Probably getting a hardtop

scotiez

has any of you heard of Bulldawg hardtops? I have a 2010 2 door JK with only a softop. I have been searching for a used hardtop somewhere within 400 miles from Grand Forks with NO luck. Dealer wants 2400.00 for new hardtop and wiring kit, service wants 240.00 to install the top and wire kit. They said it would take about 6 weeks to get in. But then I found Bulldawg hardtops online and they look pretty decent. Its a one piece top with NO removable panels which is fine for me cause I would probably never remove them. I live in North Dakota and only have about 3 really nice months that the soft top is handy but its also a pain getting access to the back. I would rather have a hardtop full time on my JK. What do you think of going aftermarket like bulldawg hard tops compaired to OEM? Its a lot of money but I want to make the right move with out any regrets.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
has any of you heard of Bulldawg hardtops? I have a 2010 2 door JK with only a softop. I have been searching for a used hardtop somewhere within 400 miles from Grand Forks with NO luck. Dealer wants 2400.00 for new hardtop and wiring kit, service wants 240.00 to install the top and wire kit. They said it would take about 6 weeks to get in. But then I found Bulldawg hardtops online and they look pretty decent. Its a one piece top with NO removable panels which is fine for me cause I would probably never remove them. I live in North Dakota and only have about 3 really nice months that the soft top is handy but its also a pain getting access to the back. I would rather have a hardtop full time on my JK. What do you think of going aftermarket like bulldawg hard tops compaired to OEM? Its a lot of money but I want to make the right move with out any regrets.

If you're going with aftermarket, I like the look of the Wild Boar, at least on the 4 door. Something to look into

scotiez

I have looked at wild boar and way to expensive for me. About $1000.00 more then the total an OEM would cost me, Plus they are not reliable on when they will get the hard top to you. Most people say they tell them a couple weeks but takes MONTHs to get. I don't want to wait that long.

Beyrgut

If you were in the southeast and didn't care about color I have one hanging in the garage for a 4door.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I have looked at wild boar and way to expensive for me. About $1000.00 more then the total an OEM would cost me, Plus they are not reliable on when they will get the hard top to you. Most people say they tell them a couple weeks but takes MONTHs to get. I don't want to wait that long.

I never looked into pricing since I have a factory hardtop. But WOW, that is expensive, never mind. I still think they look neat, especially on a lifted JK with a bunch of armor. :twocents:

jeff_in_rc

I to have looked at the Bull Dawg tops and like them a lot. Do they have the one with the opening side windows for the JK like they do for the YJ/TJ's? I don't remember.
My only concern is shipping to CA, it would add anywhere from $500-700 to the cost.

scotiez

I to have looked at the Bull Dawg tops and like them a lot. Do they have the one with the opening side windows for the JK like they do for the YJ/TJ's? I don't remember.
My only concern is shipping to CA, it would add anywhere from $500-700 to the cost.

I don't think they have the JK model available with opening side windows yet, I never asked when I called and talked to the guy. Shipping to me they said would be about 350.00 which isn't to bad. I really like the looks of it. Still trying to decide if I want to go for it or not.

jeff_in_rc

I don't think they have the JK model available with opening side windows yet, I never asked when I called and talked to the guy. Shipping to me they said would be about 350.00 which isn't to bad. I really like the looks of it. Still trying to decide if I want to go for it or not.

For me, I would be ALL OVER the one with the opening side windows ESPECIALLY if the windows could be removed! When I called, the guy I spoke to said that my question about removing the windows was THE MOST ASKED QUESTION they get and that they are working with the maker of the windows to see if it could be done.

Good luck with what you decide to do!

scotiez

I like the OEM hard top just fine, but finding a used one is impossible in my area. I have been looking since October of last year and I have not found one that is within 5 or 600 miles from me. everything I find is a thousand miles or more away and for that distance I would just rather buy new or find a after market and have it shipped to me. But what is holding me back on that is the cost, well over 2 grand to get anything. Once I find something I'll probably sell the soft top and all the hardware but I need a hard top 1st.

GRNHORN

I am looking to sell this hard top so I can get a soft top. Although we live 22 hours from each other if you are willing to deal I will work with you on price and shipping.

20140316_201221 (2).jpg

scotiez

I am looking to sell this hard top so I can get a soft top. Although we live 22 hours from each other if you are willing to deal I will work with you on price and shipping.

View attachment 85670

I would love to deal on that top with you. I would be willing to meet you half way to do the switch. We can talk more over the weekend on this if you want. I am heading to work in a few minutes. Let me know what you think.
PS I have the original soft top but I did buy the bestop replace a top in black twill fabric. I have the black twill on my jeep right now and its a great top, much better then the OEM one. I would let everything go, OEM and black twill with all hardware.

GRNHORN

I have done some research and the soft top you have won't fit my Jeep. I plan on buying the trek top nx so that is fine.

If you can wait until July 4th weekend I will be in Illinois and you can pick up my hard top. If this will work for you send me a pm and we can discuss price.

scotiez

It will fit cause its for 09 thru 14 but that's ok. even meeting halfway is still to far after thinking about it. If it was only the OEM top, 2010 is the only year that it is specified for. 2010 they went to a cable top and everything else was the same as the 07 thru 09, 2011 they enlarged the rear window. My bestop black twill is for model years 2009 thru 2014.

GRNHORN

It will fit cause its for 09 thru 14 but that's ok. even meeting halfway is still to far after thinking about it. If it was only the OEM top, 2010 is the only year that it is specified for. 2010 they went to a cable top and everything else was the same as the 07 thru 09, 2011 they enlarged the rear window. My bestop black twill is for model years 2009 thru 2014.

So you still want to try this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

scotiez

No, I am gona continue to look more local, and if I don't find one by august then I will just buy brand new

Top Bottom