Rugged Ridge pillar pod switch question

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
I recently installed a Rugged Ridge Pillar Pod with their four switches. Everything works fine.

However when I turn off the switch's one of the switch power light dims to off rather than just turn off.

It's also the only switch at this point wired to a accessory, my CB. CB works great.

The switches are piggy backed wired for ground and power. Switches have good ground to body and cb is grounded seperately.

Main wire is wired to battery with in line fuse.

Is this dimming to power off a issue or not and if so would be causing it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I recently installed a Rugged Ridge Pillar Pod with their four switches. Everything works fine.

However when I turn off the switch's one of the switch power light dims to off rather than just turn off.

It's also the only switch at this point wired to a accessory, my CB. CB works great.

The switches are piggy backed wired for ground and power. Switches have good ground to body and cb is grounded seperately.

Main wire is wired to battery with in line fuse.

Is this dimming to power off a issue or not and if so would be causing it.

you sure its not the sunlight making them look like they are on? i know mine look on sometimes in different lights.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
No it's not the sun light.

It didn't do it until I connected it to the CB.

pvanweelden

the slowly dimming light is from a capacitor in the circuit. how long is taking to turn off?

does the cb display slowly dim when turning it off with its stock power switch?

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
CB seems to turn off immediately. It takes maybe 1-2 seconds at the most.

I'm guessing when you say capacitor, that the actual switch has a built in capacitor.

JKFlyer

I had something like this happen and it was because I was sharing the ground with another line...did u run ground wire to another ground wire or connect to a ground on the jeep that other are connected to? For shits and giggles, try connecting to its own ground spot

This is assuming u have a truly dedicated hot/power wire which I think u said u did. Just double check both

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Hummmm, Interesting. Yes they all share a common ground and positive, then seperate wires to the accessories, as seen in attached picture

Im fairly good at running and connecting wires, but when it comes to trouble shooting capacitors, solinoids ect I'm lost.

Im like I got power to the switch and power leaves the switch to accessories, I'm good, right ;)

I did not use a relay between the switch and CB as I didn't think the CB drew enough power to warrant one.

I plan on using relays for the other switches (between switch and lights) as they will be connected to lights and ?

Attachments

• 1401413434511.jpg
    1401413434511.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Inside the CB radio there are Caps (capasiter) these are designed to hold a charge for a short amount of time, this is probably why your light slowly dims to off, its drawing the last bit of juice back from the CB radio if your sharing the wirering... nothing to worry about if it bugs you change the wires around. hope that made sense? haha

Top Bottom