Best 2.5 to 3 inch lift (coil springs, shocks,etc,)

mjhau02

I have a 2010 JKU. Thinking of lifting soon. I do light off roading now, but want to be able to add more later.Is there a good lift you can add to as you go. I have been looking at BDS, Rusty's, and Teraflex. Your thoughts are appreciated. Oh, I want to run 35' s for now. Thoughts there as well. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
at this lift height, "best" is kind of subjective due to the fact that everyone has a different idea of what a comfortable ride is. if it were me, i would go with an evo mfg enforcer kit with bilstein 5100 shocks and drag link flip kit. if you like a ride that is more firm, an FT 3" ultimate kit is a good option and if you like it even more firm, the TF 2.5" coil kit might be what you want. ideally, the more components you can afford to get (adjustable control arms, etc), the more you can dial in your ride. being that you have an automatic, you should be aware that you will need to get a new front driveshaft as well so, be sure to include that in your cost. since you have a 4-door, you'll be fine with the rear shaft.

Trail_Creeper

If you plan to stay in your local area it looks/sounds like you wont need much, however if you plan to make trips to the "larger" off road areas then you will obviously need the larger lift, tires, etc.

I've been looking into the AEV lift for the extra weight I plan to load into the JK for trips. They seem to have a little higher spring rate keep the jeep from squatting as much when loaded down.

Now with that said I used to be a big Rubicon Express fan, still am somewhat, just not as it pertains to the JK market. I had an excellent experience with them in my old XJ, and on my old TJ.

A lot of it I feel comes down to how much you are looking to spend. A lot Of the aftermarket companies have the ability to build on stages (springs/shocks, then long arms later, etc) so something like that might fit your budget better then an all out lift all at once.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking into the AEV lift for the extra weight I plan to load into the JK for trips. They seem to have a little higher spring rate keep the jeep from squatting as much when loaded down.

they just use a dual rate coil and there's nothing special about them. currie, RK and even RC all make them and you can even order them separately if that's your biggest concern. but, you should know that a spring that can support a heavy load will also be a spring that will provide a harsher ride unloaded and will also be one that doesn't offer as much flex (if that matters to you). for how expensive the aev kits are and for how little you really get with them, i might recommned that you get something else and if you really feel the need to get dual rate coils, you will most likely be able to still afford a set and come out ahead.

Now with that said I used to be a big Rubicon Express fan, still am somewhat, just not as it pertains to the JK market. I had an excellent experience with them in my old XJ, and on my old TJ.

RE used to make top notch stuff and i loved the 3.5" super flex kit i had on my old TJ. having said that, they aren't the same company they used to be and i haven't been impressed with any of the JK kits.

Trail_Creeper

wayoflife said:
they just use a dual rate coil and there's nothing special about them. currie, RK and even RC all make them and you can even order them separately if that's your biggest concern. but, you should know that a spring that can support a heavy load will also be a spring that will provide a harsher ride unloaded and will also be one that doesn't offer as much flex (if that matters to you). for how expensive the aev kits are and for how little you really get with them, i might recommned that you get something else and if you really feel the need to get dual rate coils, you will most likely be able to still afford a set and come out ahead.

9 times out of 10 my wheeling stuff stays in the jeep, so the heavier spring rate I'm not too worried about. As for the flex, I was told the same thing about running a Dakota leaf pack in the back of my XJ and it flexes pretty well. I don't know if that has anything to do with all my "gear" in it all the time though.

wayoflife said:
RE used to make top notch stuff and i loved the 3.5" super flex kit i had on my old TJ. having said that, they aren't the same company they used to be and i haven't been impressed with any of the JK kits.

I haven't seen very many people running the JK kits from them, still try into figure out why. I mean the previous kits did pretty well. I wonder if it has anyhow to do with the transfer of ownership a while back.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
9 times out of 10 my wheeling stuff stays in the jeep, so the heavier spring rate I'm not too worried about. As for the flex, I was told the same thing about running a Dakota leaf pack in the back of my XJ and it flexes pretty well. I don't know if that has anything to do with all my "gear" in it all the time though.

LOL!! leafs and flex in the same breath sound like an oxymoron to me but, that's just me. still, to each their own :yup:

I haven't seen very many people running the JK kits from them, still try into figure out why. I mean the previous kits did pretty well. I wonder if it has anyhow to do with the transfer of ownership a while back.

their long arm kit uses radius arms front and rear and have been notorious for blowing out bushings. they're short arm kits are okay but, come with fixed arms and for the money, not worth it. they are now owned by 4wheelparts and have fallen out of favor to most.

