3.6L auto with 4.88 on 32s?

Jackal01

3.6L auto with 4.88/4.56 on 32s?

While in the market for a JKU I found a 2012 JKU Sport automatic that I like. The only con is that it comes with 3.21s. I called the dealer back after I initially showed interest and I told them no deal because of the 3.21s. He then proposed knocking off the cost to regear. I told him about $1500 out the door is what it would cost roughly. Next I offered to him why not y’all just put in new gears for me and he did not seem to have a problem with the idea. See what price comes out to. Of course the dealer will not do the work. I will find out what shop will do it so I know if they do quality work or if I need to pick a shop (if they allow that). My plan is to get to 35s next year and 37s way down the road (along with driveline upgrade, etc, etc) but it has Terra Grapplers on it right now, just shy of 32s I believe. Looking at the charts 4.56 and 4.88 seem to be an ok/decent route to go. Would there be any issues with going with 4.88 until the larger tires are on that would just not make it worth it to do it or just go with something smaller like the 4.56?

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It wouldnt be an "issue" but you will literally limit your Jeep to 50mph or so, otherwise I think 4.88s would be unbearable with stock tires, just my opinion. 4.56s would be a bit better.

Jackal01

It would be an "issue" but you will literally limit your Jeep to 50mph or so, otherwise I think 4.88s would be unbearable with stock tires, just my opinion. 4.56s would be a bit better.

Kinda what I was thinking. Luckily this will not be a DD. I am going to try and get 35s as soon as possible but I am giving myself a year to get everything together.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Kinda what I was thinking. Luckily this will not be a DD. I am going to try and get 35s as soon as possible but I am giving myself a year to get everything together.

If it was a few months, I think I could deal with it, but a year? That's pushing it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Good to know. So 4.56 will be good all around for trails and highway driving?

4.56 is a great ratio for 35s. Some at higher elevations prefer 4.88s for the extra pep, or if they are running heavy. Both are perfectly good with 35s, just that the concern was driving around for a year with 32s on 4.88s might get a little annoying.

Jackal01

I agree with this. I only pose this question since the dealer is entertaining the idea of swapping gears. If I can get the 3.21 swapped to 4.56 while I deal with my 32s for a while I think that is a decent plan. I like the Jeep but I am not gonna break my back trying to get the deal to work or live with a crappy-driving Jeep. I only thought of going this route since they offered to knock off the cost of doing it. I hope this makes sense. :thinking:

Top Bottom