Steering box brace?

Ok... I am on my 3rd Cherokee, for some reason I keep coming back to the XJ.

I bought a 98 rust free 4 door. I just ordered the rough country 4.5" X series with the full leafs and flex arms. Saving up for the wheels and tires now. I know I need to get a SYE kit and new driveshaft.

The thing that I keep hearing people say to do is make or buy a good steering box brace. How important is this? And what does everyone here use to brace the steering box? thoughts, comments????

thanks for any help with this

pvanweelden

When you are building or buying a front bumper for it, you want the typical 1/4" plate that goes back on both uni body rails about 18". Most people think this is for recovery point strength only, but the plate on the drivers side also gives a more solid foundation for the steering box.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

I just did a quick search to show you the plates that you can make or buy for the uni body supports.
1399947379239.jpg

When you are building or buying a front bumper for it, you want the typical 1/4" plate that goes back on both uni body rails about 18". Most people think this is for recovery point strength only, but the plate on the drivers side also gives a more solid foundation for the steering box.

Cool, thank you. This is the first XJ that I am serious about. anything I can do to strengthen it, I shall listen and do.:thumb:

pvanweelden

Sorry, I made a few of them in the past, but no drawings anymore. Google knows :D

travisk

Any good aftermarket bumper will come with outer frame tie-ins that look like the ones pictured above, or you can purchase them separately.

You may also want to replace the failure-prone spacer on the inside of the frame rail with one that spreads out the load a little bit. They look like this:

XJ-SteeringSpacerThmb.jpg

You can also add bracing across from the other frame rail, if you feel it's necessary:

images.ashx

And if that's not enough, then there's the holy grail of XJ steering box braces. This one is from Boostwerks:

IMG_1836.jpg

Top Bottom