JeepJK4832

This is a lot of good info. I've also been thinking about lifting my jk. I have a 2007 X, manual transmission. I think I've read before that I'd have to replace the rear driveshaft too? I would also want to regear since i have 3.21 gears, but should i regear or swap out axles? More so the rear axle because i believe it is a 35. Mostly I've been looking at teraflex kits, but I'm always open to advice. I'm only looking to do 35" tire and would only go offroading once or twice a month to start. I want to build the jeep up before i do though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is a lot of good info. I've also been thinking about lifting my jk. I have a 2007 X, manual transmission. I think I've read before that I'd have to replace the rear driveshaft too? I would also want to regear since i have 3.21 gears, but should i regear or swap out axles? More so the rear axle because i believe it is a 35. Mostly I've been looking at teraflex kits, but I'm always open to advice. I'm only looking to do 35" tire and would only go offroading once or twice a month to start. I want to build the jeep up before i do though.

while there were a small handful of 07's that came with a dana 35 (we have one), the vast majority of them came with dana 44's. if your rear axle looks like an oval WWI army helmet, you have a 35. if it's got corners and a shape to it, you've got a dana 44 and you'll be fine with it.

being that you have a 2-door, you really need to think about replacing your rear shaft sooner than later with 3" of lift or more. TF makes good kits but, i would recommend that you skip their basic shocks and get a set of bilstein 5100's instead. another good kit to consider is the evo's enforcer which has the softed ride you can get.

JeepJK4832

Good to know, as always thanks for the info. I just went out and found out it is a dana 44 rear axle, not a 35. I'll definitely look at evo, the only thing that sucks is they'd have to ship it all the way to pa. You guys all make me wish i lived in cali.

Trail_Creeper

wayoflife said:
LOL!! leafs and flex in the same breath sound like an oxymoron to me but, that's just me. still, to each their own :yup:

I know the leafs don't flex the best don't get me wrong but for an old XJ it does well

mjhau02

Lots of good info here. What is the minimum lift without changing front drive shaft? I thought 3 inch would be ok. I was under the impression that 4 inches was the change point. Thanks so much for the info.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of good info here. What is the minimum lift without changing front drive shaft? I thought 3 inch would be ok. I was under the impression that 4 inches was the change point. Thanks so much for the info.

07-up, 2.5" of lift with shocks that are short enough and you are good to go with the factory shaft. on a 2-door, you'll want to replace the rear shaft and install a set of rear upper adjustable control arms to set the pinion angle at 3" or more. failure to do so will leave the cv boots to fail prematurely and then the bearings inside shortly thereafter. trust me, i have seen this happen time and time again. on a 12 or newer, you'll want to change out the front shaft on and auto or manual on a 2.5" lift if you are running longer shocks. at 3" or more, you will want to replace the front shaft for sure. on a 07-11 with a manual, you will NOT need to replace the front shaft but, on an auto, you will want to change it out.

wolfsjk

So all the talk about RE is making me think I made the wrong purchase for my lift. I ordered the RE standard 3.5 with 5100's. Wayalife, what can I also purchase to maximize this lifts potential with breaking the bank? As to my jeep I ordered ARBs, 4:88s, and a compressor.

What can I get for my RE lift to make it Rubicon Trail ready. Im really green and this is something I want to get into. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So all the talk about RE is making me think I made the wrong purchase for my lift. I ordered the RE standard 3.5 with 5100's. Wayalife, what can I also purchase to maximize this lifts potential with breaking the bank? As to my jeep I ordered ARBs, 4:88s, and a compressor.

What can I get for my RE lift to make it Rubicon Trail ready. Im really green and this is something I want to get into. Thanks.

assuming your kit came with cam bolts, i would promptly toss them in the trash and get adjustable front lower control arms in their place. aside from that, the coils and shocks you have will be fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea they come with the cam bolts, they look kinda sketchy anyway.

Drivelines? Rear control arms?

is it safe to assume you have a 2-door? if so, you should start saving up for a rear 1310 shaft and a pair of adjustable rear upper control arms to set your pinion angle. your factory shaft will last for a bit and i would run it until it breaks or you can afford to replace it. if you have an auto, i would get a front as well as failure to do so will result in a torn slip shaft boot. over time, it will start to stick and cause damage to your cv joint. this too won't happen immediately but, it is something you will need to address eventually.

Tackerdown

Banned
07-up, 2.5" of lift with shocks that are short enough and you are good to go with the factory shaft.
Would this include a factory shock with shock extensions , like the RC series 2 BB lift without shocks or does the shock extension create the same alignment issues as longer shocks?
Thanks
Tom

JAGS

Hooked
Hey WOL, you mentioned Evo enforce a couple times. It's talked a lot for ride quality, but you have any experience/see it perform as mid level crawler? JKUR '12 with 37s? I know I can go king coil overs, but price and ride of enforcer...seem good. or just go to kings?

MTG

Caught the Bug
JAGS said:
Hey WOL, you mentioned Evo enforce a couple times. It's talked a lot for ride quality, but you have any experience/see it perform as mid level crawler? JKUR '12 with 37s? I know I can go king coil overs, but price and ride of enforcer...seem good. or just go to kings?

I don't know what a "mid-level crawler" is but I haven't felt held back with my jeep and it's EVO Enforcer kit. I did Moab and some runs in the Sierra's while on 35s and JKX and a bunch of playing in the rocks/desert in Vegas while on 37s. I'm sure WOL will chime in, but I'm happy to answer any questions I can.

35s

image-1558808909.jpg

image-1788674543.jpg

I do not have many pics of mine with 37s on my phone.

image-2373461148.jpg

This is from JKX.

image-1719641728.jpg

Checking for clearance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom