Heard a Bad Battery could be my problem, what do u think?

Jersey_Devil

OK so I've been having a problem with my 2010 JKUR touch screen radio just simply not turning on at all when I turn the jeep on. Couple of guys had the same problem and said once they changed the battery it fixed it. Now today I auto started after work but when I came out it was off. I restarted it and within a minute it turned itself off. I figured it was something stupid and it would work later. Sometimes the auto start just wont work and the next time I try it works. So on my way home I try to beep at someone and my horn kinda works sorta, it was full sound but it cut in and out instead of just blasting. Then when I got home I tried the auto start, did the same thing, turned on but within a minute it turned itself off. So I sit inside and auto start it to see if any lights are coming on that would cause it not to work (ie: gas, check engine, temp) it turns on then within a minute it turned itself off and no lights turned on. I disconnected the battery and tried it again and it stayed on, I put the key in turned it waited a min and shut it off. Just for shits and giggles I auto started again..... Within a minute it turned itself off :( now I do still have the original battery from 2010 still in it and everyone here knows I love my lights, so could my battery be causing this or should I take it to the stealership?

sent from my obama monitoring device

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You have a crap ton of accessories and you use them. There is a fair chance that your battery has had it. Even if it hasn't, I would switch to a more powerful battery that has better cycling and recovery abilities. If it solves the problem, great. If not, you end up with a new and better battery that you probably should have bought a while ago and you take the Jeep to the dealer to diagnose the gremlin.

Jersey_Devil

Yea I know I need a better battery.... Wonder what I can get at the parts store......

Sent from my obama monitoring device

Last edited:

TheDuff

Sears platinum diehard is from my understanding is made by Odessey and would be my pick if getting an actual Oddessey is not possible:)

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
yep - better battery and with that many accessories, you might double check your grounds and other accessories for corroded wiring.

Odyssey Extreme Series Battery

or Sears DieHard Platinum Battery Group 34

TheDuff

Here is why you would want an odessey battery: Odyssey Batteries - Technical Breakthroughs: http://youtu.be/dA1lT4IKCEc
I've tried lots of batteries in race cars prior to getting a jeep. Odessey was the only battery I've seen be able to sit for literally 2 yrs, suffer no voltage drop, and have no problem trying to start a fresh motor a dozen times in a short period of time while tuning was being done. Don't waste your money on a optima etc.
:beer:

HDGasser

Platinums are badass, and have a hell of a warranty!

I just recently did 2 platinums in my jeep... Only downfall is there pricey lil bastards

Jersey_Devil

Really a die hard? I just went and looked at optima yellow top but the guy stuff they don't make one fur the jeep :what: I was gonna ask what yellow tops ppl here are running.... But really a Sears battery? Even with all my accessories?

jeeeep

Hooked
Really a die hard? I just went and looked at optima yellow top but the guy stuff they don't make one fur the jeep :what: I was gonna ask what yellow tops ppl here are running.... But really a Sears battery? Even with all my accessories?

yep - I've had it for a couple of years now and works great--I'd get the odyssey 1st but it's quite a bit more...

TheDuff

Well, if they are made by odessey, I would highly recommend them. I know Eddie has used and highly recommended the diehard platinum. Maybe he will chime in.

On another note, I've tried optima several times and after some changes in their manufacturing, I've found them to be nothing to write home about... rather just have a duralast at that point, would probably last longer:rolleyes:

TheDuff

Also, I'm referencing the diehard PLATINUM. I have seen it reported in numerous places to be a odyssey in a grey case.

Jersey_Devil

Well, if they are made by odessey, I would highly recommend them. I know Eddie has used and highly recommended the diehard platinum. Maybe he will chime in.

On another note, I've tried optima several times and after some changes in their manufacturing, I've found them to be nothing to write home about... rather just have a duralast at that point, would probably last longer:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info! I'll go to Sears

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Optima batteries used to be the best, and I would run nothing but...now they are trash (production moved to Mexico.) Sears die hard platinums (not the others) were made by Odyssey (the best batteries you can buy currently) and now are built by someone else (either Johnson Controls, Deka, or Enersys, I forgot) but they are still great batteries with a great warranty. I'd run a used sears diehard long before I'd even consider an Optima. If you want the best, you won't do better than an Odyssey.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

When Eddie got his, they were indeed made by Odyssey, but since then, the contract went to someone else.

TheDuff

When Eddie got his, they were indeed made by Odyssey, but since then, the contract went to someone else.

Well that sucks. I still think of odyssey is great value for the dollar. A possible 10 year life span is awesome:beer:

JKFlyer

I've got a 10 w oem batt but ton if accys like u. Had batt tested recently and perfect. Trail dash shows great voltage (14's while running...12's on startup) but sometime started won't crank. Its almost like voltage isn't there to start. Let me know what batt u get and I'll probably do same

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jersey_Devil

I've got a 10 w oem batt but ton if accys like u. Had batt tested recently and perfect. Trail dash shows great voltage (14's while running...12's on startup) but sometime started won't crank. Its almost like voltage isn't there to start. Let me know what batt u get and I'll probably do same

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Will do, think I'm going with the die hard platinum still although I've had great luck with interstate batteries in the past.

sean.m.adams33

My battery crapped after a year and a half. Went with an odyssey and it's great. If I am gone for a while I come back with no problems. I've even left my fog lights on for an extended period after the car was off and everything worked fine and it started right up.

36Fan

If the engine starts every time and doesn't struggle to do so, I don't see how it could be the battery causing your problems?

Jersey_Devil

If the engine starts every time and doesn't struggle to do so, I don't see how it could be the battery causing your problems?

Neither could I, but apparently the JK likes to act up when it has a "low" battery or "old" battery.... I dunno, confuses me.

Sent from my obama monitoring device

Top Bottom