Running 315/70/17 Bone Stock

JKBlackie

Will I have any issues running a 315/70/17 on my JKU when everything else is stock? Will there be too much stress on the axle or anything like that? I plan to trim my fenders for a little extra clearance, but I just wanted to make sure that it won't cause any lasting damage to my Jeep seeing as this might be the only mod for a while until I can get some more cash.

Thanks for your help!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will I have any issues running a 315/70/17 on my JKU when everything else is stock? Will there be too much stress on the axle or anything like that? I plan to trim my fenders for a little extra clearance, but I just wanted to make sure that it won't cause any lasting damage to my Jeep seeing as this might be the only mod for a while until I can get some more cash.

Thanks for your help!

315's are about the size of a small 37" tire. You will have all kinds of rubbing issues even with trimmed fenders. At the very least, you will need to run new wheels with less back spacing or 1.5" wheel spacers to clear them at a turn. Why not just save up a bit more and do things right?

JKBlackie

315's are about the size of a small 37" tire. You will have all kinds of rubbing issues even with trimmed fenders. At the very least, you will need to run new wheels with less back spacing or 1.5" wheel spacers to clear them at a turn. Why not just save up a bit more and do things right?

From what I see, a 315/70/17 is about a 34" tire. I know guys that are running this size tire with no fender trim and no other mods and they experience a little rubbing once in a while. I'm not opposed to doing it right, I'm just a student that doesn't have a steady income and I need tires soon. The stock ones are starting to go bald and I need to upgrade. I found a killer deal on some used Trail Graps this size and I was wondering if running a 34.4" tire on my stock rig with trimmed fenders would mess anything up too much.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what I see, a 315/70/17 is about a 34" tire. I know guys that are running this size tire with no fender trim and no other mods and they experience a little rubbing once in a while. I'm not opposed to doing it right, I'm just a student that doesn't have a steady income and I need tires soon. The stock ones are starting to go bald and I need to upgrade. I found a killer deal on some used Trail Graps this size and I was wondering if running a 34.4" tire on my stock rig with trimmed fenders would mess anything up too much.

Don't get me wrong but, if you already have it in your mind that this will work, why come on to the forum with this question? If you ever take the time to measure a tire that states 35" on its sidewall, you will find that it has an actual measurement of about 33". Likewise, a stated 37" tire will have an actual measurement of about 35". Maybe it's just me but a 34.4" tire is a lot closer to a stated 37" tire than a stated 35" tire but if you really know guys running them without any problems, you should just go with what you have already convinced yourself will work.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Don't get me wrong but, if you already have it in your mind that this will work, why come on to the forum with this question? If you ever take the time to measure a tire that states 35" on its sidewall, you will find that it has an actual measurement of about 33". Likewise, a stated 37" tire will have an actual measurement of about 35". Maybe it's just me but a 34.4" tire is a lot closer to a stated 37" tire than a stated 35" tire but if you really know guys running them without any problems, you should just go with what you have already convinced yourself will work.

My 315s rubbed at full lock with 17X8 wheels, 4" of back spacing, and a 3.5" lift. Don't see how they'd fit on a stock JK

JKBlackie

I'm sorry, didn't mean to sound pushy or anything. I know very little about this stuff and I'm trying to get better. I appreciate you trying to help me understand!

My brother is running a 275/70/18 and I think I mistook the size of his tire for a 285/75/18. So in all reality he's really running closer to a 33" and he still gets a little rub but he hasn't trimmed his fenders. I want to just ask you guys what would he best since you guys know better than me, wha size tire would you suggest if I chop my fenders but everything else is stock?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry, didn't mean to sound pushy or anything. I know very little about this stuff and I'm trying to get better. I appreciate you trying to help me understand!

It's all good and I'm glad that you see that I really am just trying to help.

My brother is running a 275/70/18 and I think I mistook the size of his tire for a 285/75/18. So in all reality he's really running closer to a 33" and he still gets a little rub but he hasn't trimmed his fenders.

Actually, a 265 would be closer to a stated 33" tire. A stated 33" tire will have an actual measurement that is closer to 31". I run 285's on my XJ now and can tell you that they do measure about 33" and they are about the same height as a stated 35" tire.

I want to just ask you guys what would he best since you guys know better than me, wha size tire would you suggest if I chop my fenders but everything else is stock?

You will most likely bend your axle c's if you do not install gussets. If you drive hard and fast off road, you will bend your axle as well. You will still need to run 1.5" wheel spacers or new wheels with 4" of back spacing or less and even with that, the bigger tires will put more stress on things like your ball joints and unit bearings. Making turns will be a bit harder as well especially when aired down. Wheeling your Jeep like this will cause a lot of rubbing at a full flex and you're more likely to break an axle shaft.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

On stock wheels without spacers, Eddie is correct, you are going to rub when you turn your wheels. You would need some seriously aggressive backspacing like 3.75" to clear the steering components. You will also hit the fenders if you hit a large bump on stock suspension. Furthermore, if you are just a college student without a steady income, you need to be aware that trail grapplers are made from lead and granite....they are tough as hell, but at a price...they are very heavy...you will need to have your C gussets added at the least, you will take a decent hit on your MPG especially if you are not geared aggressively, and your brakes will get chewed up quicker. You may want to consider going with smaller tire, or perhaps at least a lighter one, like a duratrac.

