Help with back of front seat removal.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Ok fellas, I have a 2 door and need to haul some stuff about 2 hours away for the wifey. I was thinking about removing the back of the front passenger seat so I can lay these bookcases on seat part all the way to the tailgate. Rear seat is out. Has anybody ever or know if I just have to remove the two bolts on each side and then it just slides off? I have the sport so no heated seats or wiring to worry about. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I've never done it so I couldn't say for sure but, I don't think I've ever seen a modern car seat that can just be unbolted and taken apart like that. Even if you could, I think it would be a lot faster and easier just to remove the 4 bolts holding the seat to the floor and pull it out. That is something I have done many times and it's quick and easy.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Honestly, I've never done it so I couldn't say for sure but, I don't think I've ever seen a modern car seat that can just be unbolted and taken apart like that. Even if you could, I think it would be a lot faster and easier just to remove the 4 bolts holding the seat to the floor and pull it out. That is something I have done many times and it's quick and easy.

Thanks Eddie! I just might do that. Might be easier after looking at option I was going to take.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

This. Modern auto seats generally utilize hog rings, and those bastards are not fun to play with. Disassembling the seat isn't THAT complicated (and you could probably do it provided you have the tools like hog ring pliers,) but it takes skill to put things back together. It's not like mechanical stuff...leatherwork takes skill to get things tensioned properly. Agree with Eddie, just take the seat out. If you don't want to deal with the 6000ft/lbs of torque of the seat bolts, you can remove 6 13mm nuts under the seat that bolt the seat to the rails....a ratcheting wrench makes this an easy job, just unplug all the airbag and seatbelt sensor clips.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't want to deal with the 6000ft/lbs of torque of the seat bolts, you can remove 6 13mm nuts under the seat that bolt the seat to the rails....a ratcheting wrench makes this an easy job, just unplug all the airbag and seatbelt sensor clips.

:cheesy: It's not that bad. There's just some blue loc-tite you have to break through and a breaker bar will help with that. After that, it's much easier to deal with in the future.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: It's not that bad. There's just some blue loc-tite you have to break through and a breaker bar will help with that. After that, it's much easier to deal with in the future.

I used to think....ok, jeep cares about safety, so they used massive monster bolts to secure the seats with enough torque to tenderize an elephant...until I installed my sound system....and saw that while the rails are indeed bolted down like a monument, the seat itself is only bolted to the rails with 6 itty bitty nuts with like 25ft/lbs of torque on em. :D Made zero sense to me.

pvanweelden

I thought it was just like a lazy boy, push two metal tabs and pull the top off? :D
Jk.

The four bolts are easy to take out with a breaker bar, as Eddie said. And here's a pic of the 2 plugs that nfrs2000nyc mentioned.
1400597384040.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
This. Modern auto seats generally utilize hog rings, and those bastards are not fun to play with. Disassembling the seat isn't THAT complicated (and you could probably do it provided you have the tools like hog ring pliers,) but it takes skill to put things back together. It's not like mechanical stuff...leatherwork takes skill to get things tensioned properly. Agree with Eddie, just take the seat out. If you don't want to deal with the 6000ft/lbs of torque of the seat bolts, you can remove 6 13mm nuts under the seat that bolt the seat to the rails....a ratcheting wrench makes this an easy job, just unplug all the airbag and seatbelt sensor clips.

You would not have to mess with the hog rings if one was to just take off the back. Not disassembling just removing. I am pressed for time. Going to be taking off this afternoon. Taking seat out would be best option. I need about 72" from front to back and 16" wide. Too bad they aren't tires. I could stuff them any which way.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. Once I unplug them do I need to do anything else? They should work fine when I plug them back in right? It won't throw any sensors off?

pvanweelden

I wouldn't be surprised if the passenger air bag light came on without it being plugged into the underseat sensor. not a big deal tho, and should resolve itself when plugged back in later.

and it looks like there are 2 plugs in the sensor, and then the plug to the left in my pic should be the seat belt sensor wire.

I have 2 black wires in the pic that are my heated seats, disregard those and the plugs behind the seat rail.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't be surprised if the passenger air bag light came on without it being plugged into the underseat sensor. not a big deal tho, and should resolve itself when plugged back in later.

and it looks like there are 2 plugs in the sensor, and then the plug to the left in my pic should be the seat belt sensor wire.

I have 2 black wires in the pic that are my heated seats, disregard those and the plugs behind the seat rail.

Appreciate it!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Well I did it as Eddie suggested. Worked like a charm:thumb:. Has anybody ever said to themselves as you were loosening a bolt....maybe I should have my hand open just in case it slips! Thanks all in the quick answers and help. I'm off to da mountains! Keep on jeepin':rock:

Top Bottom