High lift hood mount and tow straps

FrankenJeeper

I keep the stock jack, as well as a hi lift on the hood with mounts I make from 1" flat bar.

Tow strap is a 20' smittybilt from quadratec.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

ER-RN

What type of off road jacks? What type of tow straps is everyone putting their trust in?

ER-RN

Anyone know if the hi lift hood mount is any good? Safe to keep on your rig 24/7? Or should I just throw it in the back of my jk?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have my hi lift on my hood with ACE Engineering brackets, it is currently not locked or anything. I do live in rural Oklahoma and we don't take the jeep anywhere as a "family" so currently the farthest it's driven is to work. Where I park at work is a staff parking lot so the most that usually happens is the occasional door ding. Not saying somebody couldn't drive by and see it and decide they need it more than me. I do have it secured with nylon lock fasteners so it would take tools to get it off the hood. I am however needing to figure out a way to secure it with a lock. I mounted it on the hood primarily for looks, with the four doors it will fit under the back seat and that's where I had mine before I got the hood hinges. My grandad gave me my hi lift when I graduated high school and its been in every vehicle since. While it sucks and is a long process it has worked great for me as a winching device when paired with the hi lift winch kit. When used as a jack you better have good points on your vehicle to lift from and you better know how to use the hi lift and understand how it can get you hurt. It is generally the last method of lifting a vehicle for me but is worth its weight when I've needed it. I still carry the factory jack for changing tires for now as I am only on 285s currently. I have been checking out some bottle jacks to replace the factory jack when I go to 35s or bigger.

ER-RN

I have my hi lift on my hood with ACE Engineering brackets, it is currently not locked or anything. I do live in rural Oklahoma and we don't take the jeep anywhere as a "family" so currently the farthest it's driven is to work. Where I park at work is a staff parking lot so the most that usually happens is the occasional door ding. Not saying somebody couldn't drive by and see it and decide they need it more than me. I do have it secured with nylon lock fasteners so it would take tools to get it off the hood. I am however needing to figure out a way to secure it with a lock. I mounted it on the hood primarily for looks, with the four doors it will fit under the back seat and that's where I had mine before I got the hood hinges. My grandad gave me my hi lift when I graduated high school and its been in every vehicle since. While it sucks and is a long process it has worked great for me as a winching device when paired with the hi lift winch kit. When used as a jack you better have good points on your vehicle to lift from and you better know how to use the hi lift and understand how it can get you hurt. It is generally the last method of lifting a vehicle for me but is worth its weight when I've needed it. I still carry the factory jack for changing tires for now as I am only on 285s currently. I have been checking out some bottle jacks to replace the factory jack when I go to 35s or bigger.

Thanks for all the great info! I really appreciate it. My plan is to use it for "off road" applications for I've heard the horror stories from other folks. Hard to use the factory jack in an empty river bed or on uneven terrain. Rural Oklahoma eh, hope you and your family faired well with all of the tornados this past year.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I'd say we have been lucky with the tornados over the last several years. My parents live about a 1/4 mile down a dead end dirt road, I live another 1/4 mile west of them on the same dead end dirt road. My house sets lower than theirs by probably roughly 20 feet or so. Last year with the same storm there were two tornados that went between our houses. Not touching the ground and didn't do any damage. I was at work and my niece and stepdad sent me pictures of them. Another storm last year a tornado went between their house and the paved road 1/4 mile to the east of them. Again it wasn't touched down and didn't cause damage. Year before there were several tornados that went between their house and the paved road to the east. The Native Americans in the area say that there is an old Indian legend that says our town won't be hit by a tornado and other than part of the roof of the school getting damaged by the wind during a tornado, to my knowledge there has never been anything within city limits ever damaged. All of the ones I know about skipped over the town and touched down about a mile to a mile and a half northeast of town.

Now we are getting more and more earthquakes and while most are under the 3.0s there has been some damage. Seems like we have one or two or more every day anymore.

Sorry to get off topic! Lol.

ER-RN

I'd say we have been lucky with the tornados over the last several years. My parents live about a 1/4 mile down a dead end dirt road, I live another 1/4 mile west of them on the same dead end dirt road. My house sets lower than theirs by probably roughly 20 feet or so. Last year with the same storm there were two tornados that went between our houses. Not touching the ground and didn't do any damage. I was at work and my niece and stepdad sent me pictures of them. Another storm last year a tornado went between their house and the paved road 1/4 mile to the east of them. Again it wasn't touched down and didn't cause damage. Year before there were several tornados that went between their house and the paved road to the east. The Native Americans in the area say that there is an old Indian legend that says our town won't be hit by a tornado and other than part of the roof of the school getting damaged by the wind during a tornado, to my knowledge there has never been anything within city limits ever damaged. All of the ones I know about skipped over the town and touched down about a mile to a mile and a half northeast of town.

Now we are getting more and more earthquakes and while most are under the 3.0s there has been some damage. Seems like we have one or two or more every day anymore.

Sorry to get off topic! Lol.

That's a great story! Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Top Bottom