Replacing rear Bushwhackers with Trimmed Stock Fenders

turbineguy

Got 37's and a new lift... tested out jeep on some harder rock trails that I have been running... quickly learned that my rear Bushwhackers aren't going to cut it. I almost ripped my rear drivers side off on an outcrop several times, and messed it up pretty bad. So I am going to trim some factory rear fenders and re-install them. I am keeping the front Bushwhackers for now.

Just have two questions.

1. I am assuming that the stock fenders will work with my PS rear corners... correct?

2. How practical would it be to remove the trimmed fenders before riding a trail and then replacing them after it's done, or will this be to much wear on the plastic tab holes on the fenders?

Tyler19

If you don't mind me asking, are you not wanting them on there because it would be pricy to keep replacing if you broke one?

turbineguy

If you don't mind me asking, are you not wanting them on there because it would be pricy to keep replacing if you broke one?

My 37s and lift allow me to step it up a notch on the trails. We have loads of canyons and rock trails here in Boise area. The Bushwhackers look good but they got damaged fairly easy. I can tell that with the right hit they might even transmit damage to the body. Plus they never fit well with the corner armor.

Plus yes. They are expensive to replace, while take off stock fenders are a dime a dozen.

That Eddie dude knows what he is talking about sometimes.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I don't think the plastic tabs would hold up over time, you could try a few bolts and wing nuts to hold them on till you get to the trail? I swapped out my buschwackers mainly due to rear rubbing with 37s (also wheeled with a guy this weekend that had the same issue).

turbineguy

I don't think the plastic tabs would hold up over time, you could try a few bolts and wing nuts to hold them on till you get to the trail? I swapped out my buschwackers mainly due to rear rubbing with 37s (also wheeled with a guy this weekend that had the same issue).

haha... the rubbing was an issue as well. I ended up hacking up most of the underneath ridge to avoid rubbing.

turbineguy

thanks everybody for the help.

I pulled the Bushwacker rears and installed some stock rears instead. Amazing how well they fit.

I also ordered a set of 25 of the tabs to keep with me just in case they rip off and break the tabs.

I trimmed them with a heat guy and a utility knife. Went like butter. I'm not even going to use door trim.

20140519_145225.jpg
20140519_145234.jpg

HILLZ

thanks everybody for the help.

I pulled the Bushwacker rears and installed some stock rears instead. Amazing how well they fit.

Bit of a surprise that the stock ones fit so well, it's almost like they were made for it. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Top Bottom