Bump steer?

Fragsrus

Not sure if bump steer is the right term, but I thought I read that somewhere. Basically, when I come up to an intersection, where there are typically slight ruts carved into the pavement, my steering will randomly pull one way or the other fairly hard. Is this typical of running bigger tires? I have 35s. Or is this a problem with my steering stabilization? I also have an issue with the vehicle wanting to steer slighty to the right at all times. Not like a "pulling" as if a caliper was binding. Im pretty sure if given a big enough area it would drive itself in a circle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeeper Jr.

Not sure if bump steer is the right term, but I thought I read that somewhere. Basically, when I come up to an intersection, where there are typically slight ruts carved into the pavement, my steering will randomly pull one way or the other fairly hard. Is this typical of running bigger tires? I have 35s. Or is this a problem with my steering stabilization? I also have an issue with the vehicle wanting to steer slighty to the right at all times. Not like a "pulling" as if a caliper was binding. Im pretty sure if given a big enough area it would drive itself in a circle.

To my knowledge, bump steer is a steering input caused by the articulation of thr suspension. It's a geometry thing so as long as the suspension is designed well and you aren't flexing like crazy., it shouldn't be an issue.
I doubt what you are describing is bump steer. As for what it actually is, hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Devallee

What brand tire are you running? I know my toyos pull to the right no matter how many times I align the front and I know for a fact other people have had the same issue with certain brand tires. However, if that isn't the problem I would like to know what it is as well because my jeep does the same exact thing. Pulls hard right sometimes when I have to come to a quick stop. Not the biggest problem but it is annoying when I have to catch the steering wheel if I stomp on the brakes. But I would start with checking your alignment and maybe check all steering/suspension components to make sure everything is torqued down properly. Hopefully others will chime in with more help. I wanna say it's just the tires gripping the road in an odd way since they're not meant for pavement they might act a little funny at times when you hit those ruts. At least, this is what I've always blamed my problem on haha

cmireles

To my knowledge, bump steer is a steering input caused by the articulation of thr suspension. It's a geometry thing so as long as the suspension is designed well and you aren't flexing like crazy., it shouldn't be an issue.
I doubt what you are describing is bump steer. As for what it actually is, hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

the term bump steer is exactly what it sounds like - you hit a bump and you kind of oversteer in one direction depending on the bump. That's what the steering stabilizer is for, to reduce and/or eliminate bump steer.

Fragsrus

What brand tire are you running?

I am running Toyo MTs. Although, it doesn't seem right that the brand of tire would cause it to do what it's doing. Not saying it isn't, but just doesn't seem right. If that was the case I am sure a lot of people would be demanding a refund.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

what you are noticing is the width of your tires. when i went up from the stock wheels to my 32x10.5 i noticed this would happen. i got worse when i went to my 35x12.5 wide tires. the grooves in the road are narrower than your tires so your noticing your tires not staying in the grooves.

J33P(ers)Paradise

The pull to right I don't think is the tires I'm running 37" toyo MTs haven't had that problem. But I have heard wranglers do naturally pull right & when lifted it intensifys. My lift & most others have adjustable control arms. Make the right front arm 17 1/4" center hole to center hole. and driver front 171/8" and rears both @ 231/4" that'll correct the drag to the right. also adjustable track bar will help with alignment issues. Hopefully helps

Sent from my ADR6350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tcdawg

The pull to right I don't think is the tires I'm running 37" toyo MTs haven't had that problem. But I have heard wranglers do naturally pull right & when lifted it intensifys. My lift & most others have adjustable control arms. Make the right front arm 17 1/4" center hole to center hole. and driver front 171/8" and rears both @ 231/4" that'll correct the drag to the right. also adjustable track bar will help with alignment issues. Hopefully helps

Sent from my ADR6350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I wouldn't do this if I were you. You want your CA's to be the same length.

OP, what you describe does sound like bump steer. What is your lift height?

Fragsrus

Right now it is only sitting about .5" above stock. It has 2.5 or 3" coil spacers but the coils are sagging bad. I have a 3" lift kit ready to be installed just waiting for the weather to give me a nice weekend.

cmireles

I wouldn't do this if I were you. You want your CA's to be the same length.

OP, what you describe does sound like bump steer. What is your lift height?

Agreed. Might I add, with correct installation of a lift and steering/suspension components correctly dialed in, your jeep should not be pulling in either direction. And yes, arms should be at same length with each other.

Last edited:

AZDIESELPIG

the term bump steer is exactly what it sounds like - you hit a bump and you kind of oversteer in one direction depending on the bump. That's what the steering stabilizer is for, to reduce and/or eliminate bump steer.

This is incorrect. Depending on the height of your lift you will have bump steer until you correct the steering geomentry with a flip kit etc....

What the OP is expierencing is common with Mud tires in the 35" size range. The tracking and following ruts in the road. The SS IMO just reduces the stress of the steering system...doesnt really "stop" anything.

cmireles

This is incorrect. Depending on the height of your lift you will have bump steer until you correct the steering geomentry with a flip kit etc....

What the OP is expierencing is common with Mud tires in the 35" size range. The tracking and following ruts in the road. The SS IMO just reduces the stress of the steering system...doesnt really "stop" anything.

I guess I spoke without taking a lift as a factor here, I was more talking about a factory spec car (jeep). As far as factory spec goes though, one of the SS's jobs is there to minimize bump steer, coming from a guy with no lift on his newest jeep.

When op said ruts, I imagined them being perpendicular with the vehicle and acting as bumps in the road. Now that I think about it, did he mean ruts that run parallel to his direction of travel?

Also, when I said "bump steer is exactly what it sounds like," I wasn't saying that he has bump steer, I was saying the term bump steer was basically an explanation within itself. I was trying to say that it is not just any sort of extreme articulation of the front axle and randomly turning.

Fragsrus

I was referring to ruts running along the road. The ones you find coming up to some intersections.

HILLZ

roads by design are not flat, they have a slight camber to them to help aid water run off so when driving in the lane the car will want to steer away from the centre of the road, and as for the ruts at the intersection they will always have an effect on the steering as the wheels will always want to follow the path of least resistence. hope this helps. if not go get a wheel allignment done. :thumb:

Fragsrus

roads by design are not flat, they have a slight camber to them to help aid water run off so when driving in the lane the car will want to steer away from the centre of the road, and as for the ruts at the intersection they will always have an effect on the steering as the wheels will always want to follow the path of least resistence. hope this helps. if not go get a wheel allignment done. :thumb:

No. This doesn't help. Lol. So what you're saying is any vehicle that doesnt pull itself has a problem? I guess the dozen vehicles I've previously owned that never did this needed some work...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
what you are noticing is the width of your tires. when i went up from the stock wheels to my 32x10.5 i noticed this would happen. i got worse when i went to my 35x12.5 wide tires. the grooves in the road are narrower than your tires so your noticing your tires not staying in the grooves.

What the OP is expierencing is common with Mud tires in the 35" size range. The tracking and following ruts in the road.

I was referring to ruts running along the road. The ones you find coming up to some intersections.

Fragsrus, see the two above posts. its just your jeep tracking in the road which is normal.

Top Bottom