JKBlackie

On stock wheels without spacers, Eddie is correct, you are going to rub when you turn your wheels. You would need some seriously aggressive backspacing like 3.75" to clear the steering components. You will also hit the fenders if you hit a large bump on stock suspension. Furthermore, if you are just a college student without a steady income, you need to be aware that trail grapplers are made from lead and granite....they are tough as hell, but at a price...they are very heavy...you will need to have your C gussets added at the least, you will take a decent hit on your MPG especially if you are not geared aggressively, and your brakes will get chewed up quicker. You may want to consider going with smaller tire, or perhaps at least a lighter one, like a duratrac.

Ok that's really good to know! I was considering Duratracs as well. What size would you suggest with cut fenders?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ok that's really good to know! I was considering Duratracs as well. What size would you suggest with cut fenders?

Well, I loved my 15" Level 8 Trackers wheels with 33x12.50x15 Duratracs....handled VERY well (very wide stance), no rubbing other than some TINY fender contact at full stuff (non issue with cut fenders) and best of all, the overall package weighed the same as the OEM rubicon wheel/tire setup. If you get them from discount tire (which I suggest you do), you're looking at around $1400 for 5 wheels and 5 tires mounted, balanced, and shipped.

This is on a teraflex performance leveling kit...

8734749108_ae94feb729_b.jpg

On my current rig I have the same setup (level 8 trackers) only in 16" and 315 duratracs.

If you are on a budget, I'd personally recommend the 33s on 15s...just my opinion.

kyle521

i think theres a video on youtube of a whole write up on trimming your fenders then at the end it shows it flexing with 35s on stock suspension. My friend had 35s on his stock 2 door with spacers and it rubbed on the front bumper. I think its doable for short term if you use spacers and trim a lot

JKBlackie

Well, I loved my 15" Level 8 Trackers wheels with 33x12.50x15 Duratracs....handled VERY well (very wide stance), no rubbing other than some TINY fender contact at full stuff (non issue with cut fenders) and best of all, the overall package weighed the same as the OEM rubicon wheel/tire setup. If you get them from discount tire (which I suggest you do), you're looking at around $1400 for 5 wheels and 5 tires mounted, balanced, and shipped.

This is on a teraflex performance leveling kit...

8734749108_ae94feb729_b.jpg

On my current rig I have the same setup (level 8 trackers) only in 16" and 315 duratracs.

If you are on a budget, I'd personally recommend the 33s on 15s...just my opinion.

Do you have any other pictures of your rig with the 15 inch rims and 33x12.50 Duratracs? That looks good from what I can see! I may end up going that route, I was just wanting to get the the most tire for my Jeep that I can right now.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Do you have any other pictures of your rig with the 15 inch rims and 33x12.50 Duratracs? That looks good from what I can see! I may end up going that route, I was just wanting to get the the most tire for my Jeep that I can right now.

Optically, the 15s make the tire LOOK a lot bigger than they really are because there is so much more tire sidewall, that they LOOK larger than say a 315 on a 17" rim. Also, the stance matters....3.75" backspacing is extremely aggressive and gives the jeep a great looking stance, again, making the tires APPEAR larger than they really are.

As for pics, lots in here.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?9769-Jeepin-Across-America-The-Adventure-Continues!

JKBlackie

Optically, the 15s make the tire LOOK a lot bigger than they really are because there is so much more tire sidewall, that they LOOK larger than say a 315 on a 17" rim. Also, the stance matters....3.75" backspacing is extremely aggressive and gives the jeep a great looking stance, again, making the tires APPEAR larger than they really are.

As for pics, lots in here.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?9769-Jeepin-Across-America-The-Adventure-Continues!

Yeah that looks really great. I might do this as a starting point. I love the wide stance. I'll look into this from Discount Tire!

ghostryder

making your front bumper a stubby bumper will also improve the attitude and help with clearance issues you can do that to the stock bumper for real cheap and there are your tube videos to help

JKBlackie

making your front bumper a stubby bumper will also improve the attitude and help with clearance issues you can do that to the stock bumper for real cheap and there are your tube videos to help

Yeah I was thinking I'd do that! It'd give me better clearance, and it would improve the look of the stance.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Depends on the wheeling you do...if you wheel hardcore like Eddie and the guys, then yes, a stubby will be beneficial. If you mostly daily drive with some mild trails, then a fullwidth would be more beneficial more of the time, especially one like mine which tapers off and only robs minimal space from the tires.

metaldemon

I am running 315/70R17 with a leveling lift 2" front 1" back, 1 1/2" spacers on Rubicon Wheels. I do have Hurricane Fenders on it now, but when first put them on I went wheeling. I didn't know it, but I had popped the right rear flare off. I knew it was rubbing.

Sugarbear

My 315's rub sometimes with my 3 inch lift if wouldn't advise it on a stocker do your self a favor and listen to Eddie

Top Bottom