Headed to Afghanistan in 1 1/2 weeks

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Well I got a job offer from a company I applied for two years ago. The job is in Afghaniland working as a helicopter mechanic on the Army's UH-60 and CH-47 helicopters. 1 year contract. The pay is too good to pass up for one year of my life so I'm taking a year off of my school to go over. I'll be in Bagram and then a good chance of Bastion. Can't wait to get there, get it done, and head back home!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
congrats on the new job. i'm sure the year will come and go before you know it. hopefully you'll come back with enough to build a hell of a jeep. :thumb:

Yeti-09

Right on man! Come on over the weathers great, lol. I've been here since march, do ready to go home!! This is my third time over here. I'm ready for a normal job with NO travel. Bargram is a cake walk base too, all the pretty air force girls are there. So you lucked out my friend. I'm stuck on a all male 10 megawatt power plant south of Kandahar.

Robar

The Enforcer
Be safe. My brother spent a little over two years total doing the same thing. Things still get pretty nasty at times.

jktubby

Be safe out there. I am sure it will go by fast, come back and fix up that jeep some more!! My bro will be heading out to kuwait next year, to start transporting big rigs. He's stoked to go and come back with the money to fix up his jeep more.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I'm looking forward to getting over there! My funnest time in my 9 year time in the Corps was when I was deployed. Turning wrenches for something besides aircrew training.

congrats on the new job. i'm sure the year will come and go before you know it. hopefully you'll come back with enough to build a hell of a jeep. :thumb:

You bet! I'll prob ship the JK to Evo or have a friend drive it out, that way it's done when I get home. Def plan on the full Evo works, 60s, and 40s.

GARBO

BAF is like a little slice of merica. pizza, BK.DFAC chow isnt too bad. but get used to wearing a pt belt lol. well shoulda read the last post befor i posted lol but hey welcome to the stan good luck stay safe and enjoy the sun. oh and enjoy all the tax free money. i know i will when i get back.

Last edited:

UP N OVER

BAF is like a little slice of merica. pizza, BK.DFAC chow isnt too bad. but get used to wearing a pt belt lol. well shoulda read the last post befor i posted lol but hey welcome to the stan good luck stay safe and enjoy the sun. oh and enjoy all the tax free money. i know i will when i get back.

Spent some time on BAF back in June 03,, before heading down to kabul,,, I ran with papa mike doing security for PRT teams,,,got all over the country, and some trigger time...It was a better experience than Iraq...Iraq being my 3 &4 tours,,, Afghanistan people, at that time were pretty much good folks, taliban weren't as effective as they are now,,,If the country wasn't heavily mined like it is, it be a damn fine place for some wheeling...Did my first "ruck run" in full body armor/weapons/ ACU's,, there,of course that was the last one also,,7 mile run around that base...well anyhow, goodluck there, keep head down,,No Drinking !! haha sgt.kovatch 28th ID (retired)

GARBO

I know this post is a little old but I agree with the idea of wheeling. I was in a nice little valley with some trails. that would make the most experienced Jeeper pee them selves. sad the some of the best wheeling spots in the world are untouchable.

Top Bottom