Oil Leak - 2008 Wrangler Unlimited

tonytony9

Hey forums,

As I was checking my wheel spacers the other day I noticed that there was a little bit of oil on my jack. I was lifting the jeep from I believed either the frame joint or by the front axel. Can't remember which. However, from that point every time I check my wrangler's oil level it is very low.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401224120.256510.jpg

Yesterday morning I put a quart of Mobil 1 5w-20 full synthetic oil in it, drove maybe a total of 15 miles, and had it sitting in my drive way about 24 hours till I checked it. The picture above is the reading I currently have after that period of time.

The reading isn't actually as low as it has been reading the past few days.

Also, as it has been sitting here the past 24 hours I notice this oil sitting bellow my car.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401224235.500891.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401224395.859561.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401224429.419897.jpg
^That is what seems to be directly above the oil on the ground.

*Thats the front drivers side there.

The car has 107232 miles on it and the last oil/filter change was at about 105 (right after I bought it.)

My local jeep dealership wants to charge me about $138/hour, so I am really trying to figure this out before my appointment this Friday morning. Anyone have any clue what's wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd get under it and look for fresh signs of oil to get a better idea of where it's coming from.
you may have to wipe all areas clean so you can get a good view.
I'd also check the filter, make sure it was put on properly...also check the oil fill cap seal.

tonytony9

I'd get under it and look for fresh signs of oil to get a better idea of where it's coming from.
you may have to wipe all areas clean so you can get a good view.
I'd also check the filter, make sure it was put on properly...also check the oil fill cap seal.

Kinda dark now but I will defiantly try and do that before Friday. The oil change/filter was done by my local jeep dealership last time, so I'll have to double check. Thanks.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
You really need to crawl under with a light. Could be oil filter, oil pan gasket, or even a leaky valve cover . My jk has 125,000m and a leaky valve cover and oil pan gasket. Oil pan started leaking around 100,000m. Some of the bolts were loose, prolly all the vibration. It slowed the leak tightening them, but once that gasket is compromised it'll still leak.

tonytony9

You really need to crawl under with a light. Could be oil filter, oil pan gasket, or even a leaky valve cover . My jk has 125,000m and a leaky valve cover and oil pan gasket. Oil pan started leaking around 100,000m. Some of the bolts were loose, prolly all the vibration. It slowed the leak tightening them, but once that gasket is compromised it'll still leak.

Thank you for the information. I am gonna do it right now. It's also great to know that your jeep is still pushing at 125. I really want this one to stay for a long time.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Thank you for the information. I am gonna do it right now. It's also great to know that your jeep is still pushing at 125. I really want this one to stay for a long time.

Yeah, should be kickin for awhile. I did stop running synthetic oil oh bout 60,000 m ago . I run penzoil 10w30 or 40 whichever is available at time. Personally, especially down south where I am, the 5w synthetic is just too thin for this engine.

Top Bottom