racks will raise your center of gravity, they are noisy as all hell on the highway, will rob your MPG with the drag and will prevent you from being able to park your Jeep in the garage among other things. Now that we have a 4-door, I can get everything packed WITH a fridgefreeze, welder, a TON more gear than ever before and do it with a space robbing Trektop. Likewise, we still run trails like the Rubicon topless and have no issues. Having said all that, you might want to rethink your gear and the way you pack. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run and a lot of grief too. Just my 2¢

David1tontj

And also, I thought about the trailer option too but I just think it would be harder to maneuver around on some trails....

But running certain trails with a trailer instantly makes you a badass! I want to take my trailer over the rubicon some day, but it's not ready yet- it will be getting an axle swap and 40s soon.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Top Bottom