Rough Country Lift Kit

JKBlackie

So this summer I'd like to lift my Jeep 2.5". It's my first time building up a Jeep and I'm on a tight budget, so I've considered getting a lift kit on the cheap with no shocks, just the adapters, and using the money I saved to later on pick up some nicer longer shocks (Fox or Bilstein). Rough Country has a 2.5" kit for $250 and then I could pick up some nicer shocks later on this summer. Is this a good plan for someone trying to save a lot of dough? What experience do you guys have with Rough Country?

Thanks for the help!

JayKay

Caught the Bug
So this summer I'd like to lift my Jeep 2.5". It's my first time building up a Jeep and I'm on a tight budget, so I've considered getting a lift kit on the cheap with no shocks, just the adapters, and using the money I saved to later on pick up some nicer longer shocks (Fox or Bilstein). Rough Country has a 2.5" kit for $250 and then I could pick up some nicer shocks later on this summer. Is this a good plan for someone trying to save a lot of dough? What experience do you guys have with Rough Country?

Thanks for the help!

I have the Rough Country stage 2 3.5" kit, wouldn't do it again if I would have been a member here before I chose my setup. Since you're on a budget and only doing the 2.5" route, you'll probably be fine. Don't get me wrong, my Rough Country system does just fine on the road, but if I wheeled a lot (which I don't) I would've went a different route. I plan on eventually going to all EVO components, which kinda sucks because all of my RC component will be going bye bye, I feel like the money was wasted. Since your kit will just be spacers, it'll be no big deal to upgrade later.

JKBlackie

I have the Rough Country stage 2 3.5" kit, wouldn't do it again if I would have been a member here before I chose my setup. Since you're on a budget and only doing the 2.5" route, you'll probably be fine. Don't get me wrong, my Rough Country system does just fine on the road, but if I wheeled a lot (which I don't) I would've went a different route. I plan on eventually going to all EVO components, which kinda sucks because all of my RC component will be going bye bye, I feel like the money was wasted. Since your kit will just be spacers, it'll be no big deal to upgrade later.

Oh ok gotcha. It's actually not a spacer lift, it's the kit that comes with longer coils and the shock adapters and all of that stuff. Knowing that, is it a big mistake to go with the RC coils?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Oh ok gotcha. It's actually not a spacer lift, it's the kit that comes with longer coils and the shock adapters and all of that stuff. Knowing that, is it a big mistake to go with the RC coils?

I have to be honest, in some cases my coils seem stiff, then on certain roads, they feel soft or floaty :idontknow: It's hard to describe, but if I were you, since only going 2.5", I'd just go with spacers since you'll retain your factory ride.

JKBlackie

I have to be honest, in some cases my coils seem stiff, then on certain roads, they feel soft or floaty :idontknow: It's hard to describe, but if I were you, since only going 2.5", I'd just go with spacers since you'll retain your factory ride.

Haha that is weird. But ok, you don't think it's worth it to have the prospect of upgrading my factory shocks to Bilstein's? The spacer is a wiser route than the new coils?

trailless

Caught the Bug
This forum has definitely turned me away from rough country.

I've only heard good thing about the Rancho 2" sport lift. 4 shocks, 2 front coils, 2 rear spacers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Haha that is weird. But ok, you don't think it's worth it to have the prospect of upgrading my factory shocks to Bilstein's? The spacer is a wiser route than the new coils?

Definitely just go with spacers since you're on a budget. If you can afford aftermarket shocks, I'd go that route. The shock extensions are known to break if you wheel at all. If you're all highway, all the time, extensions will be fine

Manvan

Put one on my son-in-laws 2 door Rubicon. Took it off a week later and replaced it with a rugged ridge kit. It had to much body roll and felt unsafe. Just my 2cents.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKBlackie

Definitely just go with spacers since you're on a budget. If you can afford aftermarket shocks, I'd go that route. The shock extensions are known to break if you wheel at all. If you're all highway, all the time, extensions will be fine

I'm definitely not all highway. I hit the trails on the weekends! I'll look into the spacers and try to get some after market shocks. Thanks for your input!

