Peaked and tuned CB

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Alright, so while browsing the web I noticed that some people “peak and tune” their CB for better performance (within the FCC rule book) or extra bands (strictly prohibited by the FCC). I am wondering if you have seen it done and if it was beneficial? My Uniden 510 is a great little radio, but as always I’m hoping to get just a little more.

Alright, so while browsing the web I noticed that some people “peak and tune” their CB for better performance (within the FCC rule book) or extra bands (strictly prohibited by the FCC). I am wondering if you have seen it done and if it was beneficial? My Uniden 510 is a great little radio, but as always I’m hoping to get just a little more.

Peak and tweaking isn't exactly legal either. FCC says no more than 4 watts (which is stock out of the box) and it isn't too like that you'll get much more than that by having it peaked. A good noise canceling mic and good antenna system is about the best I would recommend for that particular radio.

kevinp

There is a dude here who does that kind of stuff to radios. He can sit in his Suburban and talk to Australia. From Oahu. It's nuts. Anyway, he said that very few radios actually transmit 4 watts out of the box. He does tune and tweak radios to bring them up to that limit and to keep it legal, but is also willing to push them up to 25 watts plus, if the customer would like. Plus there is something he does to make it transmit "cleanly," whatever that means. I haven't submitted mine to him for service, because it does what I want it to do. However, before he even suggests tearing into a radio, he puts all kinds of meters (beyond the SWR) on the system to make sure the cabling, antenna, and antenna mount aren't causing problems. He isn't crazy about Jeeps because of the challenges with ground plane . Which is why he has a Suburban. haha

Kevin

There is a dude here who does that kind of stuff to radios. He can sit in his Suburban and talk to Australia. From Oahu. It's nuts. Anyway, he said that very few radios actually transmit 4 watts out of the box. He does tune and tweak radios to bring them up to that limit and to keep it legal, but is also willing to push them up to 25 watts plus, if the customer would like. Plus there is something he does to make it transmit "cleanly," whatever that means. I haven't submitted mine to him for service, because it does what I want it to do. However, before he even suggests tearing into a radio, he puts all kinds of meters (beyond the SWR) on the system to make sure the cabling, antenna, and antenna mount aren't causing problems. He isn't crazy about Jeeps because of the challenges with ground plane . Which is why he has a Suburban. haha

Kevin

What he does is called "shooting skip". Anyone can do it with the right radio and right antenna setup. Also, you CANNOT get 25watts out of every radio. Case in point, the OP's radio will never see those kind of numbers without the help of a kicker( Linear Amplifier).

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yup I won't do a kicker. Don't need it. When I started this treat I was thinking about extending my highway range just a little. Talking with random truckers is a great way to pass the time. Just seems like it is not worth it. Ill keep what I have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

kevinp

What he does is called "shooting skip". Anyone can do it with the right radio and right antenna setup. Also, you CANNOT get 25watts out of every radio. Case in point, the OP's radio will never see those kind of numbers without the help of a kicker( Linear Amplifier).

He said I could with my Jeep. He sold me a Monkey Made MM-6 antenna and said he could work on a Cobra 29 for my Jeep to make me talk to California and Australia. It is an awesome concept and a temptation (calling for emergency help in an area with no phone service almost makes it worth it), but I like my Cobra 19. It fits behind the glove box. haha

finger3

I red somewhere that running two antennas, one on each side mounted identicly will give you more range in front and behind but you will get less to the sides

I red somewhere that running two antennas, one on each side mounted identicly will give you more range in front and behind but you will get less to the sides

Running "co-phased" antennas is a bit tricky as they are supposed to be in the neighborhood of 102" apart, something that can't be accomplished with our narrow Jeeps.

kevinp

Running "co-phased" antennas is a bit tricky as they are supposed to be in the neighborhood of 102" apart, something that can't be accomplished with our narrow Jeeps.

Maybe why the dude here has his on a Suburban? The entire interior of the thing is ripped out and it's lined with batteries. Pretty beastly, in the CB world anyway.

sean.m.adams33

Hope I am not Highjacking but does anyone have any experience with the Uniden Bearcat 980 or 880? Just weighing it against the cobra I had in the stolen jeep.

witchdoctor

with a well set up rig, one can can talk "skip" with only 4 watts. I had a uniden 510 years ago. peaked they can put out 9 watts. but like was said before... illegal. so ya'll have been warned. and yes... jeeps suck for ground plane,lol.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
with a well set up rig, one can can talk "skip" with only 4 watts. I had a uniden 510 years ago. peaked they can put out 9 watts. but like was said before... illegal. so ya'll have been warned. and yes... jeeps suck for ground plane,lol.

That is good information, but since ridg3runner’s response I’ve decided not to do it and just get a HAM license instead. I’ve already got to worry about base and real police, I don’t want to worry about the FCC as well lol:crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

Looney Tune

Hope I am not Highjacking but does anyone have any experience with the Uniden Bearcat 980 or 880? Just weighing it against the cobra I had in the stolen jeep.

Cobra's have Uniden boards and parts in them...just different cabinets and names....at least all the ones I have worked on.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looney Tune

If you want power without using a kicker or even with one..you cant hardly beat this radio....RCI 2970N2.. it does 10, 11 and 12 meters. .11 being cb band. This radio has selectable power from about 1/2 watt to 200 watts....and slides 1 kc at a time between channels. ..I have talked all over the world with mine but you need the right conditions. .and that has nothing to do with power....you can send a signal further with quality modulation. .than you can with power......I can push 2200 watts but I normally only run about 1 or 2 watts...but when I push it...nobody in town can talk over me...:D

Looney Tune

If you want power without using a kicker or even with one..you cant hardly beat this radio....RCI 2970N2.. it does 10, 11 and 12 meters. .11 being cb band. This radio has selectable power from about 1/2 watt to 200 watts....and slides 1 kc at a time between channels. ..I have talked all over the world with mine but you need the right conditions. .and that has nothing to do with power....you can send a signal further with quality modulation. .than you can with power......I can push 2200 watts but I normally only run about 1 or 2 watts...but when I push it...nobody in town can talk over me...:D

Attachments

• 1402712380649.jpg
    1402712380649.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 84

Looney Tune

And just some more food for thought....if your using your radio for close range trail talk...keep it low power or you will be over modulated and nobody can understand you..

Top Bottom