SSHHHH, don't tell my friends

jeff_in_rc

SSHHHH, don't tell my friends. LOL

I am seriously considuring selling my TJ and getting a new JK and I am leaning towards the Unlimited 4 door Rubicon. Of course I have a few questions that are more personal preference, not technical, and yes I saw the FAQ post and it looks like it will answer those questions, thanks for posting that! BTW it will be the Rubi, period!

Anyway a little background, I started Jeeping in March of 2012 with a bone stock 88 YJ with a 4 banger and a 5 speed to make the transition from 2 wheels to 4 and I was HOOKED! Did a lot of work on it and had a great time and when it was time to upgrade I made the move to a nicely built 2004 TJ Rubicon with the 4.0 and an auto. Man what a difference a top and working heater makes, that and AC! Well I have owned the TJ since September first and the wife is pushing for a NEW Jeep. well who am I to complain!

So my first question is, do I get the 2 door, my wifes preference, or go for the 4 door, my preference? I feel that with the extra lenght it will climb better than the shorter 2 door in some cases which is something I have seen first hand. I also like the fact that I can take my dogs with me AND all of my stuff I take when wheeling, something I can't do in the TJ or the 2 door JK.

Now with the 2 door it can turn quicker than the 4 so that is something to considure, that and IIRC the 2 door JK is a few inches longer in wheelbase the the TJ which helps with stability. So as you can see I am torn, what say you guys and gals out there that have or do own both, what are your thoughts?

BTW this will not happen overnight, I am NOT my father, the king of rush decisions! (long story!) We plan on taking our time and I have already started doing some research.
Thanks all!

Last edited:

Right Rudder

You will not regret the sacrifices in breakover/weight for the giant increase in cargo-carrying capacity/kiddo transport(if that is in you and your wife's future). ~116 stock wheelbase is just a bonus.

jeff_in_rc

You will not regret the sacrifices in breakover/weight for the giant increase in cargo-carrying capacity/kiddo transport(if that is in you and your wife's future). ~116 stock wheelbase is just a bonus.

That is what I am thinking, thanks for your thoughts. BTW our only child is now 22 and on her way to being a married woman which happens in November, come on November! LOL
We like to take the dogs out just about every night and they love it so I guess you could call them our kids as well huh? :cheesy:

xkid

The wife wanted a 2 dr. I waited her out for the 4 dr. More room. She packs a lot. Towing capacity and more comfortable ride.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Right Rudder

Damn right, pet kids are just as important as the homo-sapien variety. In all seriousness, the belly of your vehicle is going to meet all sorts of rock love no matter how good of care you take of it (if you are doing the heralded wayalife-type trail stuff) and the convenience of massive extra storage capacity plus stock wheel base is very hard to pass up.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
I've owner a 2door jk and 4door jk. Both rubis. Me and my wife perfer the 4 door for our dog and son. Mine have both been built about the same. 3.5/4" lift. 35s(2 door) 37s(4 door). For me the 4 door climbs better up ledges and rocks and all that

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeff_in_rc

The wife wanted a 2 dr. I waited her out for the 4 dr. More room. She packs a lot. Towing capacity and more comfortable ride.

I did not even think about towing capacity, :doh: thanks! We have been talking about a small teardrop or "A" frame popup.

Damn right, pet kids are just as important as the homo-sapien variety. In all seriousness, the belly of your vehicle is going to meet all sorts of rock love no matter how good of care you take of it (if you are doing the heralded wayalife-type trail stuff) and the convenience of massive extra storage capacity plus stock wheel base is very hard to pass up.

Oh I do take them to some good stuff on a regular basis, Goler Gulch, Last chance Canyon, Nightmare when it's open, etc. Yep, rock rash, dents and scrapes! All part of it.

I've owner a 2door jk and 4door jk. Both rubis. Me and my wife perfer the 4 door for our dog and son. Mine have both been built about the same. 3.5/4" lift. 35s(2 door) 37s(4 door). For me the 4 door climbs better up ledges and rocks and all that

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

A true first hand voice heard from, thank you! Makes me think which is why I posted this. :)

jhires

I suggest you get both! One for her, and one for you. :)

My wife and I have have both a 2 door JK Rubi and a 4 door JK Rubi, and yes, we take them both out on the trail. We both have a history with offroading and Jeeps. I wheeled a 68 Bronco, a 90 XJ, and a 91 XJ. She has had a CJ, YJ, and a TJ.

