Chrysler Fixing Pentastar V-6 Engines for Unusual Problem

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the Pentastar problems is starting to make the media...

Chrysler-Pentastar-V-6-Executives-Michigan-Governor-623x389.jpg

Chrysler Fixing Pentastar V-6 Engines for Unusual Problem
Chrysler hasn’t issued a recall of its popular, most used engine—the Pentastar V-6 that powers its Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler, and other best-selling vehicles—but it has acknowledged that it is repairing some for malfunctioning cylinder heads.

To compound the issue, Chrysler is also undergoing a shortage of supply parts including the replacement heads, and some customers are left with no choice but to leave their vehicles at dealerships for weeks. In the meantime, Chrysler is paying for rental cars for affected customers. According to a report in Automotive News, at least 1,300 cars were at dealerships waiting on replacement parts. Chrysler has begun manufacturing a newer, “more robust” cylinder head that is said to fix the issue, one on which Chrysler has released few details. The automaker says a small number of vehicles are affected, and a particular combination of a certain fuel and driving conditions causes the problem, without being more specific.

Chrysler’s senior vice president for quality, Doug Betts, said dealers have since been given the parts necessary and Chrysler now has additional supply parts on hand to resolve new issues. Betts adds that about half of one percent of Pentastar V-6 engines are affected.

Read more: http://blogs.automotive.com/chrysle...6655.html#.UCu5zMMW66E.facebook#ixzz23d9lRO7m

May not be too much longer before it becomes a recall issue. We just dropped our Rubicat at the dealership yesterday and don't know when we'll be getting it back.

kaptkrappy

I can just see the discusion at the dealership service department when Rubicat goes in for warranty engine work.

Service writer; Sir, has this jeep been offroaded?

Eddie; Um, no sir, never.

Service writer; Oh, Ok then. .:cheesy:

Trail_Creeper

A friend of mine in Tennessee is having he driver side head changed by the dealer due to "excessive drivetrain noise" as the dealer told him.

MikeLisa

I can just see the discusion at the dealership service department when Rubicat goes in for warranty engine work.

Service writer; Sir, has this jeep been offroaded?

Eddie; Um, no sir, never.

Service writer; Oh, Ok then. .:cheesy:

I can see it going that way

sbro2013

The head issue spills into 2013!!!

Hey all, I am new to the forum here but I wanted to bring to light that my brand new 2013 jku rubi I took receipt of on Sept 4th has begun to produce blue smoke when started cold and has sat for 6 hours or more. Ofiicially have 9400 miles on it, serviced 3 times and apparrently has the same valve guide issue on the #2 exhaust valve as others have had this year in AA production runs of the 3.6. By part number I have the first engine build revision(AB). There really isnt any other way for that oil to get into the cylinder than through the guides. Needless to say, it is going to the dealer on the 7th to be diagnosed. Thought I would share my disappointment with what I thought was a promising engine. Be weary and check the tail pipe when started cold after sitting all night.:icon_crazy:
Also my gas milage has been tanking over the last month (14-15mpg) from the 20 I was getting.
I'm waiting for my oil sample to come back from Wagner I took yesterday to see if there are signs of signifigant wear.

Last edited:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
My 2012 jeep has started to make a ticking sound from drivers side, is that the same has any of you?

SoCalDozer

I have the ticking problem in mine with 8k miles on it. was doing it before I left for deployment in august and the dealer told me
"its definitely valve train noise but we cant do anything until it throws a code and we wont provide you with a rental"
So I figured I would deal with this when I returned home and looks like it will be much easier now thanks to the media getting a hold of things.

StrizzyChris

Hey all, I am new to the forum here but I wanted to bring to light that my brand new 2013 jku rubi I took receipt of on Sept 4th has begun to produce blue smoke when started cold and has sat for 6 hours or more. Ofiicially have 9400 miles on it, serviced 3 times and apparrently has the same valve guide issue on the #2 exhaust valve as others have had this year in AA production runs of the 3.6. By part number I have the first engine build revision(AB).

Say it aint so! I am about to order my 13' JKUR in a week once the dune is available. Any other people talkinf about this? With the 12' there was a web explosion of complaints! Starting to think the 3.8 is looking good again! :-(

Skirmish

I can tell you they are still short on motors. They just got mine back to me Friday and part of the two months it was down was due to a backordered engine. When they did send it to the dealer it was in parts instead of a completed piece. So I lost a few more days while they built the engine there.

Here is the rental I had to drive for the eight weeks of hell.

image-2016313891.jpg
Climbing that curb was the closest I've been to rock crawling since late October.

By the way, here is what I dropped off and they didn't even question the mods for the warranty.

image-283856397.jpg

rfoust

No problems here yet but I've only had mine for 2 months. I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy the lifetime warranty. Not sure how much I'll end up modding it but it might still be worth it.

mo-jac

Hey all, I am new to the forum here but I wanted to bring to light that my brand new 2013 jku rubi I took receipt of on Sept 4th has begun to produce blue smoke when started cold and has sat for 6 hours or more. Ofiicially have 9400 miles on it, serviced 3 times and apparrently has the same valve guide issue on the #2 exhaust valve as others have had this year in AA production runs of the 3.6. By part number I have the first engine build revision(AB). There really isnt any other way for that oil to get into the cylinder than through the guides. Needless to say, it is going to the dealer on the 7th to be diagnosed. Thought I would share my disappointment with what I thought was a promising engine. Be weary and check the tail pipe when started cold after sitting all night.:icon_crazy:
Also my gas milage has been tanking over the last month (14-15mpg) from the 20 I was getting.
I'm waiting for my oil sample to come back from Wagner I took yesterday to see if there are signs of signifigant wear.

Word on the street is that the AC head is actually the one you want. AA and AB heads have been going back for replacement. Do you know your right/left head Julian build date? A number 206 and higher is an AC head (supposed GOOD head)

Top Bottom