JKBlackie

Put one on my son-in-laws 2 door Rubicon. Took it off a week later and replaced it with a rugged ridge kit. It had to much body roll and felt unsafe. Just my 2cents.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wow ok thanks! How do you like the Rugged Ridge kit?

JKBlackie

I've only heard good thing about the Rancho 2" sport lift. 4 shocks, 2 front coils, 2 rear spacers.

Yeah I'm seeing that too! But I'll look into the Rancho kit! Do you run it?

JKbrick

I used the Synergy front lower shock extensions and they are well built pieces that would not break off road. Then since I wanted to go EVO too when the time was right I did the EVO rockstar skids on the rear and my stock shocks worked great until my wife ok'd the fox shocks. I have the Synergy pieces I can send someone if anyone needs them.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Yeah I'm seeing that too! But I'll look into the Rancho kit! Do you run it?

I'm debating it. I want to run a long arm suspension when I replace my stock tires. But I'm adding a lot of weight to my jeep and sagging a bit. I'll see how I feel after my winch and sliders.

If I were to stick with just a coil/shock lift around 2" it would be the rancho. There's also a rebate that would make a little more than. $300.

JayKay

Caught the Bug

^^^THIS^^^ As I said, if I would've been a member of WAYALIFE before I made my suspension choice, I would've chose something other than Rough Country. The only true reason I went with Rough Country is due to the fact that I get a deal on their kits through work. Rancho is a sponsor of the forum and next time I plan on supporting them and EVO. I wouldn't run Rough Country unless I was on a tight budget, otherwise spend a little more and get a better kit.

JKBlackie

I'm debating it. I want to run a long arm suspension when I replace my stock tires. But I'm adding a lot of weight to my jeep and sagging a bit. I'll see how I feel after my winch and sliders.

If I were to stick with just a coil/shock lift around 2" it would be the rancho. There's also a rebate that would make a little more than. $300.

Ok awesome. Does that kit come with everything I need to lift it?

trailless

Caught the Bug
Ok awesome. Does that kit come with everything I need to lift it?

From what I've heard you can run it just as it is. Also some people get new rear sway bar links and move the factory rears to the front. Again that is what I've heard, I have no first hand knowledge. I would wait for someone more knowledgeable to respond.

Edit: BTW make sure you're looking at the Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Those are the adjustable ones that most seem to prefer. Again, this is just reporting back from the hours and hours of research I've done.

Can anyone verify the information I've posted?

Last edited:

JKBlackie

From what I've heard you can run it just as it is. Also some people get new rear sway bar links and move the factory rears to the front. Again that is what I've heard, I have no first hand knowledge. I would wait for someone more knowledgeable to respond.

Edit: BTW make sure you're looking at the Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Those are the adjustable ones that most seem to prefer. Again, this is just reporting back from the hours and hours of research I've done.

Can anyone verify the information I've posted?

Oh ok. Thanks for sharing! I'll see if anyone else has firsthand experience with this kit! If everything I need is included, it seems like a pretty awesome deal.

Dune Crawler

I got the 2.5in suspension lift and it's okay as a starter build, but not something you want to keep forever. Ride IMO got stiffer after 3 years (beach 10-12, mudding 6) every year.

Life's a beach

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I have the Rough country 2.5" spacer lift and added Rubi coil springs from a four door to my 2 door. I got about 3.5" lift from stock this way and my ride is pretty good. I am using shock adapters and will be going Rancho mt7000 or 9000's. The kit was 179.00 and rubi springs and shock were 40.00. This setup is great on a budget and when I do upgrade to the Enforcer kit from evo I will not be out much money from this lift to the one I really want. At least now I can enjoy yhe trails until then with out breaking the bank. Something to think about.:)

JKBlackie

^^^THIS^^^ As I said, if I would've been a member of WAYALIFE before I made my suspension choice, I would've chose something other than Rough Country. The only true reason I went with Rough Country is due to the fact that I get a deal on their kits through work. Rancho is a sponsor of the forum and next time I plan on supporting them and EVO. I wouldn't run Rough Country unless I was on a tight budget, otherwise spend a little more and get a better kit.

So would you say that the Rancho kit is a better choice for someone in my position than just a 2.5" BB?

Top Bottom