Tranny fluid leak? Omg!!

Brankz

So I found this on my skid plate!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400119883.772022.jpg
Had some tranny fluid and it was leaking.

So what do I do?
Do a fluid change? Why it was leaking? Maybe because today was 100 degrees r ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400119883.772022.jpg

JKbrick

Does your work have the dye you can put in your oil then look at it with a black light to see if it's a rear main leak or something?

Brankz

Does your work have the dye you can put in your oil then look at it with a black light to see if it's a rear main leak or something?

Yup the have that, but I'm taking it to a shop that I know, I don't want to take any chances and get my rig on fire :O

Brankz

I will take Down the skid plate and clean all that up I will make a video and lots of pics so you guys help me thanks

Brankz

Good point, better throw in some hot dogs, buns, and a stick just in case

Hahahahah man I'm far away from my house I'm praying that this don't get on fire cause I know tranny fluid is flammable :O :finger crossed:
We'll if something happen I have full coverage, so I think is time for a 14 rubi lol

txjeeplover

First are you sure that it's tranny fluid and not engine oil? The JK's oil pan is notorious for leaking in that spot right above the large adapter plate between the transmission and the oil pan. If it's the oil pan gasket, it's a cheap repair that can be done during your next oil change.

The transmission pan is farther back and it would be obvious if it were leaking. If it's transmission fluid and leaking in that spot, then you have a larger and more expensive problem. A transmission leak in that spot indicates that the front pump seal has failed which requires the complete removal of the transmission (along with your driveshafts and transfer case). If it is the seal, many will opt for a complete transmission rebuild because the mechanic will already have the transmission removed and partially disassembled.

Brankz

First are you sure that it's tranny fluid and not engine oil? The JK's oil pan is notorious for leaking in that spot right above the large adapter plate between the transmission and the oil pan. If it's the oil pan gasket, it's a cheap repair that can be done during your next oil change.

The transmission pan is farther back and it would be obvious if it were leaking. If it's transmission fluid and leaking in that spot, then you have a larger and more expensive problem. A transmission leak in that spot indicates that the front pump seal has failed which requires the complete removal of the transmission (along with your driveshafts and transfer case). If it is the seal, many will opt for a complete transmission rebuild because the mechanic will already have the transmission removed and partially disassembled.

Rebuild? Fuck don't tell me that. How much is a tranny rebuild? Ahhhhhh
But rig has less than 60k miles do I have the warranty?

jeeeep

Hooked
Rebuild? Fuck don't tell me that. How much is a tranny rebuild? Ahhhhhh
But rig has less than 60k miles do I have the warranty?

you may be covered - depends on how the dealer views your mods..they don't like to expense anything out!

Also, I had a leak similar location - turned out the be the upper oil pan seal - I didn't know these had 2 oil seals!! of course it was the upper one and cost about $250-$300 to repair..but then again I have 95+k miles

LS soon!!! :beer:

Brankz

100% sure its tranny and not oil?

Yea my oil was new and I know the oil smell, plus where my oil pain is, it's all dry.
In the tranny skid plate you can see the most fluid and you can see wet and shinny fluid
I don't know what I will do now <\3

Panda

Yea my oil was new and I know the oil smell, plus where my oil pain is, it's all dry.
In the tranny skid plate you can see the most fluid and you can see wet and shinny fluid
I don't know what I will do now <\3

You may just need a new gasket on the transmission pan, don't panic! But don't drive it when it's low on fluid & DO NOT over fill it or you may need a new transmission if you do

Top Bottom