Hard Top Repair

mikefishes

Has anyone here had any experience, and is there possibly a write-up, with fiberglass repair on the Freedom Hard Top? I accidentally punched a hole about the size of a silver dollar in the back passenger side corner. It is on a relatively smooth part of the corner and the edges around it are all flat. If it were a hole in a piece of drywall it would be an easy repair.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Fiber glass resin, and mat. Then you need to sand it down. Probably better off taking it to a body shop.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've done some fiberglass work on boats a few years back and it isn't easy. Although something like that wouldn't be too hard. It's messy stuff and practicing on some scrape stuff will help.

mikefishes

I've done some fiberglass work on boats a few years back and it isn't easy. Although something like that wouldn't be too hard. It's messy stuff and practicing on some scrape stuff will help.

Thanks Adam. I took Olrams advice and have been perusing youtube for repair videos. I agree, it looks messy. Looks do-able though.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thanks Adam. I took Olrams advice and have been perusing youtube for repair videos. I agree, it looks messy. Looks do-able though.

Just be careful with YouTube. Next thing you know you've spent 6 hours watching videos unrelated to what you went there for.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I posted a few photos. To be precise about the size, it is suspiciously close in size to the top end of a high-lift jack....:thinking:

:cheesy:

So, if it were me, I might skip the fiberglass fix and try using JB weld instead. If you use more hardener in the mix, you can make it work more like a putty. You will still need to add a screen to the inside (you can buy adhesive screen at your parts store) of the top to help give it structure. I would just try to fill in the hole and not go too crazy out side of it. After applying the compound, you might be able to put some duct tape over it like a patch. This will help you to get it more level and smooth. Once dry, you can sand it down and paint. Fortunately, your top is black and it won't stick out too bad.

Granted, this is just a patch and far from body work. If someone were to look at it, you would see it but, at least from a distance, it wouldn't look too bad if not be unnoticeable.

mikefishes

:cheesy:

So, if it were me, I might skip the fiberglass fix and try using JB weld instead. If you use more hardener in the mix, you can make it work more like a putty. You will still need to add a screen to the inside (you can buy adhesive screen at your parts store) of the top to help give it structure. I would just try to fill in the hole and not go too crazy out side of it. After applying the compound, you might be able to put some duct tape over it like a patch. This will help you to get it more level and smooth. Once dry, you can sand it down and paint. Fortunately, your top is black and it won't stick out too bad.

Granted, this is just a patch and far from body work. If someone were to look at it, you would see it but, at least from a distance, it wouldn't look too bad if not be unnoticeable.

That may work for me too. I'm gonna hit the parts store and figure out my options this weekend. Thanks for the input.

Another option is to buy a hard top from a wayalife member that would like to sell theirs. This member also lives in northern va so it would be do-able.

2012 Jeep JK MW3 edition freedom tops.

Just a thought...

What I great thought! Perhaps said member would offer me a "trade in" on my damaged top and keep the difference to around $200? Do you know if he might be open to that option. A high-lift jack (argggghhh) could be tossed in to sweeten said deal. :crazyeyes:

Just be careful with YouTube. Next thing you know you've spent 6 hours watching videos unrelated to what you went there for.

Shhhhhhh. I'm watching "people are awesome volume 38" Don't disturb me.

GRNHORN

What I great thought! Perhaps said member would offer me a "trade in" on my damaged top and keep the difference to around $200? Do you know if he might be open to that option. A high-lift jack (argggghhh) could be tossed in to sweeten said deal. :crazyeyes:

I don't think that option will work, however, for the price of the soft top I am looking at?????????

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I don't think that option will work, however, for the price of the soft top I am looking at?????????

lol not to break up a potential deal but mikefish has a 4 door and you have a 2 door scott so im dont think your hardtop will fit on his jeep

Top Bottom