Upgrading from 33s to 35s

cyberil

Hi from the UK

After running 33's for 2 1/2 years I'm serious about upgrading to 35's on my 2 door JK. It's more to do with looks than function - 35's look badass.

I want to do this on a budget as I've spent way too much on the Jeep in the last 3 months on doors, lights, tyre carrier, etc.

I need some help on what I need to do and if possible links to the equipment I need to buy from the likes of Teraflex, and other decent companies.

My vehicle in stock form is a 2 door 2011/12 Sahara with a 2 1/2 inch Terraflex spring lift with shock extensions. Tyres are Mickey Thompson 285/70/R17 Baja MTZ. They're about an inch past the fender so I'd be looking to correct this. Also I don't want to have to chop or replace the fenders.

Tyres
The Mickey Thompson tyres I currently have are expensive at £230 each ($390). So, I would be interested in a cheaper aggressive mud tyre as I have to multiple this by 5 and I think I could possibly save several hundred £££'s here. They need to be good for the road though. What do you recommend? No all terrains please.

Axles
As this is the Sahara model will I need some axle strengthening? What are my options here and if you don't mind can you point me in the right direction of manufacturers parts.The only off roading I do is with the UK Jeep Owners Club three or four times a year and is mainly mud based, apart from that I stay on the tarmac.

Gears
Mine's an auto on standard gears, will this be OK or do I have to consider re-gearing.

I have the AEV Procal already, so no need to purchase that.

I have a Terraflex tire carrier and hinge on its way from Quadratec.

Is there anything else I've missed. Any advice is appreciated as I need to work out the total cost

photo.jpg image.jpeg

Paul

Last edited:

Hack12

First and foremost, I would recommend buying gussets for your axels.

Like me, you have the good old 3.8L auto, so a regear may be well worth the money with 35's.

cyberil

First and foremost, I would recommend buying gussets for your axels.

Like me, you have the good old 3.8L auto, so a regear may be well worth the money with 35's.

Sorry I didn't mention it in the original post. I'm running a 2.8 L Diesel Auto.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
advice from over the channel and alot of UK too

Hi paul: 35 is the upper limit of not doing anything to your axles.....As we are in Europe , using green lanes and whatnot and very little boulders, riverbeds,dune jumping etc no great worries. Run 4.10 or 4.88 and you'll be fine. (however the 2.8 and auto can take 35's stock with a sprint booster to shorten the acceleration curve)
If you really want to beef up weld in upper and lower c reinforcements and fit new ball joints, and maybe a sleeve (not a big fan of those). put on a diff housing cover that is a bit stronger on the D30.

as for tires there is a great choice in the UK with the rover accessories dealers......

have fun upgrading!

jkmitch

I've ran 35 km2s on my jk with 3.73s and a truss/gusset kit from pure-jeep for about 6 months. No issues worked fine, my jeeps my DD. It wasn't a rocket ship but it got the job done :)

jeeeep

Hooked
I wouldn't invest too much in the axle other than gussets.

It's too late now as you've already placed your order, but the stock tire carrier is plenty strong. I've held a 35 on my carrier for the last 3 years no issues - yes, I do lots of good wheeling.
Wheel backspace is important, so long as your wheel is firm against the carrier and your tire is firm against the rubber bumps, there should be no wiggle when on the carrier and you should be fine.
If you had stock wheels with the larger tires and the wheel does not sit firm against the carrier it allows for movement and is what causes damage. cheers :beer:

Fruju

Hi Paul, log onto AusJeepOffroad. We have the same engine in our market as you. Lots of guys down under who can help. :thumb:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Hi Paul, log onto AusJeepOffroad. We have the same engine in our market as you. Lots of guys down under who can help. :thumb:

Here is another thought, you could actually try to answer his question here instead of trying to direct a member of this forum to another forum.

Fruju

Here is another thought, you could actually try to answer his question here instead of trying to direct a member of this forum to another forum.

