40's and overall rig height

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I am wondering if I decided to go with 40's what is the minimum overall height I could expect. The rig needs to enter 6'7" garages (79") regularly. On 37's it's never been an issue. But add another inch and a half and then the additional height to allow for the suspension to clear and it's starting to look bad. How tall are your rigs?

Last I checked, mine was around 6'8" but I'm certain others aren't that tall. However, if you have plans of going to 40's, fitting into your garage is about to be the least of your problems. You better have a fat wallet because your build is about to get really expensive really quick.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Last I checked, mine was around 6'8" but I'm certain others aren't that tall. However, if you have plans of going to 40's, fitting into your garage is about to be the least of your problems. You better have a fat wallet because your build is about to get really expensive really quick.

He has already ordered 60's and DTD. :thumb:

GCM 2

......The rig needs to enter 6'7" garages (79") regularly.

That may be an issue. My rig sits at 81" (top of the windshield frame). I could probably get the coil overs turned all the way down to their lowest ride height to hit the 79" mark, but I would rub everywhere with minimal flexing and I have trimmed a lot of sheet metal at the bottom of the front and rear quarter panels. I am not saying that your particular situation will have zero problems, but there are a lot of Off Road Evolution built rigs with the same basic set up you are thinking of running and we all sit around the 81-83" high mark on average. This is why in your first of many threads asking questions I stated that at this level of build, it is not just bolting stuff on, there is a lot of fab work with a lot of trial and error tweaking for each build. Its never as simple as reading through a forum or watching a Wayalife Film ;)

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
That may be an issue. My rig sits at 81" (top of the windshield frame). I could probably get the coil overs turned all the way down to their lowest ride height to hit the 79" mark, but I would rub everywhere with minimal flexing and I have trimmed a lot of sheet metal at the bottom of the front and rear quarter panels. I am not saying that your particular situation will have zero problems, but there are a lot of Off Road Evolution built rigs with the same basic set up you are thinking of running and we all sit around the 81-83" high mark on average. This is why in your first of many threads asking questions I stated that at this level of build, it is not just bolting stuff on, there is a lot of fab work with a lot of trial and error tweaking for each build. Its never as simple as reading through a forum or watching a Wayalife Film ;)

In my head I always knew that 40's would push the limits of my jeep from a practicality standpoint. There are simply too many places that I go to on a near daily basis that have those height restrictions.

I've had too many "street rods" become trailer queens because I crossed some "magical valley of death" for practicality during all the building and customization. Usually it's one or two items that necessitate the purchase of another handful of items a...all of a sudden the car sounds like a pro-stock dragster, has a parachute,wheelie bars, a external battery cutoff, and your eyes are watering from fumes at the stoplight. Having made that mistake more than once I am just testing the limits of where I could possibly go with this build before it's relegated to staying jn the garage except for weekend ventures. Granted that "magical line" is different for everyone, and this isn't my daily driver, but its nice to be able to use it for "whatever" outside of the next off-road trip. So far no need to reconsider my axle purchase but I felt it was necessary to validate my decision in the case that 40 envy took hold down the road.

Last edited:

ttfhell

Dude seriously everyone knows you don't know how to use a measuring tape. RTGUY had to ask you 27 times in one thread remember.

GCM 2

In my head I always knew that 40's would push the limits of my jeep from a practicality standpoint. There are simply too many places that I go to on a near daily basis that have those height restrictions.

I've had too many "street rods" become trailer queens because I crossed some "magical valley of death" for practicality during all the building and customization. Usually it's one or two items that necessitate the purchase of another handful of items a...all of a sudden the car sounds like a pro-stock dragster, has a parachute,wheelie bars, a external battery cutoff, and your eyes are watering from fumes at the stoplight. Having made that mistake more than once I am just testing the limits of where I could possibly go with this build before it's relegated to staying jn the garage except for weekend ventures. Granted that "magical line" is different for everyone, and this isn't my daily driver, but its nice to be able to use it for "whatever" outside of the next off-road trip. So far no need to reconsider my axle purchase but I felt it was necessary to validate my decision in the case that 40 envy took hold down the road.

