Help. Quick answer needed. I'm Concerned about Engine Noise and Non-start

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I have attached a zip file of a noise that my engine just started making today. I hope the file can be opened and is clear enough for some answers.

It starts out sounding like a screeching noise almost like compressed air escaping. As the engine warms up, it tones down to a rhythmic ticking sound that fades but will not go completely away.

Here's the kicker...On two separate occasions the engine would not start. I turned the ignition key to start and all the dashboard lights lit up but there was absolutely no engine response. The starter did not even click like when the battery is too low. Left the Jeep alone for a while and it started up with that awful sounding noise.

Engine coolant is not overheating. The battery is fully charged. There is sufficient oil. The automatic transmission did not overheat. There have been no DTS codes. 30,000 miles on the odometer. Putting the transmission into Drive, Neutral, or Park makes no difference. But the noise will fade as the Jeep warms up.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2 week trip planned that would start this Friday and the timing of this noise just sucks.

Attachments

• Jeep under.zip
    85.9 KB · Views: 34

Moochie

Entirely possible. I can't get the noise narrowed down to any one place. If it is the belt, I'll gladly pay up for the quick fix and the peace of mind knowing that I'm ready for the road.

You need to be at the dealership first thing in the morning.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
You need to be at the dealership first thing in the morning.

You are soooo right.

As it is, I was already scheduled tomorrow for the recall fix, oil change and tire rotation. This will be an additional add-on. I was hoping for some reassurance that there was nothing major to worry about and that the Jeep was drive-able in it's present condition.

If it punks out on me en route, I still have AAA towing. I just don't want to be late for the party on Friday.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
Hopefully that's it as it's an easy fix. Good luck Tom and have a great trip.

Russ,
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Back at you, mate. Looking forward to some dirt throwing together sometime in the not too distant future.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I can't view it on my ipad but best of luck Tom. Hope its a quick fix.

Just got back from Dealer and it is a quick fix...sort of. Dealer didn't have needed part(s) but assured me it would be finished by about 1-2 p.m. tomorrow.

I was told it was the water pump and tensioner.I wouldn't have guessed that since I didn't see any water under the Jeep.

My neighbor across the street (long time Jeeper) thought it was the starter motor not dis-engaging after start up. I would have bet money on his assessment given that on two occasions the engine wouldn't even crank when I applied the key. Would the tensioner have anything to do with keeping the starter from cranking? I sure hope the guys at the dealership aren't overlooking something.

The good news is that everything is being covered by warrantee except the one day use of a rental to get my last minute errands done.

JeepFan

Hooked
Just got back from Dealer and it is a quick fix...sort of. Dealer didn't have needed part(s) but assured me it would be finished by about 1-2 p.m. tomorrow.

I was told it was the water pump and tensioner.I wouldn't have guessed that since I didn't see any water under the Jeep.

My neighbor across the street (long time Jeeper) thought it was the starter motor not dis-engaging after start up. I would have bet money on his assessment given that on two occasions the engine wouldn't even crank when I applied the key. Would the tensioner have anything to do with keeping the starter from cranking? I sure hope the guys at the dealership aren't overlooking something.

The good news is that everything is being covered by warrantee except the one day use of a rental to get my last minute errands done.

It sure sounded like the starter motor wasn't dis-engaging to me as well. :thinking: I called the service writer at my local Jeep dealer and she confirmed the water pump and tensioner noise is pretty common.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I hope you get this straightened out Tom. :yup: There is nothing worse than feeling like you aren't running clean right before a trip.

jeeeep

Hooked
if the pump and tensioner were that bad I could see the no start if it was siezing up on start. for as much as a pia the jeep system is, it does try to protect itself from damage...one day they will rule the world and all we have to do is enjoy the ride!!

Trail Bud

Hooked
Could be power steering pump from the sound of it. Good luck.
If it is a power steering pump and you have PSC ram assist. I have a large and a small pump new in the box.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
It sure sounded like the starter motor wasn't dis-engaging to me as well. :thinking: I called the service writer at my local Jeep dealer and she confirmed the water pump and tensioner noise is pretty common.

I remember that being a common problem a while back. But I'm still puzzled about the no start, no click, no nothing episodes. Holding my breath that nothing else turns up between now and tomorrow afternoon.

I hope you get this straightened out Tom. :yup: There is nothing worse than feeling like you aren't running clean right before a trip.

You nailed that one, my friend. I'll be wondering every time I try to start the Jeep if this will be the time that she gives me a "time out" and makes me wait in the corner.

Could be power steering pump from the sound of it. Good luck.
If it is a power steering pump and you have PSC ram assist. I have a large and a small pump new in the box.

No ram assist (yet) but thanks for the heads up and the offer, Doug.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw this and water pump and tensioner is very common on the 3.6l - we've had to replace ours a while back. Hope you get this all taken care of soon.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
if the pump and tensioner were that bad I could see the no start if it was siezing up on start. for as much as a pia the jeep system is, it does try to protect itself from damage...one day they will rule the world and all we have to do is enjoy the ride!!

Yeah. It is kind of eerie how much punishment these things can take and still get the mission completed. I'm not going to wait for them to rule before I enjoy the ride though. I'm having a ton of fun already. :thumb:

Strainger

Caught the Bug
Just saw this and water pump and tensioner is very common on the 3.6l - we've had to replace ours a while back. Hope you get this all taken care of soon.

I need computer forum 101 classes to keep up with the threads. I missed this reply like I missed your reply on the California or Bust thread. :doh:

The dealership is saying that it will be done tomorrow afternoon. But just in case they don't finish in time, do you know where I might score a Jeep for the upcoming trip? You know, someone who has a stable of Jeeps and might be willing to lend one out for a short trip around the country? :cheesy:

Top Bottom