Radiator fan on a 2012 jk

noroad

Well out on the trails i was getting a bad vibration from the engine bay, so i cleaned the air intake and it happened again. It always stops once the car is turned off so im thinking its the fan? I cleaned it off and it did in fact have mud on it. Then, just to see if it looked right i spun it by hand, it looks like it is not tracking well and is off balance! Does this mean its toast or should i take it out and look more, any ideas??

loscann48

That sucks....besides the fan issue, is the engine still running smooth or did the vibration come back?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Had the same issue with mine. Too much mud in the fan motor and it felt like I was in a helicopter about to take off. I'd suggest cleaning it the best you can and if it still is off balance, take it in to the dealer but try to show no signs of mud or something that they will see and blame the broken fan on you. From experience, these fans are not cheap but luckily mine was under warranty

noroad

Had the same issue with mine. Too much mud in the fan motor and it felt like I was in a helicopter about to take off. I'd suggest cleaning it the best you can and if it still is off balance, take it in to the dealer but try to show no signs of mud or something that they will see and blame the broken fan on you. From experience, these fans are not cheap but luckily mine was under warranty

Ya no more warranty here lol lost that about 4000 miles ago! how hard is it to take the whole thing out to clean?

Haven't tried it but if you take the air intake out(box and tube) , you will find it to be much easier to reach and clean.

How does the box come out i didnt see any bolts from inside the box??

I believe there's 2 bolts to remove the tube and 2 clamps that need to be loosened. Them from there, The box can be pulled out. It's held in the same way that the engine cover is held in. You can take that off and get a look at it just by pulling it up.

noroad

I believe there's 2 bolts to remove the tube and 2 clamps that need to be loosened. Them from there, The box can be pulled out. It's held in the same way that the engine cover is held in. You can take that off and get a look at it just by pulling it up.

i know where the clams are but are the two bolts just the ones on top of the raidator and then just pull the air intake book up?

Top Bottom