"Tuning" your suspension

2013CGJKU

I don't know if this is something that is done or not. I have a lot of time to think these days between being in the hospital and my horrendous commutes back and forth across this city.

So, I could in theory run 35s or 40s on the same lift. I would just have run some taller bump stops to keep the tires from smashing into the fenders. Therefore, up-travel on the Jeep is limited by tire size and once it has been established is a fixed gap as long as your tire size stays the same.

Now, one could cycle their axles and measure the gap from the top of the shock body to the bump stops on the shocks and take that number and either machine a spacer for the upper mount to move the shock shaft further down or fab a bracket for the lower mount to move the shock body further up. Therefore getting the absolute maximum travel out of their shocks that is possible.

I realize that there is a point with a regular spring/shock lift that too much down travel is a bad thing, unseating your springs.

But I feel like if I'm gonna drop all sorts of coin for a lift that claims a certain amount of travel, I should get as much of that travel as absolutely possible. If I am running a 4" lift on 35s that I am able to completely stuff, and then I get bigger tires and install the proper size of bump stops so I am properly stuffing my bigger tires there is now going to be potential down travel that I am sacrificing by having unused shock shaft in my up travel.

Am I nuts? Does this make sense? Does anyone do it?

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

StrizzyChris

Your up travel is limited by only 1 thing if your suspension is properly set up. That's your bump stop(or air bump/bipass shock in the case of the DTD system).

You do not want to be limited by your shock on up travel or you risk ruining your shocks.

All that being said, if you want a truly adjustable ride height and are "dropping serious coin" on a suspension.... then it sounds like you need coilovers. At that point everything is adjustable for different ride heights/tires and you'll only need different bump stops for different tire sizes.

BadApple

I have my suspension dialed in with limiting straps and bumpstops to were i have about a half inch from my tire rubbing and about 3/4 inch from the shock bottoming out and on the droop i have my straps so that the springs are just before being loose and my shocks about 3/4 inch from being fully extended on the back i let the sway bar limit the movement.

2013CGJKU

Your up travel is limited by only 1 thing if your suspension is properly set up. That's your bump stop(or air bump/bipass shock in the case of the DTD system).

You do not want to be limited by your shock on up travel or you risk ruining your shocks.

All that being said, if you want a truly adjustable ride height and are "dropping serious coin" on a suspension.... then it sounds like you need coilovers. At that point everything is adjustable for different ride heights/tires and you'll only need different bump stops for different tire sizes.

Yeah, this is probably true.

But "serious coin" can be completely different things from one person to another.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

2013CGJKU

I have my suspension dialed in with limiting straps and bumpstops to were i have about a half inch from my tire rubbing and about 3/4 inch from the shock bottoming out and on the droop i have my straps so that the springs are just before being loose and my shocks about 3/4 inch from being fully extended on the back i let the sway bar limit the movement.

This is what I'm talking about. This way you are using as much travel as possible.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

BadApple

The reason i use limit straps is because 1 ive had a spring fall out and two ive pulled a shock apart.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
The reason i use limit straps is because 1 ive had a spring fall out and two ive pulled a shock apart.

:thumbup: nothing wrong with limit straps. Save your shocks and keep your springs in place when using long travel shocks.

Top Bottom