Debating tripping Colour matched fenders

Mitrig

Hey guys debating trimming my colour matched fenders. Wondering if anyone has done that and how they ended up looking. I have seen many around with the stock unpainted fenders trimmed but have been hesitant since mine are painted. Any pics would be sweet. Any tips too a haha

Thanks (y)

Hack12

I've seen a bunch of guys trim their painted fender flares with positive results. If I remember correctly, I think there was even a silver rig with a painted hard top and painted trimmed flares on the Wild West JK-X video.

Here are a couple shots I quickly found on google.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400517547.540553.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400517554.619169.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400517561.051499.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I personally love the painted fenders when trimmed, depending on what lines you choose. I have never seen a set in person however. How does the paint hold up if they get ripped off? just kinda curious now that im thinking about that.

Heholua

I personally love the painted fenders when trimmed, depending on what lines you choose. I have never seen a set in person however. How does the paint hold up if they get ripped off? just kinda curious now that im thinking about that.

I have not ripped mine off, but they do scratch just like any painted plastic.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Tripped, I mean Trimmed painted ones don't look too bad. I'd do it, if I had painted flares. I don't so I guess I won't, but I would if I could.:)

Latitude25

Sounds like the thing to watch for is chipping the paint off at the edges when you make the cut. I can see how putting that door edge trim on that people use would be a necessity in this case - it may hide any chips that happen.

Heholua

Sounds like the thing to watch for is chipping the paint off at the edges when you make the cut. I can see how putting that door edge trim on that people use would be a necessity in this case - it may hide any chips that happen.

I taped the fenders off with blue painters tape, then used a jigsaw with a fine metal blade and it worked like a champ

Mitrig

Thanks boys!!!! Yea that is what has been scaring me off from doing it is chipping the paint past th point where the trim could hide it. I love the look of trimmed fenders i guess now i just need to grow a bigger set of balls and make the first cut shah.

Rideski

I just trimmed my white fenders this past weekend and they look great. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel and it worked well. No paint chipping at all - the factory paint stays in tact.
Here is a picture of Everest post surgery..
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400687780.047849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mitrig

I just trimmed my white fenders this past weekend and they look great. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel and it worked well. No paint chipping at all - the factory paint stays in tact.
Here is a picture of Everest post surgery..
View attachment 84271

Those look great!!! I'm just afraid I won't like the line I pick ight now

Rideski

Ya, once you make that cut you are committed!
I took a long time taping and re-taping before I was happy with my lines. I would tape then stand back and look at the jeep from many different angles. Cutting them only took a short amount of time.

Top Bottom