Rear chromoly installed, issues after

brightwhite

I installed my rear chromoly axle shafts yesterday using the write up on this forum. The install went smooth and step by step, but now I am having some problems that have come up after driving it a bit.

I had 2 issues during the install...

1) I forgot to reattach the parking break on the PASSENGER side (this is key). After I had everything back together I took it for a drive and everything was perfectly fine, no noises, no nothing. The ABS light and traction control light were lit up, but drove perfectly fine. I discovered that I forgot to re attach the parking break when I got home and pulled the break but got little to no resistance. I crawled under and re attached it. Tested the break and got tension and figured problem solved.

2) I had trouble getting those PITA speed sensors disconnected, I felt like I practically had to break them to get them lose. During the install when re attaching them, they went on really easy and one of them I can pull off by hand even with the red tab pressed in. I have driven the jeep about 30 miles now and both are still attached, but not sure if that is part of my problem.

My issue seems like a break issue?

I can hear some pretty good rubbing on the DRIVERS side. Stopping power seems the same and no issues stopping, but when I start forward I get a really good squeal until I get to about 15mph then it's just the rubbing sound.

I hade my wife engage and disengage the parking break while under the jeep thinking that my mistake not attaching the passenger side might have done something, but it seems to be engaging and releasing perfectly.

Also, I noticed a small amount of some fluid/lubricant on the inside of my driver side tire/wheel (drivers side that's making the rubbing squealing noises). Not much of a leak, just enough to notice. I am attaching two photos of that. It seems to be coming out at a very slow rate between the axle and dust shield. (The passenger side that's not making this noise has no leaks or issues).

My only thought is to pull the tire off and re install everything and see what happens?

Any thoughts or ideas on what is going on or what ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401654243.681670.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401654259.437719.jpg I need to look at?

brightwhite

Just to add something else I wasn't real clear on. When I did the test drive, when the parking break on the passenger side was not connected, I got zero issues or noises, other than the ABS and traction control lights being on. No rubbing it squealing, none of that.

David1tontj

I have a tj, and am not familiar with the jk rear brakes, but to me, it almost sounds like the auto tensioner (If there even is one on that) is now too tight from being pulled further than it normally does, and maybe you need to back it off a little so it can get a fresh start??

Again- I am not familiar with jk brakes, I don't even know how exactly they work on that rig- just throwing something out there.

Edit: this is only to address the squeaking issue. Oil is probably a bad seal

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
For the gear oil, when you pulled the old shafts you had some oil get past your inner seals and it sat in your axle tubes. It's most likely just working it's way out. What I would do is just clean it up and leave it for a day or two. If you still have a lot coming out then you prob ruined a seal.

For the breaks idk how to help with that. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone

Tcdawg

For the gear oil, when you pulled the old shafts you had some oil get past your inner seals and it sat in your axle tubes. It's most likely just working it's way out. What I would do is just clean it up and leave it for a day or two. If you still have a lot coming out then you prob ruined a seal.

For the breaks idk how to help with that. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone

this is a rear shaft...looks like he has an outer axle seal issue.

brightwhite

I am about to head out to the garage to pull it all apart again.

For the brakes - how would I go about fixing an issue with the parking break if that is what is causing the squealing and rubbing? Is it just adjusting them? Or would I be looking at diagnosing and replacing parts?

For the outer seal - damn, I was really really careful pulling the shafts and getting then back in...I guess those things may be very delicate.

David1tontj

If the jk truly has an adjuster for the parking brake, it should be able to just be backed off.. No parts necessary.

But again- I am going on more of a general car tech, not actual experience with a jk.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Tcdawg

For the brakes - how would I go about fixing an issue with the parking break if that is what is causing the squealing and rubbing? Is it just adjusting them? Or would I be looking at diagnosing and replacing parts?

For the outer seal - damn, I was really really careful pulling the shafts and getting then back in...I guess those things may be very delicate.

When you pull the axle shaft on the side of the leak, inspect the bearing race that should be in the axle tube. The rear axle seals are not what I could call delicate but, if the race is not seated in the tube correctly the seal may not operate right. Check the seal itself as well to see if there might have been some debris on it or possibly some damage to it.

jeeeep

Hooked
there is an adjustment wheel. it looks like a gear/star, you can access it fom the back of the disc but may be better to remove the wheel and drum to make sure everything is in its proper place

MTG

Caught the Bug

There is a write up on the parking brake adjustment.

You sure the shaft was torqued down all the way? Is it leaking still or just some residual oil that came out? You should not have oil in your axle tubes.

Moochie

There is a write up on the parking brake adjustment.

You sure the shaft was torqued down all the way? Is it leaking still or just some residual oil that came out? You should not have oil in your axle tubes.

There is oil in the rear axle tubes.

brightwhite

A little update, got tied up with work and had to leave town, so just pulled it apart this morning, when I pulled the tire off there was clear metal on metal rubbing from the brake caliper and the rotor. Pics attached...

Then when I pulled the shaft the thing just fell apart on me, bearings and shards of metal everywhere, grease in the axle tube etc. Pics for this as well.

It looks like maybe the axle wasn't either seated all the way in and caused the break caliper to shift and rub the caliper, then with driving, some serious failure to the axle bearings and all of that stuff. Or, could it have been manufacturer error and Nitro didn't have everything pressed on correctly?

I had it hauled into my shop by flat bed to hopefully save any further damage. They are going to see what it looks like and see if we can go to nitro for any warranty issues, or might even have to just buy a whole new shaft. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402083266.239221.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402083277.255559.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402083288.353576.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402083301.424491.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402083316.790684.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402083327.942010.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402083338.017022.jpg

Top Bottom