I got the 4 door because it suited me better. I really enjoyed wheelin my XJ with it's longer wheelbase and when I drove the JKUR (4 door) I felt at home in it. The same reason my wife enjoys her JKR (2 door).

I will admit that mine feels more like a tank compared to the sports car feel of hers, and she does laugh at me over the CB about my 20 point turnarounds on a trail compared to her 2 point turn, but outside that, performance wise we haven't run into any real difference for the type of off road driving we do.

Our kids have long since moved out, but we have replaced them with a Border Collie. :D Being the eccentric type of dog she is, she only enjoys riding in my Jeep. Getting her in and out of the 4 door is as easy as opening the door for her. Getting her in the two door, she goes in through the front door, then over the console into the back. The seat is also much smaller in the 2 door, so she doesn't have as much room to move about, nor does she get to stick her head out the window. Then again, she doesn't like riding in ANY other vehicle than mine and just curls up and quivers when riding in anything else. Even my father-in-law's f350 crew cab, or our BMW where she has plenty of room and a window. Not just a Jeep dog, but a 4 Door Rubicon Only Jeep dog.

When we do have company, my jeep becomes the family wagon.
Since we do take both Jeeps on the trail at the same time, not only do I carry the bulk of the gear, but the majority of the guests as well. When we need to put gear in her Jeep, the back seat comes out and no room for any more than one passenger. I can carry gear, three passengers, and a dog in relative comfort.

So perhaps you can't get both, not everyone is that lucky. But I hope I've provided some insight. Take a look at what and who you will be taking with you and if it will be your primary transportation.

kyle521

Me personally, If I were to get a 2 door, I would get a nice tj like you have, but 4 doors is very nice and you can fit alot of stuff

xkid

I did not even think about towing capacity, :doh: thanks! We have been talking about a small teardrop or "A" frame popup.

Oh I do take them to some good stuff on a regular basis, Goler Gulch, Last chance Canyon, Nightmare when it's open, etc. Yep, rock rash, dents and scrapes! All part of it.

A true first hand voice heard from, thank you! Makes me think which is why I posted this. :)

We have a small popup also. It may be within the parameters for the 2 door, but I like to make sure its strong enough. I like to overbuild stuff.

jeff_in_rc

I suggest you get both! One for her, and one for you. :)
My wife and I have have both a 2 door JK Rubi and a 4 door JK Rubi, and yes, we take them both out on the trail. We both have a history with offroading and Jeeps. I wheeled a 68 Bronco, a 90 XJ, and a 91 XJ. She has had a CJ, YJ, and a TJ.

I got the 4 door because it suited me better. I really enjoyed wheelin my XJ with it's longer wheelbase and when I drove the JKUR (4 door) I felt at home in it. The same reason my wife enjoys her JKR (2 door).

I will admit that mine feels more like a tank compared to the sports car feel of hers, and she does laugh at me over the CB about my 20 point turnarounds on a trail compared to her 2 point turn, but outside that, performance wise we haven't run into any real difference for the type of off road driving we do.

Our kids have long since moved out, but we have replaced them with a Border Collie. :D Being the eccentric type of dog she is, she only enjoys riding in my Jeep. Getting her in and out of the 4 door is as easy as opening the door for her. Getting her in the two door, she goes in through the front door, then over the console into the back. The seat is also much smaller in the 2 door, so she doesn't have as much room to move about, nor does she get to stick her head out the window. Then again, she doesn't like riding in ANY other vehicle than mine and just curls up and quivers when riding in anything else. Even my father-in-law's f350 crew cab, or our BMW where she has plenty of room and a window. Not just a Jeep dog, but a 4 Door Rubicon Only Jeep dog.

When we do have company, my jeep becomes the family wagon.
Since we do take both Jeeps on the trail at the same time, not only do I carry the bulk of the gear, but the majority of the guests as well. When we need to put gear in her Jeep, the back seat comes out and no room for any more than one passenger. I can carry gear, three passengers, and a dog in relative comfort.

So perhaps you can't get both, not everyone is that lucky. But I hope I've provided some insight. Take a look at what and who you will be taking with you and if it will be your primary transportation.