I would wait to see if Wayoflife has any thing different on the measurements, but this is definitely not the first time this measuring contest has come up. Honestly, the build you are contemplating (with 40"s) is about as large as 99.9% of the big jeep builds ever go, as the benefits you get in return for running 42"s and what has to be done to the jeep will never pay off for trail or street use. That is why 40"s have become the new 37" monster tire for serious off road rigs. I am not trying to sell you on not running 40"s, it is just more commitment to building the jeep correctly to accomplish it without major problems down the road. I don't see me returning to a smaller size tire for my daily driver trail rig anytime.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
So far no need to reconsider my axle purchase but I felt it was necessary to validate my decision in the case that 40 envy took hold down the road.

My bet is there is no way you'll be happy running 37s for very long.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

Sounds like Moby is/was 77" in height. I am at 74" now with 3" of lift. Add 1.5" for tires and another 2" of lift (just in case) and it looks like 77-78" is likely. Comparing that with Moby's measurements that makes sense. I'm still not sure how GCM is landing a full 3" higher than that.

78" is cutting it real close and I'll have to worry about speed bumps in the office parking lot... The kicker on top of that is that 40's really adds another $12-15k to the build. Would truly suck to spend that and realize that it's too f'n tall. Ugh.

Last edited:

xflstl

Honestly, the build you are contemplating (with 40"s) is about as large as 99.9% of the big jeep builds ever go, as the benefits you get in return for running 42"s and what has to be done to the jeep will never pay off for trail or street use. .

So true, I just sold my 42's and got 40's. I either needed to lift my Jeep far more than I wanted to, or take the fenders off leave them off and do a lot of cutting. Or go down to 40's, I went to 40's.
Just picked up yesterday from having my suspension tweaked.
ybe9u7ud.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sounds like Moby is/was 77" in height. I am at 74" now with 3" of lift. Add 1.5" for tires and another 2" of lift (just in case) and it looks like 77-78" is likely. Comparing that with Moby's measurements that makes sense. I'm still not sure how GCM is landing a full 3" higher than that.

78" is cutting it real close and I'll have to worry about speed bumps in the office parking lot... The kicker on top of that is that 40's really adds another $12-15k to the build. Would truly suck to spend that and realize that it's too f'n tall. Ugh.

Because the top of the windshield measurement is stupid and never right. Lol

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
At the same time, from a clearance perspective, thats really all that matters.

I guess but everything pays a part in that height so most vehicles are different. All unsprung weight will play a role as well as tire pressure and tires. So yeah that height is what matters but there are way too many variables to be accurate.

GCM 2

Dang, this is like the 13th time this week I have been absolutely wrong! getting old sucks!

Please see my cut and pasted post below from the thread above that is linked. I'm a jackass for not going back through and quoting exactly what I posted before. Apparently I was also wrong on my calculations in the begining of the other thread too! :doh:

Well, I guess I'm eating crow on this one rtguy1, all my previous tape measure deciphering was inaccurate. My south Louisiana education has once again proven that I was not properly taught to mathmatize and computate numbers and such......

I used my whip antenna to lay across the top of the windshield frame (highest point of my jeep) to get this measurement of 77"

image-3605205830.jpg

For comparison, I stood next to my jeep and used the flag end of the whip to give some background contrast. I am 6' 2" (74"). So my jeep sits at the same height as Moby

image-4120959444.jpg

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
IF I chose to go that route, yes I would be going PR60 and PR80. Afraid I am going to have 40 envy sometime down the road...

I'm in the same boat as you...living here in mid MO, 37s on a JK is uncommon. I would have 40" envy only to be the first in the area to have 40s on a JK, let alone anything bigger than 35s. But my dream is waaaaay down the road. I'll settle for 35s for now.

Top Bottom