Help! Dif fluid coming out of passanger side axle tube and at the yoke

MI jeepskate

I've got a huge problem. I've got dif fluid coming out of the axle tube and the yoke. I just had new gears installed with a motive gear kit and I guess that doesn't come with tube seal? What do I need to do to stop this!?

Hack12

Same thing just happened to me after I had my balljoints and brakes replaced. I had a bunch of fluid coming out of the driver's side tube.

I brought it back to the mechanic and he ordered and replaced the seal within two days.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a huge problem. I've got dif fluid coming out of the axle tube and the yoke. I just had new gears installed with a motive gear kit and I guess that doesn't come with tube seal? What do I need to do to stop this!?

Your installer should have included a master rebuild kit and that would have come with new seals. To save on cost, I'm gonna bet he just went with a basic kit. You're gonna need new seals for your axles and pinion.

JungerJk

If you changed your diff cover, then he may have overfilled. That was the experience I had post break in period for the gears. Which also resulted in seal replacement :(

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you changed your diff cover, then he may have overfilled. That was the experience I had post break in period for the gears. Which also resulted in seal replacement :(

Overfilling your diff should not cause a seal leak. If they are leaking, the seals are just bad.

Hack12

If it were merely overfilled then the excess would get blown out the vent tube. Like Eddie said, if it's coming out the seal then that just means your seal is bad.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Without hijacking too much....if you have C gussets welded on, do you need to replace seals because of the heat or anything like that?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Without hijacking too much....if you have C gussets welded on, do you need to replace seals because of the heat or anything like that?

No. The seals should be far enough away to not be effected from the welding. The same cannot be said about factory ball joints and the best way to address them is to have them removed prior to welding.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
No. The seals should be far enough away to not be effected from the welding. The same cannot be said about factory ball joints and the best way to address them is to have them removed prior to welding.

Me thinks that Im going to just upgrade em while Im at it...rolling on 35s I should probably ditch the stockers anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i pulled the fill plug and fluid came rushing out, must have been an over fill as theres still a bunch in there

I'm sure that's part of the problem for sure but assuming your breather tube isn't obstructed, your gear oil should NOT leak out the pinion or the axle seal.

Top Bottom