16" stock to 17" stock

jktubby

Been searching and re-wording differently, but still cant find what i am looking for. So i found a set of stock 17s from a local 4k on the tires and wheels look good. I have the crappy stock 16" steelies with pizza cutter tires. They keep losing air after i went offroading this past weekend. I also think the 17s will help me wait till i grad. college to upgrade to a better more exp wheel tire combination. Questions:

How much better are the stock 17s vs the 16s offroad?

What price should i pay for all 5? Guy wants 500, i still need to mount them.

Do i need a procal for upgrading to the 17s?

Thanks for the help everyone.

kaptkrappy

Been searching and re-wording differently, but still cant find what i am looking for. So i found a set of stock 17s from a local 4k on the tires and wheels look good. I have the crappy stock 16" steelies with pizza cutter tires. They keep losing air after i went offroading this past weekend. I also think the 17s will help me wait till i grad. college to upgrade to a better more exp wheel tire combination. Questions:

How much better are the stock 17s vs the 16s offroad?

What price should i pay for all 5? Guy wants 500, i still need to mount them.

Thanks for the help everyone.

How much better are the stock 17s vs the 16s offroad? If the 17's have the factory installed tires on them (255/75/17) you are getting at least 2" taller tires and wider tread. if they are off a Sport model, they are A/T = good for offroad. if they are Rubi take offs, they are M/T = better off road.

What price should i pay for all 5? Guy wants 500, i still need to mount them. 5 wheels and tires with only 4K on them for $500 sounds great. Make sure there's no plugs or patches on them. Do they have the TPMS still in them?

Yes, like I said earlier, they (255/75/17) are at least 2" taller and would need re-programming.

jktubby

How much better are the stock 17s vs the 16s offroad? If the 17's have the factory installed tires on them (255/75/17) you are getting at least 2" taller tires and wider tread. if they are off a Sport model, they are A/T = good for offroad. if they are Rubi take offs, they are M/T = better off road.

What price should i pay for all 5? Guy wants 500, i still need to mount them. 5 wheels and tires with only 4K on them for $500 sounds great. Make sure there's no plugs or patches on them. Do they have the TPMS still in them?

Yes, like I said earlier, they (255/75/17) are at least 2" taller and would need re-programming.

They are A/t. I'll look for patches and plugs, they are off the rim so i'll be able to inspect better. I dont believe they have tpms so i'll probably swap mine over. Will i be abel to do that??

07rub

check with the dealer to see how much they are, if there cheap enough i would just get a second set so if u ever need to swap sets u dont need to dismount and remount each time

jktubby

check with the dealer to see how much they are, if there cheap enough i would just get a second set so if u ever need to swap sets u dont need to dismount and remount each time

sounds good. Things arent setting well with the dealership. They still owe me $100 for tint refund. Thats another thread though. lol i think i'll be picking up the new wheels and tires today after i inspect them.

kaptkrappy

I hope it works out.

It will be a big change in the way it looks and feels going down the road.

Your buddies will think you got another new Jeep. :thumb:

jktubby

I hope it works out.

It will be a big change in the way it looks and feels going down the road.

Your buddies will think you got another new Jeep. :thumb:

I can picture it already. it will most def. look better, ill most likely paint the wheels black too before i mount them on.

jktubby

i picked up the wheels and tires yesterday, and had them all mounted that afternoon. Woohoo a little more clearance and fills in the wheel wells more. No more funky looking 4 door on stock 16s. Now to order my AEV procal to fix shift points and speedometer, i dont think it really affected it much though. So i am kind of edgy if i should get the procal or use that money to order some piping to make my own rock sliders.

kaptkrappy

i picked up the wheels and tires yesterday, and had them all mounted that afternoon. Woohoo a little more clearance and fills in the wheel wells more. No more funky looking 4 door on stock 16s. Now to order my AEV procal to fix shift points and speedometer, i dont think it really affected it much though. So i am kind of edgy if i should get the procal or use that money to order some piping to make my own rock sliders.

You might not know this Tubby, but if you don't post pictures of it.............it didn't happen. ;)

Good to hear the deal worked out. :thumb:

07rub

whats the difference in size? when i got my rubicon i instaled 33 for 32, didnt changer anything and when i check my speed with the gps i was dead on and still shifts great so maybe check with a gps b4 making up ur mind

jktubby

You might not know this Tubby, but if you don't post pictures of it.............it didn't happen. ;)

Good to hear the deal worked out. :thumb:

Thanks for the help. I am bout to order the procal to, because i know once these tires wear out or next year when i graduate i am going to upgrade to 37s or 35s undecided and regear to 4.56. I'll post a pic once i get it uploaded, i am thinking of painting them dark grey or black hmmm.

jktubby

whats the difference in size? when i got my rubicon i instaled 33 for 32, didnt changer anything and when i check my speed with the gps i was dead on and still shifts great so maybe check with a gps b4 making up ur mind

i believe its about an 2", i didnt have a ruler with me but i put the two wheels side by side and looked like an increase of 2".

jktubby

ya so the procal is not a bad investment

i dont think its bad either. I sold my 225s yesterday right after i installed the 17s for 150 so pretty much didnt have to pay for a procal since it covered the costs. :thumb:

kaptkrappy

What's up 613 Jeep Club

i believe its about an 2", i didnt have a ruler with me but i put the two wheels side by side and looked like an increase of 2".

Goodyear specs say, 29.3" vs 32.1". So 2.8" almost 3 inches !

Last edited:

jktubby

What's up 613 Jeep Club

Goodyear specs say, 29.3" vs 32.1". So 2.8" almost 3 inches !

seems about reasonable. I was just eye balling it. I'll get the measurement as soon as i recieve my procal hopefully by sat if not im sure monday. Northridge says 2-3 days to tx.

jktubby

thats awsome sadly for me i didnt get much luck with selling my tires lol

hahah i got lucky, i put it them up on craigslist and within the first hr some guy sent me a message saying he wants them.

I am having a hard time selling my steelies, probably take it to the ppl that buy cans and steel. At least i'll get some cash for them.

Top Bottom