:blush: My bad. I was only trying to help as he mentioned he has the 2.8 diesel which I know is not currently available in the JK in the US, where as we do here in Australia. I have the JKUR 3.6 which you guys do have, hence why I visit this forum or should I stick to my side of the globe? :bleh:
Thats sounds like I now have my knickers in a knot, which I haven't.

suicideking

Should just need Gussets and a programmer. Definitely not familiar with that engine though so don't know about your gears. Factory gears will likely be marginal even with a programmer. For best performance, will want to do gears eventually. No harm in trying it first and then decide on gears.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
:blush: My bad. I was only trying to help as he mentioned he has the 2.8 diesel which I know is not currently available in the JK in the US, where as we do here in Australia. I have the JKUR 3.6 which you guys do have, hence why I visit this forum or should I stick to my side of the globe? :bleh:
Thats sounds like I now have my knickers in a knot, which I haven't.

Just because we don't have that motor doesn't mean we don't either know about it or want to learn.

cyberil

Just because we don't have that motor doesn't mean we don't either know about it or want to learn.

Thanks everyone for your help. Fruju I think that's a great idea and I don't really see why it's a problem. On the uk jeep site we often talk about wayalife and let's face it we don't all hang out on just one forum.

Went to the dealers yesterday and considering a new pentaster jku rubicon. Would actually cost me less than I'm currently paying. Might kit it out with aev goodies too.

Paul

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks everyone for your help. Fruju I think that's a great idea and I don't really see why it's a problem. On the uk jeep site we often talk about wayalife and let's face it we don't all hang out on just one forum.

Went to the dealers yesterday and considering a new pentaster jku rubicon. Would actually cost me less than I'm currently paying. Might kit it out with aev goodies too.

Paul

So if you own a business and I sit in your store telling people to go somewhere else you wouldn't think that's a problem? While it's not illegal it is in poor taste. Especially the way he said it.

cyberil

So if you own a business and I sit in your store telling people to go somewhere else you wouldn't think that's a problem? While it's not illegal it is in poor taste. Especially the way he said it.

No it's different. I wasn't planning on buying anything from the forum

Fruju

I'm not saying that you don't, I was merely offering another source of help or information, just as this site to me is another source of help or information. My intention was not to poach people from this site.

Well in my line of work, and I'm sure others would do it too, I give clients options as to where they may receive the treatment that has been requested, even if it means sending them to a rival company, when we are unable to provide the treatment/procedure that they are after. Just because I haven't been paid for it or taken money off them does not mean I still can't provide a service.

Hack12

Well in my line of work, and I'm sure others would do it too, I give clients options as to where they may receive the treatment that has been requested, even if it means sending them to a rival company...

If you owned this site then you could compare it to 'your line of work'. However, none of the members on WAYALIFE are your clients. Nobody is accusing you of having ulterior motives, just a lack of regard for this forum and it's clearly posted rules.

Intentionally directing traffic away from this site makes you the guy standing outside someone else's privately owned auto body with a sign telling people to go to the 'more specialized' auto body down the street. :yup:

Like Overlander said, it's simply poor taste.

jeeeep

Hooked
wow guys take a valium and put your claws away ..he apologized, let it go - he was just trying to help out a fellow Jeeper

btw from the rules:
While we would prefer that you did not post links or direct members to other Jeep related forums, facebook pages, Google+, chat rooms or other social media outlets, it is something we do allow SO LONG AS you are NOT the owner of the site in question and/or, they do not allow or encourage hate toward the owners of WAYALIFE.com or it's moderators. Soliciting traffic to anyone of these sites is not allowed. Please be advised that your post may be edited or removed if it contains such content.

cyberil

wow guys take a valium and put your claws away ..he apologized, let it go - he was just trying to help out a fellow Jeeper

Agreed. Looking at the number of posts some of them have acquired 11,787 since Oct 2012 (Overlander JK) that's 22 each day, 7 days a week. I somehow think they are spending way too much time on the forums and not enough time enjoying their Jeeps.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

btw from the rules:
While we would prefer that you did not post links or direct members to other Jeep related forums, facebook pages, Google+, chat rooms or other social media outlets, it is something we do allow SO LONG AS you are NOT the owner of the site in question and/or, they do not allow or encourage hate toward the owners of WAYALIFE.com or it's moderators. Soliciting traffic to anyone of these sites is not allowed. Please be advised that your post may be edited or removed if it contains such content.

I know the rules inside and out but that is for posting. That's why I said it was poor taste. If it was against the rules I would have deleted it.

Top Bottom