HID PROJECTORS headlight system Install

TowMator

Hey guys after debating after many weeks after which light system i wanted to go with i pulled the trigger on HID Projectors headlight system. Main reason is i like the spread of light coverage much better than JW speaker, also the cut off is like no other (so crisp and clean). Now as for the install I am a newb to anything electrical and have minimal skills. However, this install is 1 out of 10 difficulty:thumb:

Alright to start things off the packaging was very well put together and secure. Tom provides an email with detailed instructions (which i printed out) and he provides a video for the wiring harness. So fare so good.

hidprojectors.jpg

So i took everything out and set it on the table to try and make sense of it all. I have a 2012 jeep so there is an extra harness that the video doesnt provide. It connects to the main harness wires than to the actual light, wasn't hard to figure it out.

hidprojectors3.jpg
hidprojectors11.jpg

Alright now its time to take the grill off to make things 100% easier and to take off the old lights. Just 4 screws and some tabs. If you need instructions to take the grill off i suggest having someone put the HIDS on for you :D

hidprojectors4.jpg

I put the main HID harness on the left side by my Air intake. Main reason is because the positive wire has to reach the battery so its the only place to put it.

hidprojectors6.jpg

As you can see all the harnesses are plug and play for an easy install.

hidprojectors5.jpg

The most time consuming part was trying to find a place to install all the harnesses and where to install the ballast. On the left side i used the(1) red screw by my intake behind the headlight. Its just one screw but it fits the ballast hole perfectly and holds it tight in place.

hidprojectors7.jpg

On the right side i had to cut some plastic piece as you can see and i used (1) red screw that isn't used for anything and it fits the ballast perfectly.

hidprojectors8.jpg

Now once everything is bolted up and all harnesses are plugged in correctly its time to check to see if it actually works. Leave the grill off because of the adjusting you will need to do later on. Now this is the only complaint i have about this system is the fitment onto the headlight housing. It obviously isn't OEM headlights so it wont fit perfectly. As Tom states just align them up as close as you can than in an x pattern slowly tighten down the 4 screws holding the headlight in. It worked for me and no cutting or trimming was necessary.

hidprojectors9.jpg

Alright so after doing the adjustments on the headlight housing and having it correctly aligned. Now its time to adjust them horizontally so you don't blind oncoming traffic. Park 25ft away from a wall. Measure the middle of your headlight. Go to the wall and put a piece of tape with the measurement you got from the headlight. Go 2'' below that and align it to that measurement.
Tip* to get it really even cover one headlight and do it one at a time.

hidprojectors12.jpg
hidprojectors13.jpg

Here is the finished product i got all black and also painted the silver ring black from the factory headlights before installing.

hidprojectors14.jpg

Overall I am beyond pleased with this setup and so glad that i went this route instead of any other. Tom has some of the best customer service i have ever experienced and with hand written notes on my billing list is just doesn't get better than that.

hidprojectors10.jpg

Last edited:

dglangan

Cool write up, they look awesome! And kudos to you for being in the 1% of people (at least in my area) who upgrade to HIDs and replace the factory housing. One of my pet peeves is being blinded by some idiot who just got his new HIDs installed in the stock housing and didn't even attempt to aim them.

Do you still have a high beam? That was one of the things that drove me away from HIDs when I was looking at them years ago.

TowMator

Thanks. Yes I did it the right way lol. Yes I have all the stock controls as stock. Such as lights turn on when I hit the unlock on my alarm, low beam, and extremely bright high beam. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.
I'll post more pics later

TNuggs13

I'm looking to go this route as well. Thanks for the write up. It's very informative and seemed like a pretty straight forward install. How long did it take you from start to finish to get these installed and dialed in? Also when pulling up behind someone at a stop light, where does the cut off sit on the car in front of you?

Edit: nice hat on the table by the way! GO ANGELS!!

TowMator

CA! Well the install should only take about 1-2 hours. It took me longer because I had to find where to mount everything. I rode with the grill off till night fall so I could adjust the lights on the garage.
The lights hit the top of the trunk of cars in front me, but I have a 4in lift with 35's so as I pass next to them it hits their side mirrors for a second or two. I haven't had any people flashing me or anything though.

biggy

Nice writeup. I'm very pleased as well with my lights from Tom.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TowMator

I went 55w with 6k bulbs for a more blue tint rather than white light output. Looks like my old honda s2000 OEM HID kit.

biggy

Crazy price for the whole setup, close to $600. I'd slap in some truck lites. But that's just me.

More expensive but they have better light output and way better cutoff. Truck lites are very good but I've had mine beside my buddies truck lites and he agrees that the projectors are better. Plus you can customize them if your into that

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TowMator

Crazy price for the whole setup, close to $600. I'd slap in some truck lites. But that's just me.

Their really is no comparison between HID Projectors vs. truck lites. The HID system is far superior. Pictures don't do justice if you saw them both together in person you would tell a huge difference. The brightness and crisp cutoff is worth the extra $$. If your spending that much on lights you might as well get the best HID or JW.:thumb:

Top Bottom