what kind of oil is in your jk??

ghostryder

just talking with a friend and discussing as to wether synthetic is better or regular oil? What are yalls thoughts and opinions and kind of oil do you use? specifically motor oil only.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've used full synth 5w-20 since the 1st oil change, at around 70k miles I noticed more oil usage between changes so now using Mobile1 high mileage synth 5w-30, seems to help the between changes consumption.

I may go 5w-30 dino and do more frequent changes if I see it using more oil again between changes

since changing haven't really noticed any difference in engine temp or mileage...

ghostryder

he seems to think conventional oil is way better than synthetic and i can't understand the bull he is saying so i wanted more opinions for the slim chance i was missing something lol

biggy

Why does he think Dino oil is better?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

OBgrnRUBI

Amsoil is where its at but to reduce the hit on the wallet I use mobile 1 syth 5w-30

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jiblet

Modern (SN, GF-5) oil formulations are fantastic. The difference between the better conventional oils and even the better synthetics is narrowing.

Synthetic is generally going to give you better protection at very low and very high temperatures. And synthetics usually have fewer viscosity index improvers therefore more volume available in the additive package for anti-wear or detergents, etc., leading to longer potential drain intervals.

A brand-name conventional oil in the specified grade following the OCI won't let you down. Bump up to synthetic if you live in an area with extreme temperatures or want to stretch your drain interval beyond the OCI somewhat.

Probably more important to keep the oil at the right level than worry about the rest.

ghostryder

Why does he think Dino oil is better?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

i couldn't tell you cause i don't understand it myself but basically he was saying what jiblet is like its a waste of money cause they are about equal or something man i don't know that much about oil to argue with the statements he was telling me so i came here and jiblet makes me think maybe he wasn't giving me a bunch of bull........ and that sucks i hate it when he's right lol i won't tell him though haha

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i honestly couldnt tell you what one is better. that being said i always had dino in my old car and my jeep until recently. i just did an oil change earlier in the week and i switched to mobile 1 5w20 per eddies write up.

xtremefx4

I have run synthetic oil from the first oil change. I run Castrol synthetic 5/20 but on my next oil change I'm going to see how good Mobil 1 is. I go about 5 thousand miles between changes and my jeep doesn't use any oil! I have 69000 miles on it now..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
when synth was 1st introduced it did offer better benefits in temp range and because it flowed thinner (for lack of better term) it help increase gas mileage.

Today's non-synth are getting better and offering many of the same benefits as synth - just have to read the fine print.

I've seen lab tests where the Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobile1, Chevron ..many of the big names were tested and the 1st 2 listed here weren't any better than the good synthetics, just better marketing :thinking:

also depends on your driving habits and how often you change your oil. As I mentioned earlier, I'm using full synth but going 6k miles between changes

switching to 5w-30 I'm using about a qt every 3k miles, if it starts to use more between changes I'll use the less costly dino and change it a little more often.

hope to get the LS swap soon anyway so ..... vroom vroom lol

StrizzyChris

WHAT?!?! This thread is almost 3 hours old and NFR(our resident oil man) isn't here yet to guide us to the light?! :idontknow:

Ill try to find a link to some of our old threads discussing this same thing in the past

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I follow my own advice and run whatever quality synthetic is available for the lowest price. In my case around my area, 100% of the time it's Mobil1. If you want the best, run Amsoil, otherwise, any big brand (Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc.) Buy the cheapest 100% synthetic and you're golden. Stay away from Royal Purple...snakeoil product.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?6985-Mobil-1-extended-performance-oil
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?11369-Which-oil-do-you-like&highlight=royal+purple

And before people go crazy about my RP comments....the reason is simple...putting aside the fact that they are some of the lowest performing lubricants, in my area anyway, RP costs substantially more than the rest (Mobil, Castrol, etc)....there is simply no arguable reason why someone would want to run a more expensive inferior oil from a company caught lying....just my .02. If you like it, by all means, I am NOT saying your jeep will explode (although there have been numerous examples of engine damage on engines on various forums) but Im not looking to debate that. This is simply meant to be informative, it is your money, and your jeep, so it's your call.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
WHAT?!?! This thread is almost 3 hours old and NFR(our resident oil man) isn't here yet to guide us to the light?! :idontknow:

Ill try to find a link to some of our old threads discussing this same thing in the past

:cheesy: Thanks...I had to dig for them myself...the search engine here is a bit strange....takes a lot of sifting...either that or Im not using it correctly, but I've been on forums for a long time so I'm not sure that's it.

Flyer

I have always used 5W30 but the 2014 calls for 5W20. To avoid any crazy warranty issue that may arise, I think I will just go that route. I'll use Pennzoil Dino for a while and then switch to Pennzoil Syn, or any Syn that meets Chrysler spec. At some point, I will be free to use any 5W30 I want.

StrizzyChris

:cheesy: Thanks...I had to dig for them myself...the search engine here is a bit strange....takes a lot of sifting...either that or Im not using it correctly, but I've been on forums for a long time so I'm not sure that's it.

I gave up my search hence no link from me.

TexasJC

We started using the penzoil pure plus in my wife's expedition and happy so far. It's the new natural gas synthetic. I'm thinking of trying it in the jeep

SWRUBI

Oil? Going on 4 years and 8,000 miles, I pulled the dipstick. There is supposed to be oil in it?

Penzoil dyno. I change once a year 2000-3000 miles so go cheap with 5-20 from Walmart.

Top Bottom