Portal axles

HLKSMSH

So do you have any questions about them or just trying to pass on what you found? They have been around for a while and will add a lot of ground clearance but yes they come with a large price tag.

hydrohut

So do you have any questions about them or just trying to pass on what you found? They have been around for a while and will add a lot of ground clearance but yes they come with a large price tag.

No questions, just passing on what I found. I realise that article is a couple of years old. Just thought it may interest some.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Overlander is right, it won't work because you cannot put a tone ring on it and are geared too low. The Mopar ones drove like crap and it's the reason why the Mighty FC changed them out for a set of ProRock 80's.

MTG

Caught the Bug
^^ this. Plus your dash will be lit up like a Christmas tree and I'm pretty sure you'd be in limp mode PDQ. Now if you trailer your jeep to various events or, like Overlander just cancel at the last minute, you'll be fine. :yup:

I saw them at SEMA a couple of years ago, they look sweet though.

David1tontj

Overlander is right, it won't work because you cannot put a tone ring on it and are geared too low. The Mopar ones drove like crap and it's the reason why the Mighty FC changed them out for a set of ProRock 80's.

I won't argue the tone rings, and really not arguing at all- more wondering-

Couldn't you just run them with somewhere around a 3.55:1 ring and pinion for an overall axle reduction of 5.325:1 (3.55x1.5=5.325) which sounds about perfect for 40s??

Also- the ring and pinion, and axle shafts that are all before that final 1.5 reduction would be under that much less stress right?

Just think they would be cool if one could make it work ( AND afford it!!)

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Even though they are showing it on a jk and testing it you still come to this conclusion? Did you even read the article?

Sent via carrier pigeon

Yeah I've read it a few times since it was written two years ago. I forgot it's on the internet so it's true. My bad.

GCM 2

Ok, so everyone is a partly correct here about the ability to run portals. You CAN run portals on a JK.......

Here are two of the better known JK's with portal axle ends, and both are Mopar mfg vehicles:

The Immortal

image-2307149442.jpg

image-4128180463.jpg

...and the vehicle Dynatrac used for R&D purposes for the factory

image-446002814.jpg

image-2692923237.jpg

I have wheeled with both vehicles, so I know they actually run, and the Maroon Sahara build I have followed on the highway (under its own power, not on a trailer) back to Dynatrac's shop. Now here is the debatable, or grey area, as to wether or not you think it legitimately is a working JK. The JK with portals will not have tone rings, will not have wheel speed sensors, therefore will not have ABS/ESP/Traction Control......but can not only function on the trail, but also still be driven on the street. The limp mode the JK would normally run in (due to the lack of tone rings that the wheel speed sensors detect) does not happen with portals because it is overcome with a simple trail/street fix, which some of you may know already, which I learned this from Mr Dynatrac himself: By simply unplugging either one of your front wheel speed sensor connectors, this will disable the ABS/ESP/traction control and override the limp mode. Now you WILL have all the expected dashboard lights on, but the vehicle is completely drivable. It WILL NOT have ABS, but does still have the complete ability to brake and to stop the jeep safely......how do I know, because I drove the entire 2012 JKX without my front driver wheel speed sensor connected, and then continued to drive my jeep until April of 2013 like this. Did my jeep stop under emergency braking, yes. Did the ABS work, no. But I still drive and race cars that have no electronic drivers aids, so I still know how to threshold brake. This lack of safety nets of having vehicle computers keeping you alive may not be something everyone is willing to drive with, but you can make it home if you go to limp mode.

So in closing; Portals are cool, portals are expensive, portals require maintenance just like a differential, portals are not worth it for the average bubba. Everyone is right, everyone is wrong, I'm just more of both......

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know that unplugging the speed sensor trick will work on a 2007-11 JK but I don't think it does on a 2012 or newer. I'm pretty sure that both the Red Rock Crystal and green Immortal were pre-2010 JK's. The first time we found out this would be a problem on 2012-up is when we tried to dyno Rubicat. We pulled the sensors and it just went into limp mode. After the Mighty FC was released, we hooked up with Jim and Craig, his friend from Jeep and both specifically told us that the Portals were a problem on the newer JK's and it's a big part of why they ditched them in favor of the PR80's. Having said that, I definitely stand corrected and will say that you could make them work on an older JK but I'm not so sure you can on a newer one.

Moochie

Wouldn't it be nearly impossible to have your Jk pass some local state inspections / registrations with all the lights on the dash lit up? Your cruise control would be inoperable.

GCM 2

I know that unplugging the speed sensor trick will work on a 2007-11 JK but I don't think it does on a 2012 or newer. I'm pretty sure that both the Red Rock Crystal and green Immortal were pre-2010 JK's. The first time we found out this would be a problem on 2012-up is when we tried to dyno Rubicat. We pulled the sensors and it just went into limp mode. After the Mighty FC was released, we hooked up with Jim and Craig, his friend from Jeep and both specifically told us that the Portals were a problem on the newer JK's and it's a big part of why they ditched them in favor of the PR80's. Having said that, I definitely stand corrected and will say that you could make them work on an older JK but I'm not so sure you can on a newer one.

....and see I have learned something here, its a good day! That is why I said, everyone is right, everyone is wrong, I'm more of both. You have found another reason why I like my 'classic piece of iron' 2009 JK, it doesn't have all the problems these new high end techno jeeps have :icon_crazy:

Wouldn't it be nearly impossible to have your Jk pass some local state inspections / registrations with all the lights on the dash lit up? Your cruise control would be inoperable.

Yes, it would definitely be a major problem. That's why portals are actually a terrible choice for almost everyone as Eddie has pointed out above.

Top Bottom