Your a funny guy Jesse! :clap2: I only wish I could get her to go out more often but her idea of wheeling is to take the dogs out for an hour or maybe 2 and call it quits. :crazyeyes:
And on a good run? Forget it. As she says, "I don't want to be in the Jeep with you all day". So the fun is all mine and she stays home with the dogs and does her quilting.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, I appreciate it!

May I suggest renting one of each for the weekend and see which one you like better. Take a trip and see which you pack the dogs and other stuff in.

I like my 4dr due to having a youngen.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

jeff_in_rc

May I suggest renting one of each for the weekend and see which one you like better. Take a trip and see which you pack the dogs and other stuff in.

R/
Will

Good idea Will but here in the middle of BFE there is not a rental place that has any. :crazyeyes: I guess I will have to ask a few club members if I can borrow their rides!
This should be interesting. LOL

Good idea Will but here in the middle of BFE there is not a rental place that has any. :crazyeyes: I guess I will have to ask a few club members if I can borrow their rides!
This should be interesting. LOL

I figured since you had Internet you were close to civilization. Just take a trip to beautiful Bakersfield and spoil SWMBO with a weekend in the big city or just wait it out.

Thought you screen name was nc.

StrizzyChris

R/
Will

I'm with Will, everyone is different and your personality will dictate the right one for you.

Example: I, and my entire family, have always owned 2door jeeps my whole life. It seemed like it was the only way they could ever be, but since my old 07 unlimited, I can't see myself ever going back unless its a dedicated trail rig.

metaldemon

I have a 12 2dr JK. It is just my son and I so I really didn't want or need the extra space. If I need space I have a 98 XJ that does that well.
I am a little old school, and really wish I had spent the money on a YJ or a TJ instead of the JK. Mechanically I love it, electronically not so much. I just don't like the nanny systems like ABS, Traction control, and roll mitagation. Live and learn.

RockyJk

I bought a 2 door when I really wanted a 4 door I regret settling for the 2 door, biggest reason is the difference in Cargo room

suicideking

Hey Jeff,
I didn't really have a choice because I had two kids at the time I bought mine, now have three. Plus I need the cargo room for work.

In over two years of wheeling as much as I can, I've only found one obstacle that I couldn't make it up in the 4 door that most of the 2 doors were making it up with little trouble. The trail was 2n17x (pilot rock) in the Deep Creek area near Arrowhead. There's one obstacle that often gets washed out and has a ledge that is often difficult for 4 doors. I had made it up once before with a much lesser build. That particular day, none of the 4 doors were making it up. You could get the front up, but then get stuck in the middle and slide back down. I had to back all the way down the steep hill and take the bypass. This is locked f/r on 35's where I made it open/open on 33's and less lift in the past.

So I've done the trail 4 times now and that was the only time I coudln't make it. I did it this last Sunday and doing it again this coming Saturday.

Other than that one obstacle, I haven't found anything a similarly equipped 2 door can do that I can't. In fact, quite the opposite. Climbs such as most waterfalls like in Calico are easier with a 4 door because of the longer wheelbase. I've seen 2 doors struggle on stuff and then I just cruise right up it. Some would say it's drivers skill, but not in my case. :cheesy:

Chevy Dave

I'll go against the pack here and put in a plug for two doors. I'm young though with no family so hauling people isn't in the equation. That being said I have no real space limitations. I fit 4 dozen duck decoys, 3 shotguns, a toolbox and two large duffel bags stuffed full of hunting stuff in my 2 door for the drive from Wisconsin to Arkansas to duck hunt. All while towing a boat at ~1500 lbs. For 8 months of the year I have a boat on my hitch and my 2 door tows it fine. If you need the space get a four door but I have a pickup truck to do truck type work and tow bigger loads. Honestly I just hate the way four doors look. I hate crew cab trucks and sedans as well though. For me a two door is the only true jeep. But, it's all personal preference, what you need, and what you can afford

OllllllllO Instagram @LucyTheJeep

DA RUNT

2dr. Stretch BAM.... We have one and it fits us perfect. Just me the wife and our lab tho. It's all about personal preference and what fits your particular needs. If my kids were still at home, I would have gotten the 4 dr for sure. I say you take both for a test drive, maybe even rent one of each for a weekend and see what fits your lifestyle better. :twocents:

Top Bottom